22796RE: [liturgy-l] Night Prayer (Compline)- your assistance please

  • C. William Westerfield
    Oct 2, 2005
      This is the form of Compline used at St. Gregory's Abbey (Three Rivers,
      Anglican Benedictine). I have put Rubrics for the service in parentheses:

      Pax Christi,

      --
      C. William Westerfield
      will@...

      Vocation is "The place where our deep gladness meets the hunger of the
      world", Frederick Buechner
      A Reading (Typically they read from the letters of John Cassian. It is done
      in total darkness with the exception of a light for the reader).

      Confraternity Prayers (The tabbed text is the responsorary):

      Let us pray:
      For those in pain or sorrow,
      Mother of Jesus, pray.
      For those on doubt or fear,
      Mother of Jesus, pray.
      For all bishops, priests and other ministers,
      Mother of Jesus, pray.
      For all monks, nuns, and other religious,
      Mother of Jesus, pray
      For all the members of our Confraternity,
      Mother of Jesus, pray.
      May all who honor you
      Know the power of your prayer.
      Holy Benedict, Father of monks,
      Pray for us.
      God of Hosts bring us back;
      Let your face shine on us and we shall be saved.

      Let us Pray. Stir up, O Lord, in your Church the Spirit which our blessed
      father and abbot Benedict served; that we, being filled with the same
      spirit, may learn to love what he loved, and put into practice what he
      taught. Grant us, O Lord, we ask you, to be steadfast in the service of
      your will, that your servants may grow in number and holiness; through
      Christ our Lord. Amen.

      A Silent examination of conscience

      A corporate confession and absolution
      I confess * (Pause) to Almighty God, to all the saints in heaven, and to
      you, my brothers, that I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word, and deed,
      through my own fault. Therefore I ask the Blessed Virgin Mary, all the
      angels and saints, and you, my brothers, to pray for me to the Lord, our
      God.

      May Almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us our sins, and bring us to life
      everlasting. May the almighty and merciful Lord grant us pardon,
      absolution, and remission of our sins. Amen.

      V. O God, make speed to save us.
      R. O Lord, make hast to help us.

      (When saying the Gloria Patri, remain bowed from the head to waist, through
      "...the Holy Spirit)

      Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in
      the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen. Alleluia (Alleluia is
      omitted in Lent),

      Hymn
      Now in the fading light of day
      Maker of all to you we pray
      That with your ever watchful love,
      You guard and keep us from above.

      Help and defend us through the night,
      Danger and terror put to flight.
      Never let evil have its way;
      Preserve us for another day

      Father Almighty, this be done,
      Through Jesus Christ our Lord your Son,
      Whom in the Spirit we adore,
      Who reigns with you forever more.
      Amen.

      Psalms 4, 90, 133 (without Antiphon)

      Chapter (Any one of these may be used. R. is Thanks be to God.)

      I. Deut. 6:4-7
      II. Rev. 22:4,5
      III. I Thess. 5:9,10
      IV. I Peter 5:8,9
      V. Eph. 4:26,27
      VI. I Thess. 5:23
      VII. Jer. 14:9

      V. Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit (E.T. Alleluia)
      R. It is you who will redeem me (E.T. Alleluia)

      Let us Pray.

      (There are 8 Prayers, most all of which are taken out of the American BCP).

      V. Let us bless the Lord.
      R. Thanks be to God.

      Blessing
      May the Amighty and merciful God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, bless us and
      keep us. Amen.

      (One of the following Antiphons to Our Lady, is sung, according to the
      season. After the Antiphon and final suffrage, either "Asperges me" or
      "Vidi aquam (for E.T)" is said. The Greater Silence then begins, which
      lasts until after Mass on the following Day. I have included only this
      season's Antiphon, in English. The community sings it in Latin. However
      since all of the marks would be lost in plain text, I am only providing the
      English. I have all of the Antiphons in a formatted Word document which I
      would be happy to share with anyone who desires it).

      After Pentecost, until Advent
      Hail, O Queen, Mother of Mercy!
      Life, sweetness and hope to us: we greet you!
      To you we cry, exiled children of Even.
      To you we sigh, mourning and weeping in the vale of tears.
      Therefore, indeed, O our Advocate,
      Turn those merciful eyes of yours on us.
      And Jesus,
      The blessed fruit of your womb,
      Reveal to us, after this exile,
      O gentle, O tender,
      O sweet Virgin Mary!

      The Lord Almighty grant us a peaceful night and a perfect end. Amen.

      (During the saying of the Asperges me, the Abbot (or Prior in his absence)
      sprinkles the Community, and then the visitors, with holy water with the
      silver asperges.

      Ant. Purify me, O Lord * with hyssop, then I shall be clean; O wash me; I
      shall be whiter than snow.

      Ps. Have mercy on me, God, in your kindness. In your compassion blot out
      my offense. Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
      As it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forver. Amen.

      Ant. Purify me, O Lord...

      (All leave the sanctuary in silence)