[linuxonlaptop] Re: Dell Latitude CPx...

  • Danny Zeng
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2000
      Hi Sean,

      Happy New Year.

      My CPx has PIII 500, 256M RAM, 12G HDD, CDROM, and Xircom Realport 100M/56K
      combo PC card.

      My good luck is RedHat 6.1 installed on this laptop smoothly. The only
      thing you need to do after the installation is to vi the /etc/lilo.conf and
      add vga=971 to enable VESA console, which will switch the video adapter
      into svga mode and ensure X to start, also you get a neat penguin logo at
      boot. However, I find no way to get the Maestro card run under Linux.
      tulip.o is used to drive the Xircom ethernet, but I had no luck to get the
      56k modem work.

      I happened to be testing some distributions I can get in China, including
      TurboLinux 4.02, Easy Linux 1.2, Linux-Mandrake 6.1, Corel Linux 1.0,
      BluePoint 1.0 and Xteam Linux 2.0. All of them can install on this
      machine, at least, thought most of them can not recognize the ATi Rage
      Mobility video adapter, and you have to play many tricks to get X run. I
      tried to compile a new kernel with VESA-CONSOLE enabled on Mandrake 6.1,
      then there is no problem with X, but this ruined pcmcia function, I don't
      know why. Just downloading the updates.

      I opened a list at egroups.com, please visit
      http://www.eGroups.com/lists/linuxonlaptop

      Regards,

      - Danny

      At 05:47 PM 12/31/1999 -0500, you wrote:

      >Hello Danny,
      >
      >I saw that you were listed as having a Dell Latitude CPx with Linux. I
      >just got one and was trying to get X running on it. Have you had any
      >luck?
      >
      > Sean

      Danny Zeng System Administrator
      Synopsys Inc. (www.synopsys.com)