      -----Original Message-----

      From: asteresplanetai <asteresplanetai@...>
      Subj: Re: [liturgy-l] "blessed memory"
      Date: Tue Oct 4, 2005 1:08 am
      Size: 3K
      To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com

      +++

      > From: "Kenneth Doll" <dollpka@...>
      > Subj: [liturgy-l] Re: "blessed memory"

      > As to the need to distinguish on this forum, I would expect that it
      > is probably either unintentional or simply natural.
      >
      > To a departed Orthodox Christian, we naturally apply this
      > designation, especially if we knew them or their writings in this
      > case. Perhaps Rdr. James even personally knew Fr. Alexander. To
      > someone else, it might not necessarily apply.

      > From: <mbennett1944@...>
      > Subject: Re: Re: "blessed memory"
      >
      > One thing this lurker appreciates about liturgy-l is that subscribers
      > can unapologetically use language as those of their tradition use it.
      > From time-to-time one is asked "What do you mean by that?" and the
      > answer provides new, interesting information for other subscribers,
      > which is one reason for being here. When somebody else finds nothing
      > new or interesting in the answer, (s)he is free to dispose of the
      > answer in the usual manner.

      I don't personally see anything wrong with saying 'of blessed memory'
      of anyone; we bless God over the memory of each person he created, yes?

      I rather suspect the distinction in question was simply one of habit.
      Some of us actually knew Fr Alexander, or know him warmly through his
      writings and through the still rather warm memories of him which are
      preserved in our community; whereas Dom Gregory Dix and others not only
      are more distant from all of us in time, but also distant in space
      (England) and community. Yet it seems unlikely that we would say 'of
      blessed memory' even of an orthodox person who died in 1810; i mean
      like, who has any memory of them at all, by this point? But you could,
      and there wouldn't be anything wrong with it-- it would just be a bit
      odd.

      > Further, I found this answer particularly timely and interesting,
      > having recently observed the 7th anniversary of my protestant father's
      > death, having never fully understood the Orthodox status of the
      > prayers that the Orthodox priest had offered publicly at the request
      > of my Orthodox brother.

      Regarding Orthodox funeral services for non-Orthodox persons, naturally
      we make a distinction. It is not that we cannot pray for them (we can
      and should!), but the service itself is entirely geared to Orthodox
      Christians who have died. So it would be inappropriate to pray for
      someone as an "Orthodox Christian" who had not been and perhaps would
      not have wanted to be one! However, in the priest's service book, there
      is a memorial rite ("Trisagion") for non-Orthodox Christians. It does
      not include the litanies and hymns which would be appropriate only for
      an Orthodox believer, but it does include the usual Psalms and hymns
      which are general and not specifically aimed towards Orthodox
      Christians.

      At the very bottom of the very poorly-formatted page at
      http://www.orthodox.net/services/, you can find a copy of this "Requiem
      for Non-Orthodox", if interested.

      Regards,

      John Burnett