Re: [littlewars] AIP new releases

  • Mike Blake
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 3, 2013
      Charley

      I will try to find them and scan them for you.

      The books – ISBN 05-604430-9 is the all Japanese one; can’t find the uniforms only one at the moment but will keep looking; the other one you want to get hold of is a splendid book on the whole Japanese  period 1853-1930 – Rene Chartrand, Japanese War Art & Uniforms 1853-1930, Atglen PA; Schiffer, 2011 – it has lots of colour plates, all the uniform Regs and an excellent text by a master uniform & military history buff – a Must Have!

      One point though – the AIP BU Japanese are in uniforms which didn’t come in until the 1870s, after the Boshin War. For the earlier period there was a fascinating mix of styles, and actually ACW figures are going to be nearer the mark than BU ones.

      Cheers

      Mike

      Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2013 1:45 PM
      Subject: Re: [littlewars] AIP new releases

      Mike,

      If you could mention any ideas you remember from the magazine, please note them!  I have no info on this conflict, except for the picture book from the movie (which everyone seems to hate from a historical point of view),and they sound great!  I think that the samurai actually used what few modern weapons they had gladly, wore some Western dress, etc.

      Charley

    • celsdeny
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 3, 2013
        Mike,

        Thanks so much for the info and promise of more!  I recall that Jamie Delson had an "alternate history" campaign going on where Czarist Russian invaded the western US late in the 19th century (or early 20th), so I plan to get those Japanese into action repeatedly, even if I have to make stuff up!  I just got my AIP order in with Tony's wife Marilyn--yay!

        A recent book said that Theodore Roosevelt actually advised Japan to take Korea as a step toward equality with the European powers.  Of course, he also thought that the Philippines were going to be profitable for the USA economically.

        I like to promote my activities enthusiastically, but I do recall a British WWII comic who had an American member described as "Hank the Yank: he's all mouth and pants!"

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 3, 2013
          Charley, having experienced your enthusiasm first hand I wouldn’t have you any other way!

          Mike

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 3, 2013
            these are interesting! I'm pretty keen on seeing the spanish to see if they'll work for the Philippines.

            --- In littlewars@yahoogroups.com, celsden@... wrote:

            > "I see the fireworks. I see the cheers and the pomp and parades! I hear the bells ringing out!"
            > --John Adams, 1776
            >

            > "Dee-lighted!"
            > --Theodore Roosevelt
            >

            > I've now looked at the Armies In Plastic site, where the most anticipated figures in 54mm history are now available; shipping March 17. Early 1900's Japanese in dark blue, white, and khaki for the Boxer Rebellion, Russo-Japanese War, the invasion of Korea, etc. Has it really been 15 years or so since Tony asked us for topics besides his first WWI sets that no one else had ever made in 54mm, and proceeded to make so many of them, (as well as others eventually on more well worn themes)? These Victorian Era Japanese were among the first and most widely requested way back then, and now here they are at last! Yay! Hurrah! Banzai!
            >

            > Also long awaited from AIP is the new Spanish set in historical light blue (you can paint white stripes on them if you want to reproduce the only seersucker uniforms ever issued by a major power) or as "Cuban Insurrecto" rebels in white (or more Spanish--you could even paint light blue stripes on them I suppose, if you're completely nuts). These are now the only Spanish Spanish American War figures ever issued besides the BMC, which I have in white, white with green straw hats, and white striped in blue (because I'm nuts too). And I imagine they'll work for Mexican and South American as well. Viva!
            >

            > I'll be getting the 1812 British for my Napoleonic collection as well for now. But we're much too well mannered to make vulgar displays of emotion about it at our club, eh wot? Perhaps off to the pub on the sly... Well, all right Tony old chap--fine, you've done it--Good Show, Stout Fellow, and All That!
            >

            > That Tony...he's mentioned a couple of other Victorian Era subjects to me, but never these, and I'm completely surprised. Since the big boom in plastic 54mm seems to me these days be more or less over, I don't know what the big fuss is about new production still being Top Secret--but then, I'm not trying to run a business.
            >

            > Chompin' At The Bit Charley
            > ***

          • celsdeny
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 4, 2013
              AIP and Related Memories

              According to Marilyn the other day, it was in 1997, almost exactly 15 years ago as I estimated, that Armies in Plastic started tooling out their plastic 54mm line.  Until then, Tony had run a metal figure hobby shop right at the entrance to the West Point US Military Academy, although oddly enough for a local boy, I'd never been there.  They have a nice museum at the school, including things like Herman Goering's jewel incrusted Nazi Field Marshall's baton!  AIP was so successful that eventually, not long ago, they closed the shop and went online selling only plastics.  And being here in the same state down in Brooklyn (Marilyn is from the Bronx, she said), I get my orders only a day or two after they ship.

              The spirit of the company has always been filling in niches that didn't exist.  Although they've expanded since then into some of the mainstream subjects like ACW, they still concentrate on eras no one else has made.  One of the reason I'm always surprised at the top security on their upcoming sets, is that often they literally have no competition! While they have added product to many periods, all of which I have bought in multiples over the years except for last years modern sets, they practically created the Victorian Colonial Era in 54mm plastics, which they continue to add to up to the present.

              I well remember my joy at receiving their kilted British Scots infantry in red, which replaced the old Britain's Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders I sold years ago, when I gave up my 80 Britain's metal figures from my childhood to finance more plastics that cost less than half the price.  I sold them to Steve Balkan, the best known metal figure expert here on the East Coast, who straightforwardly gave me half the then market value of my figures, but more if I took things like Britain's Deetail figures or vehicles in trade--he had these "cheapies" hidden in his back room.  Puffing on his pipe while carefully repairing an old metal vehicle in his one room shop under a Manhattan book store, (his place now sadly closed up) Steve would cheerfully discuss the collecting hobby with all comers, and was the advisor to auction houses like Christie's when they sold lots of rare old figures.  Like the old crew based around the Imperial War Museum in England I visited in the Seventies in their old store, he would "soldier on" long enough for me to enjoy hearing from the older gang in the hobby.

              In the last 15 years, for me, AIP has been the main "go to" company for 54mm.  Their sculpts are not the best, but they are generally good, and paint up well.  With their releases in different colors for period variation, they and their customers get the most variation out of their product.  And with their buy 3 get 1 free and now buy 5 get 2 free if you purchase directly from them, they are still a good value for your money!

              Charley