22789Re: [liturgy-l] Night Prayer (Compline)- your assistance please

  • John Dornheim
    Oct 1, 2005
      I wonder why Schmemann is of "blessed memory" and Underhill and Dix are
      not.
      John Dornheim
      On Oct 1, 2005, at 5:29 PM, James Morgan wrote:

      > Dear Amy:
      > Welcome to this list.
      > Hard to know where to start!
      >
      > The thing I have found most helpful in my own journey is that
      > worshipping as
      > part of a local community over a period of time is basic. It trumps
      > reading
      > about liturgy and worship, since actually doing it, praying and
      > singing week
      > by week is the way Christians have always done it.
      >
      > One of the classics, a bit dated perhaps, is 'Worship' by Evelyn
      > Underhill.
      > Then there is 'The Shape of the Liturgy' by Gregory Dix. There does
      > not
      > seem to be a basic book about Eastern Orthodox worship that is readily
      > available. There are many studies, historical and theological on the
      > Divine
      > Liturgy and other services but these all seem to be rather
      > 'technical'. Fr.
      > Alexander Schmemann of blessed memory wrote a book called 'An
      > Introduction
      > to Liturgical Theology', and several other books of that ilk. Perhaps I
      > could work uu a biliography of things I have found helpful. Some of
      > course
      > are not easily available.
      >
      >> From a Western pov you might want to peruse some of Phyllis Tickle's
      >> books
      > such as Prayers for Springtime and The Divine Hours.
      >
      > And of course, I don't know if you attended any Eastern Orthodox
      > services
      > during your journey, but we have a wealth of things, more than I could
      > begin
      > to list here!
      >
      > Rdr. James Morgan
      > Olympia, WA

      "Faith is believing that one of two things will happen," she said.
      "That there will be something solid for you to stand on -- Or that you
      will be taught to fly."
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic