General Observations

  • Maria Giusto
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 11, 2006
      I see that this is primarally a younger group of writers. I see that
      you have not been that active lately which led me to wonder - why????
      Still I will try to hold my own.

      I did visit beybes_08 website. It is so busy that I could hardly read
      the text. I got off within seconds. Like they say for writing novels
      -- one third of the book has to be "white space". Perhaps if you were
      to give us more "white space".

      Trina Allen -- Your blog was very interesting. I have many friends who
      gave up face to face teaching also. I will go ahead and read your text
      sometime this week.

      Ta, Ta,
      caramiamici
    • Trina
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 12, 2006
        --- In literarynovelists@yahoogroups.com, "Maria Giusto" <miamici@...>
        wrote:
        Trina Allen -- Your blog was very interesting. I have many friends
        whogave up face to face teaching also. I will go ahead and read your
        text sometime this week.

        Ta, Ta,
        caramiamici
        Thank you Ta, Ta. It has been a challenging change from teaching to
        educational research. And finding time to write the fiction I love is
        the most challenging.

        Trina

      • Vodoqc
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 14, 2006
          Hey Trina,

          I'm trying to switch careers into course design (with occasional time for freelance work.) How did you wind up with educational research?

          Travis

        • Trina
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 16, 2006
            Travis, switching careers was difficult. I floundered for a while. I
            looked for part time work that would give me time to write. I was
            NOT looking for fulfillment through work, but rather from my
            writing. I sent resumes out, but I was overqualified for many part
            time jobs because I have a master's degree. In fact, I wasn't hired
            for one receptionist position because the interviewer said there was
            a lot of down time and thought that with my teaching experience I'd
            be bored. I said I would NOT be bored with a position that could
            allow me to work on my writing during down time? Can you think of a
            better job for a writer?

            I was under qualified for the positions I really wanted: writing or
            editing science textbooks. I didn't have any experience. In order
            to get experience, I would have had to move where the jobs for
            newbies are, and my husband and I are committed to living in
            Raleigh, NC.

            I tried freelance editing, but it wasn't for me. It was a lot of
            work for the money and really didn't leave me with time to do my own
            writing. I spent a great deal more time communicating with writers
            than actually editing their writing.

            Then a coworker told my husband that there was a job opening at the
            company where her husband works, an employee-owned corporation that
            contracts with departments of education, educational agencies, and
            private businesses to develop and score educational tests. It turns
            out that they like to hire former teachers. So, now I develop
            science tests. I enjoy the change because I am combining science
            knowledge gained through my years as a science teacher with my
            writing and editing talents. It is the perfect career for me.

            So, this is a long way of saying that I heard of the opportunity
            through a friend. It IS who you know that helps you find
            opportunity, but it IS what you know that enables you to follow
            through.