how to install slackware

  • chee siong
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1 10:41 AM
      Hi,

      I am a newbie to linux
      recently i got an old Fujistu notebook and wanted to
      try to install slackware 9.0 onto it.
      I have boot it using bare.i floppy and install.1 and
      install.2
      Then I start the PCMCIA service using the pcmcia.dsk
      however i am unable to mount the cdrom which is using
      PCMCIA card.
      Do I need to install any drivers?
      how to install and where to get it?

      Hope you can help

      thank you!

      cheers,
      vincent

      Send free SMS from your PC!
      http://sg.sms.yahoo.com
    • hfelton11
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2 2:28 AM
        --- In linuxonlaptop@yahoogroups.com, chee siong <ochsiong@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I am a newbie to linux
        > recently i got an old Fujistu notebook and wanted to
        > try to install slackware 9.0 onto it.
        > I have boot it using bare.i floppy and install.1 and
        > install.2
        > Then I start the PCMCIA service using the pcmcia.dsk
        > however i am unable to mount the cdrom which is using
        > PCMCIA card.
        > Do I need to install any drivers?
        > how to install and where to get it?
        >
        > Hope you can help
        >
        > thank you!
        >
        > cheers,
        > vincent

        i have done something similar on an old notebook and
        _also_ was not able to get the cdrom mounted thru pcmcia.
        however, with some finagling, it did mount thru the
        parallel port. what specific cdrom are you using?
        i have a backpack triple-play cdrw, so yes it did
        require the bpck6.o module as a driver.

        a quick zip file with the modules _I_ needed and a
        quick script to run them is at the following site:
        http://www.angelfire.com/ca6/hfelton/dell-xpip75t/page3.html

        all of the modules are on the slack9 disks, but you
        will most likely need another computer nearby to help.
        i had tried valiantly to sort it all out from dos
        and copying to the notebook hdd, but it was not worth it.

        also, you might want to try the laptux group since
        this one gets spammed fairly regularly.

        good luck, h.
      • chee siong
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4 8:06 AM
          Hi,

          thanks for you reply.

          I am using a Fujitsu B Series notebook.
          the cdrom drive is a Fujitsu FMV-NCD403
          does anyone how to mount this type of cdrom drive
          using Slackware bare.i boot disk?

          thank you

          cheers,
          vincent

          --- hfelton11 <hfelton11@...> wrote: > --- In
          linuxonlaptop@yahoogroups.com, chee siong
          > <ochsiong@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I am a newbie to linux
          > > recently i got an old Fujistu notebook and wanted
          > > try to install slackware 9.0 onto it.
          > > I have boot it using bare.i floppy and install.1
          > and
          > > install.2
          > > Then I start the PCMCIA service using the
          > pcmcia.dsk
          > > however i am unable to mount the cdrom which is
          > using
          > > PCMCIA card.
          > > Do I need to install any drivers?
          > > how to install and where to get it?
          > >
          > > Hope you can help
          > >
          > > thank you!
          > >
          > > cheers,
          > > vincent
          > >

          > i have done something similar on an old notebook and
          > _also_ was not able to get the cdrom mounted thru
          > pcmcia.
          > however, with some finagling, it did mount thru the
          > parallel port. what specific cdrom are you using?
          > i have a backpack triple-play cdrw, so yes it did
          > require the bpck6.o module as a driver.
          >
          > a quick zip file with the modules _I_ needed and a
          > quick script to run them is at the following site:

          http://www.angelfire.com/ca6/hfelton/dell-xpip75t/page3.html

          > all of the modules are on the slack9 disks, but you
          > will most likely need another computer nearby to
          > help.
          > i had tried valiantly to sort it all out from dos
          > and copying to the notebook hdd, but it was not
          > worth it.
          >
          > also, you might want to try the laptux group since
          > this one gets spammed fairly regularly.
          >
          > good luck, h.

          Send free SMS from your PC!
          http://sg.sms.yahoo.com