apm and X question

  • Alan Schmitt
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15, 2002
      Hi,

      I've just installed a Mandrake 8.2 on a evo n600c compaq laptop, and I
      have two problems with apm. I tried looking in the archives of some
      mailing lists, but could not find solutions for them.

      The problems are:
      - when I suspend while running X, the screen gets completely garbaged
      (there are many pixels, even though the laptop is suspended, and there
      is a weird moving pattern at first, as if the screen wasn't refreshed
      anymore and was somehow "decaying" (sorry for the description, I don't
      really know how to explain it ...)). When I resume the laptop, I get
      back the picture before the suspend, but also a bit garbaged. The
      keyboard and external mouse (usb) do not work anymore, but the
      internal mouse can still move (clicking doesn't do anything though). I
      do not use a sw cursor, so that might explain this last bit. I can
      log on the machine from another one, and I see that X is using 100 %
      cpu. Suspending on a virtual console works (the only problem is that I
      need to refresh the screen, and the "scroll lock" gets on). I tried to
      switch to a virtual console before suspending, and it works fine ...
      until I go back to X (alt-f7) then I get stuck there, as before.

      - when I'm on battery power and not using the laptop for a while, the
      keyboard and internal mouse die (the usb mouse still works). X still
      works (I can click), and restarting X solves the problem. I tried
      commenting out the line 'Option "DPMS" "on"' but it did not solve the
      problem.

      The evo n600c has a radeon mobility M6 LY, and Mandrake 8.2 provides
      xfree 4.2.0 and apm 3.0 final.

      If by chance you have some hints on how to solve these, I'd be
      delighted.

      Thanks a lot,

      Alan

      --
      The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.