Lurker Exposed

  • Stephanie Weeks <StephanieWeeks@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2003
      In the search for an increasingly elusive group with whom I can
      share/enjoy/vent and other verbs common to writers, I stumbled upon
      this group. The structure of the group seems ideal, and I hope there
      will be a good deal of fellowship among the members.

      For myself, I am Stephanie Weeks, a currently unemployed
      professional... something. For the past five years, I've either been
      in grad school or teaching undergrads while writing in my spare time.
      These endeavors have produced, to date, two novels in a projected
      five book series, a host of shorts, some rather dark poetry, and -
      yes - a website. Simply put, I am no more than manual labor for the
      muse. She commands, and I type. I remain the starving artist in that
      I am, as yet, unpublished. However, I am actively marketing the first
      novel now and hope to secure an agent or editor sometime before I'm
      completely gray and can no longer remember my name.

      To define what I write is perhaps the most difficult task I've faced
      since beginning the marketing aspect. As the books were coming along,
      I mentally referred to them as literary fiction, and the style seems
      to warrant that label. Lately, I've come to accept magical realism as
      the true home for my work, and the relief that comes from having a
      proper genre title is enormous. At least I can now tell an agent or
      an editor what the hell it is they'll be reading.

      In protection of a too fragile ego, I've found I'm rather shy about
      sharing my work in the more intimate setting of email lists, groups,
      et al. That said, it would please me to no end if any of you would
      like to read what I've posted on my website and critique (gently if
      possible) what seems flawed. (http://www.stephanieweeks.com/words)
      Additionally, I would be thrilled to
      read any work members of the group would like to share.

      All rambling aside, I'm glad to have joined this group and look
      forward to some amazing interaction.

      Stephanie