Installation Problems w/ Redhat 7.0 on Sony Vaio FX190

  • unixfu@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2001
      Curiosity question: has any one had any luck installing and booting
      into RedHat 7.0 on a Sony Vaio laptop? I just landed an FX190, the
      newest series of Vaio's, and I noticed that it comes with a different
      chipset than the F690 which it replaces. Basically, I'm trying to
      dual-boot Win2K and Linux, and Linux seems to install fine, and it
      recognizes the correct hardware & chipset for this model.

      Buuuuuut, after installing, creating a boot disk, rebooting and
      trying the boot into Linux to verify the installation, right after
      the root file system loads, I get this error:

      -----------
      Code: 89 01 8b 0a 85 c9 74 08 8b 42 04 89 41 04 eb 06 8b 42 04 89
      Aiee, killing interrupt handler
      Kernel panic: attempted to kill the idle task! in interrupt handler -
      not syncing
      -----------

      Everytime I do a fresh install, this is where the boot sequence
      terminates, even though all hardware is recognized (Intel 815EM
      chipset et al). So I'm basically stumped as to what may be the
      issue...(other than the whole task at hand; Linux ---> Laptop ;)

      Anyone have any ideas on what may be throwing things out of whack?

      Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom...

      Regards,
      Jason
    • hawk62@gte.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2001
        --- In linuxonlaptop@y..., unixfu@y... wrote:

        > Curiosity question: has any one had any luck installing and booting
        > into RedHat 7.0 on a Sony Vaio laptop? I just landed an FX190, the
        > newest series of Vaio's, and I noticed that it comes with a

        Well, I am a beginner but I installed RedHat 7.0 on my Sony PCG-F420
        with no problems. My only complaint was when I set up X11 it was for
        640x480 resolution which is poor. When I set the resolution to
        800x600, which is the maximum for my system, it looks great.

        The XF86configurator program has some sort of bug that doesn't give an
        800x600 option so you can't use it to re-configure your X11. I had to
        install RedHat 7.0 a second time and select the correct resolution
        during installation.

        Regards, hawk62
      • Juan C. Gallardo
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 12, 2001
          I had a similar problem trying to install the Mandrake-Linux 8 in my
          VAIO pcg-z505.
          The error message is the same one, but I think that the error is
          because of a PCMIA compatibility problem.
          I'm very new at linux, but are you booting with or without something
          inthe PCMIA card slot?

          Juan