Sony laptop and PCMCIA Problems

  • danb0057
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
      Hi, Im new to Linux and have a problem with the PCMCIA slots on my
      Sony GRV680 Laptop. There appears to be a problem with the interrupts.
      I have noticed this message when it boots "No known IRQ for interrupt
      pin B of device 02:05.1. Please try using pci=biosirq." I am using Red
      Hat 9. If anyone could help I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.
    • ALX
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
        Not a problem with PCMCIA, but with ACPI (that should initialize IRQ
        first). I Had the same problem on my Sony GRX516MD. To resolve this
        problem you must use the ACPI patch from :
        http://sourceforge.net/projects/acpi/
        Choose the version matching your kernel source, apply the patch on
        your kernel source, then configure, make, install the new kernel ...
        and your problem should be solved.
        They are also somewhere a patch for the Memory Stick card reader ...
        but don't need it anymore on the recent kernel (>=2.4.21)

        Good Luck,
        bye,
        ALX.

        --- In linuxonlaptop@yahoogroups.com, "danb0057" <dannyb57@a...>
        wrote:
        > Hi, Im new to Linux and have a problem with the PCMCIA slots on my
        > Sony GRV680 Laptop. There appears to be a problem with the
        interrupts.
        > I have noticed this message when it boots "No known IRQ for
        interrupt
        > pin B of device 02:05.1. Please try using pci=biosirq." I am using
        Red
        > Hat 9. If anyone could help I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003

          wrote:
          > Hi, Im new to Linux and have a problem with the PCMCIA slots on my
          > Sony GRV680 Laptop. There appears to be a problem with the
          interrupts.
          > I have noticed this message when it boots "No known IRQ for
          interrupt
          > pin B of device 02:05.1. Please try using pci=biosirq." I am using
          Red
          > Hat 9. If anyone could help I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.
          Thanks for the help. Is there anywhere on the net that would have some type of tutorial on how to do this? I am brand new to linux, I am very comfortable in DOS but, this so different. Thanks again for the help so far.

        • ALX
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2003
            I have a good news for you, the last version of the stable Linux
            kernel : 2.4.22 seem to have a uptodate version of the ACPI patch. So
            you should try to find a 2.4.22 kernel package for your Linux
            Distribution and test with that.
            Or build your own kernel image from the 2.4.22 kernel source from
            http://www.kernel.org/
            and Read the documentation inside the kernel package.