22795Re: [liturgy-l] Re: Night Prayer (Compline)- your assistance please

  • John Dornheim
    Oct 2, 2005
      It is a fine volume, a companion to Celtic Daily Prayer. Both are sadly
      out of print.
      John Dornheim
      On Oct 2, 2005, at 9:35 AM, cfortunato@... wrote:

      > There is a book called "Celtic Night Prayer" which contains the form of
      > prayer from a community of monastics in Northumbria. They have a
      > different
      > Compline for each night of the week. Here's a sample:
      >
      > ____________________
      >
      > * Indicates a change of reader.
      > All say together the sections in bold type.
      > R Indicates response by all.
      > R In peace will I lie down, for it is You, O Lord,
      > You alone who makes me to rest secure.
      > Silently (make the sign of the Cross)
      > The Sacred Three
      > To save
      > To shield
      > To surround
      > The hearth
      > the home
      > this night
      > and every night.
      > * Search me, O God, and know my heart.
      > Test me and know my thoughts. R
      > * See if there is any wicked way in me. R
      > * And lead me in the way everlasting. R
      > O Father, O Son, O Holy Spirit,
      > forgive me my sins.
      > O only – begotten Son of the heavenly Father,
      > forgive.
      > O God who is one,
      > O God who is true,
      > O God who is first,
      > O God who is one substance,
      > O God only mighty,
      > in three Persons, truly merciful,
      > forgive.
      > * O God of life, this night,
      > O darken not to me thy light. R
      > * O God of life this night,
      > close not Thy gladness to my sight. R
      > * Keep Your people, Lord,
      > in the arms of Your embrace.
      > Shelter them under Your wings. R
      > * Be their light in darkness.
      > Be their hope in distress.
      > Be their calm in anxiety. R
      > * Be strength in their weakness. R
      > * Be their comfort in pain. R
      > * Be their song in the night. R
      > * Be it on Your own beloved arm,
      > O God of grace that I in peace shall awake. R
      > Be the peace of the Spirit mine this night.
      > Be the peace of the Son mine this night.
      > Be the peace of the Father mine this night.
      > The peace of all peace be mine this night
      > In the name of the Father, (make the sign of the Cross )
      > And of the Son,
      > And of the Holy Spirit. Amen

      > Visit the liturgy-l homepage at
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/liturgy-l/To write to the
      > owners/moderators, please send an email to:
      > liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.com
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      "Faith is believing that one of two things will happen," she said.
      "That there will be something solid for you to stand on -- Or that you
      will be taught to fly."
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic