Firewire CD-ROM in a dell Media Base

  • Eric Oram <eoram@dibsusa.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2003
      I have a Dell Latitude X200. It comes with a dockable media base
      with a CDRW/DVD drive and floppy drive. I have installed Redhat 8.0
      on it. The media base CDRW/DVD is seen as a firewire device. The
      problem I'm having is that I can't figure out how to mount this
      drive to use it. When I do a cat /proc/scsi/scsi the drive is
      detected. I've tried mounting using the following command:
      mount -t iso9660 /dev/sda1 /mnt/cdrom
      I've tried sda1, sda2, sda3, sda4, but these are not valid block
      devices. How do I figure out what this device is called so that I
      can mount it?

      Thanks.
    • Godwin Stewart
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2003
        On Thu, 02 Jan 2003 18:07:39 -0000, "Eric Oram <eoram@...>"
        <eoram@...> wrote to linuxonlaptop@yahoogroups.com:

        > I've tried sda1, sda2, sda3, sda4, but these are not valid block
        > devices. How do I figure out what this device is called so that I
        > can mount it?

        Try using a CD-ROM device node rather than a HD partition device node. Also,
        these device nodes are zero-based, so the first one is /dev/scd0.

        --
        G. Stewart -- gstewart@...
        gstewart@...

        GnuPG key : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
        Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4 0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6
        Don't some of these fortunes just drive you nuts?! Wouldn't you like
        to see some of them deleted from the system? You can! Just mail to
        "fortune" with the fortune you hate most, and we MIGHT make sure it
        gets expunged.