32723Re: back to the assembly

  • Kenneth Doll
    Aug 1, 2008
      I am not sure that I can really say much more than vespers, matins,
      and liturgy are services and when they occur, they are served by
      those present.
      I don't actually recall the term that may or may not have been used
      for when I was a "reader" (I don't remember the techical term) in TEC
      and led MP or EP. Any thoughts?
      KD

      --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, cantor03@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 7/31/2008 11:46:11 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > dollpka@... writes:
      >
      > This is usually served during Vespers
      > when served as part of a vigil. >>>>
      >
      > I have been interested in the use of the verb, serve,
      > employed liturgically by the Eastern Rites.
      >
      > I am familiar with the term as used in the West,
      > i.e., acolytes/servers/liturgical assistants at the
      > Liturgy, but only recently have been aware that
      > the term is employed differently in the East.
      >
      > I find that my dictionary makes reference to the Western
      > liturgical usage but not to the Eastern usage. According to
      > my dictionary, the verb came into the English language in
      > the 13th Century via French.
      >
      > I have no problem with the adaptation and definition
      > of serve as it appears to be used in the East, but I
      > am curious when the East started using this English
      > verb in their characteristic way. How did this come
      > about?
      >
      > Even if we have already had an explanation of this
      > subject on list, I'd still appreciate some information.
      >

      > David Strang.
    • Show all 62 messages in this topic