Re: [LitCanada] Sveiki.

  • Kenmunications
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 15, 2010
      Hello again,

      --I do not know of any Canadian legal term 'Regular Tourist'; I think that
      the legal term is 'Tourist'. Tourists who are *citizens* of certain
      countries (including the US, but probably not LT) do not require a visa to
      visit Canada; however, the 'term' of the visit is not long (always less than
      6 months; may be limited to 'x' number of days in a 360/365 day period).
      Therefore, it seems that you would need a 'Tourist Visa', to 'visit' (not
      including 'work in') Canada.

      --There is another type of visa: 'Business Visitor' -- which may be of
      interest to you, because it would be this type of Visa (which is 'temporary'
      -- a 'short' period) that enables artists (and others) to enter Canada to
      perform (etc.) for remuneration (money !). However, such a "Business
      Visitor" visa would be to perform for/at a *particular* event, *not* to
      enable other (subsequently contracted) performances, which were not listed
      on the visa application.

      --There is also 'Student Visa' -- to attend a school/college/course in
      Canada. This does not entitle to 'work' in Canada. However, there is some
      possible exception, where the Canadian school requires certain 'work', as
      part of its course requirements.

      --There are some other types of (temporary, short-term) visas; probably not
      important to you.

      --With any visa, to any country, the most important considerations are: (1)
      the visitor can financially support him/herself during the visit, (2)
      certainty that the visitor will leave (!!) -- meaning 'substantial' contacts
      in another country, that shows that the visitor will not remain beyond the
      visa period.

      * * *
      --A "Seasonal Visitor" (which is not a visa, and no 'document' is available
      to recognize such status) is a person who usually has some type of 'regular'
      place of residence in Canada (although that could be a hotel !). The main
      advantage of this 'designation' is to enable the importation to Canada (from
      the US) of household furnishings and personal 'effects', without the payment
      of any duty/taxes. And, such may provide advantages for the tax-free return
      of such items to the US.

      --I believe that 'Seasonal Visitor' is limited to US citizens. However, my
      info is *old* -- for the 13 years before I came to LT (7 years ago).

      * * *
      --I think that Toronto would be an excellent choice for your profession.
      But, I think that Canada is somewhat different (e.g., than the US), in that
      there is a significant Canada-wide interest/funding for cultural events to
      be brought to smaller cities, and some very-small cities. ["We don't have
      it; we want it; we shall have it."] Also, the French-speaking province of
      Quebec (especially the cities of Montreal and Quebec city) have significant
      cultural programs, in which many non-Canadians perform [including on the
      streets (!!) [local 'permit' required), especially during the many festivals
      (year-round)].

      --Perhaps, you need a Canadian 'agent' (for performing artists) !!

      * * *
      --I do not have any remaining performance/artist contacts in Canada.

      * * *
      --Let us be clear about one important thing: 'employment offers', to be
      used to obtain a visa, should be REAL, not any 'favour' from someone who
      will provide a piece of paper, where there is no actual intention of
      employment. Do not confuse with 'letter of invitation', from the Soviet era
      !!
      :)

      * * *
      --In my original message to you, there was a 'footer' that had some LT words
      (with letters having diacritical marks); when you replied to my message, my
      footer had all of the diacritical-mark letters changed to nonsense
      characters -- making those word(s) unreadable ... FYI: I think that this
      is because of something called "unicode settings"; I really don't know (but,
      I think that it is unrelated to 'web browser', 'virtual keyboard', or 'web
      version'; whatever) ... when I came to LT, I asked my neighbour, a
      16-year-old, to fix this problem with my desktop computer; in 1 minute, he
      did; I have no idea what he did (!!!) ...
      :)

      --Good luck !

      Best regards,