22787Re: [liturgy-l] Night Prayer (Compline)- your assistance please

  • Amy Mark
    Oct 1, 2005
      Hi!
      Thanks for the prayer! Actually, I'm not at all familiar with the compline inthe breviary (I'm not even sure I know what the breviary is...), and would love to learn more.

      You see, I come from an evangelical background, so there is a whole world of worship resources that I know nothing about. I have a deep passion for the worship life of the Church, so much so that I made it the primary focus of my seminary training. I suppose it is a phenomenon of the evangelical tradition that you have to actually choose a focus like that. But that's a whole other conversation.

      The point is, while I was in seminary, I conducted a study of worship in the Church, the main goal being just to find out how the Church worships today, and what role worship plays in the life of the congregation. So I visited different churches every week for two years, from different traditions and denominations, different ethnic backgrounds, rural and urban, large and small, and from varying economic situations. It was amazing. However, the sheer scope of my study meant that I was not able to glean as much in terms of specific worship practices and traditions. There is such a depth and breadth, such a richness, that I just couldn't reach in the time I had to work with. That's part of the reason I joined this group. I want to learn as much as possible. I believe that worship is our response to God, and as I learn how others respond to God, I learn more about who God is, what God has done, is doing, and will do.

      So, if you're willing, I'd love to learn as much as you're willing to share with me. I believe that one of the best ways to build unity in the Church is to learn the story of God as it has been played out in the lives of others, and to embrace that as part of our own story. After all, my story, and your story, the story of every church, and the stories of the Church, are all only part of God's story. I want to know as much of God's story as I possibly can.

      Thanks so much, oh, and I'm sorry this email got so long. I tend to be overly verbose... talk too much, write too much, you know.

      Grace and peace,
      Amy Mark