29313Lit & Entertaiment Culture

  • Tom Poelker
    Feb 1, 2007
      Thank you for the correction.
      What I should have said is that liturgy leaders are not
      entertainers.

      I think that among the ways we can describe US society is to
      say that we are an entertainment culture. We have more free
      time than any other culture in history. Sports are
      entertainment not participatory. News has become
      entertainment. In the same way as it happened with the
      news, I see entertainment values assumed without question in
      so much liturgical planning and performance. That includes
      such things as pushing for variety and the newest or latest
      thing. It includes performances which draw attention to
      themselves instead of conveying text to the assembly.

      Would anyone like to contribute other items of entertainment
      values infiltrating liturgy?

      Tom Poelker
      St. Louis, Missouri
      USA
      ---
      Bad liturgy is always the result
      of bad planning and sloppy execution.
      It doesn't matter what the rite is.
      --Doug Cowling
      St. Philip's Church, Toronto

      James O'Regan wrote:

      > Tom (et al) wrote and I snipped:
      >
      > > Liturgy leaders are not performers, although they definitely
      > > need and often lack performance skills, nor are they
      > > curators of cultural treasures.
      >
      > To say that liturgical leaders are not performes is
      > simply not useful. In fact, if one says that these leaders
      > need "performance skills" then one is saying that these
      > leaders are, in fact, performers. They are not actors
      > because they are not in a play. It is really quite simple
      > and need not bother anyone needlessly.
      >
      > If one sees these leaders as performers then there is a
      > wealth of help for them. Liturgical leaders do not need
      > leadership skills, they need performance skills. They
      > need the type of performance skills that works in this
      > scenario: an occasion of a single performer speaking
      > an alien text before witnesses, and occasionally
      > speaking these texts with witnesses and in response to
      > witnesses. And occasionally speaking their own words,
      > but, by and large, speaking someone else's words.
      >
      > James O'Regan

    • Show all 70 messages in this topic