22807Re: "blessed memory"

  • Kenneth Doll
    Oct 3, 2005
      Hello John,

      As to the need to distinguish on this forum, I would expect that it
      is probably either unintentional or simply natural.

      To a departed Orthodox Christian, we naturally apply this
      designation, especially if we knew them or their writings in this
      case. Perhaps Rdr. James even personally knew Fr. Alexander. To
      someone else, it might not necessarily apply.

      Interestingly, even an appellation such as Father for a priest (or
      even a deacon) is not always used if there is not some relationship.
      They might be designated Priest John or Deacon Basil instead. We
      also use the term Master/Despota/Vladyka to refer to our bishops.

      Perhaps in this forum it would have been better to leave it off all
      together???? It does give a sense of how we regards our departed
      brothers and sisters though.

      With best regards,
      Kenneth Doll

      --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, john19@u... wrote:
      > Thanks for your response. I have seen the term used by non-Orthodox
      > when referring to other non-Orthodox. I am unsure as to the need
      > distinguish in this forum.
      > John Dornheim
      > >Hello John,
      > >
      > >I suspect the reason is that we Orthodox Christians would not use
      > >this phrase for _any_ departed non-Orthodox Christians. I don't
      > >think that this is anything intended directly at Dix or Underhill.
      > >
      > >We pray publically "memory eternal" for our departed brothers and
      > >sisters, but only privately for those outside.
      > >
      > >This does not answer the question "why", but that might take us
      > >outside the purpose of the list.
      > >
      > >Best regards,
      > >Kenneth Doll
      > >
      > >--- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, John Dornheim <john19@u...>
      > wrote:
      > >> I wonder why Schmemann is of "blessed memory" and Underhill
      > and Dix
      > >> are not.
      > >> John Dornheim

      > called