New HP "ze" series - which is best?

  • Wil
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2002
      I am primariy an AMD guy, but this one has me rethinking...

      Pre-Xmas prices got me looking to replace a 14 month old Compaq 1215US
      (supposed to be able to get around the dreaded win-modem-esque cr*p
      for the USB/NIC/Modem, but not by me!). Further HP has a 'buy back'
      program at the moment, so I've decided to take the plunge and got a
      ze4145.

      However, before I opened the box I got to searching for info on
      installing Linux on this (or any other of the various new 'ze' models)
      and found that the (southbridge I think?) architecture is a little
      'iffy' and the pcmcia won't work. Still not a HUGE deal (compared to
      the 1215US, but I digress) since apparently the built-in NIC and modem
      work, right?

      On the one hand, I can keep this one and happily use the AMD processor
      or for basically the same price get a Celeron that operates @ the same
      speed (4145 is rated at 1800+, Celeron is 1.8Ghz) - but it's a CELERON
      vs Hammer(? - the 'full-on' AMD). OR for about another $200 I can get
      the same 1.8Ghz in a P4. IF the Celeron is a lead-pipe cinch and the
      XP is a hoaky install it's a Celeron for me. Just object on principle
      to getting the 'neutered' processor over the workhorse AMD, and why
      the P4 is in the picture.

      I DID find a really good (but since lost the...) link that compared
      the AMD to P4 processor and specifically the ATI card architecture and
      explained (in pretty good detail) WHY the Intel is handled better than
      AMD for this setup.

      My primary operative here is this will be a Linux-learner box that
      will also run some Win aps, so it will be a dual-boot system (and why
      the mentioned PCs are so desireable for the extra h/d space). I am
      still a Linux newbie, but my goal is to be M$ free by the end of 03.

      With what I've seen I think the Sony or Dell would be a much easier
      way to go, but the HP buy-back is for HP products ONLY - of course!
      ;-) - and thus the only options on the plate.

      Anybody wanna weigh-in on this one? Any/all help will be greatly
      appreciated. Date is 12/1/02, so have only til about the 5th or 6th to
      decide - and, of course, the longer I wait the more crazy I'm gonna go
      staring at the box!!
    • John C. Toman
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2002
        Hi Wil,

        I have a ze4145 w/ AMD mobile XP 1800+ and a dual boot Windows XP/RedHat
        linux installation, working fine except, on the linux side:

        (1) PCMCIA under linux will cause system hangs
        (2) No accelerated X driver (but I'm told this is forthcoming)
        (3) isapnp in the RedHat installs causes a hang (not sure if this is
        true in other installations)
        (4) PowerNow support (supposedly under development)
        (5) Suspend/resume/hibernate on the linux side. The RAM suspend/resume
        I'm trying to get to work.

        What does work (from my own tests):

        (1) The NIC: National Semiconductor Corp. DP83815
        (2) USB
        (3) RS232 serial port

        Not sure:

        (1) The modem. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. It's a Conexant
        56K, and might be supported by an available "linmodem" driver.

        John

        Wil wrote:

        >I am primariy an AMD guy, but this one has me rethinking...
        >
        >Pre-Xmas prices got me looking to replace a 14 month old Compaq 1215US
        >(supposed to be able to get around the dreaded win-modem-esque cr*p
        >for the USB/NIC/Modem, but not by me!). Further HP has a 'buy back'
        >program at the moment, so I've decided to take the plunge and got a
        >ze4145.
        >
        >However, before I opened the box I got to searching for info on
        >installing Linux on this (or any other of the various new 'ze' models)
        >and found that the (southbridge I think?) architecture is a little
        >'iffy' and the pcmcia won't work. Still not a HUGE deal (compared to
        >the 1215US, but I digress) since apparently the built-in NIC and modem
        >work, right?
        >

        >On the one hand, I can keep this one and happily use the AMD processor
        >or for basically the same price get a Celeron that operates @ the same
        >speed (4145 is rated at 1800+, Celeron is 1.8Ghz) - but it's a CELERON
        >vs Hammer(? - the 'full-on' AMD). OR for about another $200 I can get
        >the same 1.8Ghz in a P4. IF the Celeron is a lead-pipe cinch and the
        >XP is a hoaky install it's a Celeron for me. Just object on principle
        >to getting the 'neutered' processor over the workhorse AMD, and why
        >the P4 is in the picture.
        >
        >I DID find a really good (but since lost the...) link that compared
        >the AMD to P4 processor and specifically the ATI card architecture and
        >explained (in pretty good detail) WHY the Intel is handled better than
        >AMD for this setup.
        >
        >My primary operative here is this will be a Linux-learner box that
        >will also run some Win aps, so it will be a dual-boot system (and why
        >the mentioned PCs are so desireable for the extra h/d space). I am
        >still a Linux newbie, but my goal is to be M$ free by the end of 03.
        >
        >With what I've seen I think the Sony or Dell would be a much easier
        >way to go, but the HP buy-back is for HP products ONLY - of course!
        >;-) - and thus the only options on the plate.
        >
        >Anybody wanna weigh-in on this one? Any/all help will be greatly
        >appreciated. Date is 12/1/02, so have only til about the 5th or 6th to
        >decide - and, of course, the longer I wait the more crazy I'm gonna go
        >staring at the box!!

      • Wil
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2002
          Did the deal... took the 4145 back (never opened, so no 'restocking'
          fee) and got the 5155. Still took 2 days to unbox it (busy Xmas and
          all...) Results....?

          The 5155 is.... perplexing. First, I'm a Win98se-guy, so the whole
          NTFS thing is new to me from a 'work with it' perspective. After
          much gnashing of teeth I got the drive formatted in fat32, then
          split so I could do the install as I wanted it (C: 10G primary, D:
          20G on extended, E: 8G on extended to split for RH). Reinstall XP
          from the recovery disk (expert, to only reinstall the OS on the C:
          drive), 45 minutes to do this, reboot - No Operating System message -
          AGGGGHHHH!!

          OK, build a better mouse-trap.... Start with RH, Disk Druid to
          custom setup the same partitions. Can't get Disk Druid (or is it
          Disk Drake?) to format the C: drive over the (ancient?) standard
          2048Mb size (wtf?).

          Partition Magic to the rescue! Pull it out and.... it's v6.0 (which
          has known issues with XP, and doesn't play well with Linux). Can you
          begin to see a pattern here?

          Back to square one. Reinstall the (whole) XP. Another 45 minutes,
          but it's there....

          What is that 24Mb partition for? The recovery tools, which the CDs
          automatically put there every time (4 rebuilds so far, and confirmed
          with a NOT-800-#-call to HP - TGIF for evening minutes on the cell
          plan!).

          OK, back to the fdisk partitioning, didn't bother formatting (since
          the recovery disks do this automatically to the C: drive during the
          install, D: I can get XP to format in fat32, and E: will go away to
          Linux native....)

          Another attempt to install (Advanced) to only install the OS (XP).
          It worked! Now attempt to install RH... get to the partitioning part
          and get to (what amounts to) the FAT and.... it's unreadable by
          RH 'do you want to initialize?'. As I clicked the 'yes' button I
          read the last of it where it 'may' cause loss of everything on the
          disk 'including the operating system'. Can you guess what happened
          next? *sigh*

          Back to XP. DL all the friggin' Critical and Suggested updates (in 5
          verses, rebooting each time...), install Norton SystemWorks 2003 and
          try to build a Ghost image to do this faster (off my network at home
          rather than the 6 recovery CDs) - issue with Firewire, so Ghost
          doesn't work!!

          Ordered Partition Magic 8.0, got the message just a few ago that it
          is 'in' and waiting on me at home. I will try THAT when I get home
          and if I still have issues I'm likely to just punt, install RH8.0,
          figure out how to make the DVD player work (no, never done this
          either) and be done with it!!

          And my job? I'm currently working a contract to test legacy software
          for XP compatibility. Install, test, certify, rebuild from Ghost. Do
          I spend TOO MUCH time figuring out this cr*p? *lol*

          Thanks for the info/assist. By the time I'm ready to get a 'new'
          system again, I'll know Linux well enough that I'll be in line for
          that M$ Rebate as I'll never go 'back' to M$ products again on new
          systems.

          Wil
          In a world without walls and fences...
          who needs window$ and gate$?