22673Re: [liturgy-l] Re: The Good Old Days

    Sep 7, 2005
      As was noted on a previus post, German sang; the Irish didn't. Lutherans also sang German Catholic hymns such as "All creatures of all our God and King" (set to Lasst uns erfreuen), "Holy God we praise your name" (Grosser Gott), and "Lo, how a rose e're blooming" (Es ist ein Rose entsprungen). Hymnody has been an ecumenical expression. "O sacred head, now wounded" is a text amplified by Paul Gerhadt from Bernard of Clairvaux. "Fath of our fathers" is, I believe, a Catholic hymn extolling confessors of the faith persecuted by Protestants, now sung lustily by Protestants.

      Frank C. Senn

      Scott Knitter <scottknitter@...> wrote:
      It's interesting to recall that one of the first few hymns we sang in
      RC churches in the 1960s was that great Catholic standard, "A mighty
      fortress." :) It was quite a few years later that I learned it is a
      Lutheran fight song. In fact, many of the hymns I remember from my
      early days were sung to German chorale tunes: "Praise to the Lord,
      the Almighty," "On this day, the first of days," "O sacred head."
      Other hymns often used included "Beautiful Savior" and "Faith of our
      fathers."