Puzzling hanging issue with FLdigi PSK browser screen

  • David A. Ranch
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 15, 2010
      Hello Everyone,

      I'm trying to track down an annoying bug in 3.20.12 through 3.20.15.
      Specifically, if I have the PSK browser window open (behind the primary
      fldigi screen) and it's a VERY wide window (say to 130 characters wide
      after the displayed frequency) and I then do an ANSWER. Once I stop
      transmitting, the UI and waterfall hangs:

      1. Fldigi hangs for about 7 seconds
      2. reports soundcard timeouts
      3. sends spots to pskreporter.info
      4. another soundcard timeout
      5. resumes after around 11 seconds

      I've been playing around with this and once I reset the PSK browser
      window to something fairly narrow, it almost never hangs but still does
      occasionally. At first, I was thinking it was the PSK SPOT feature but
      I'm pretty sure think it's the browser window. I'm now playing around
      with possibly changing the number of channels to decode, the fonts, etc.

      - Config options
      - Waterfall height: 160 pixels
      - PSK viewer: 30 channels
      - Start frequency: 200
      - inactivity: 15
      - continuous scrolling: enabled

      Any thoughts? This is driving me nuts since when it hangs, I miss the
      remote stations getting back to me, etc. Grrr....

      --David

      E: trx_trx_receive_loop: Sound error: Connection timed out
      E: trx_trx_receive_loop: Sound error: Connection timed out
      I: append: Appending report (call=KJ4JKE mode=PSK31 freq=14071371
      time=1276641527 type=1)
      I: append: Appending report (call=K8LEN mode=PSK31 freq=14071372
      time=1276641685 type=1)
      I: append: Appending report (call=KC5GRE mode=PSK31 freq=14071208
      time=1276641651 type=1)
      I: append: Appending report (call=KD7WII mode=PSK31 freq=14071714
      time=1276641645 type=1)
      E: trx_trx_receive_loop: Sound error: Connection timed out

      Machine specific info:
      ----------------------
      Centos 5.5 Linux with the various required changes -- been a VERY good
      Hamshack machine
      Pentium-M 1.7Ghz : 512M RAM
      2.6.18-164.6.1.el5ax25

      glibc-2.5-49.el5_5.2
      fltk-1.1.9-4.el5
      portaudio-devel-19-8
      portaudio-19-8
      libsndfile-devel-1.0.17-1.el5.rf
      libsamplerate-devel-0.1.7-1.el5.rf
      hamlib-devel-1.2.9-1
      xmlrpc-c-devel-1.06.18-1

      Fldigi info:
      ------------
      Configuration summary:

      Version ..................... 3.20.15

      Static linking .............. no
      CPU optimizations ........... sse2
      Debugging ................... no

      fldigi ...................... yes
      flarq ....................... yes

      i18n ........................ yes

      fldigi build options:

      sndfile ..................... yes
      oss ......................... yes
      portaudio ................... yes
      pulseaudio .................. no

      hamlib ...................... yes
      xmlrpc ...................... yes

      Radio:
      ------
      Yaesu FT-950

      Soundcard:
      ----------
      US Interface Navigator - USB
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 15, 2010
        David A. Ranch wrote:
        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > I'm trying to track down an annoying bug in 3.20.12 through 3.20.15.
        > Specifically, if I have the PSK browser window open (behind the primary
        > fldigi screen) and it's a VERY wide window (say to 130 characters wide
        > after the displayed frequency) and I then do an ANSWER. Once I stop
        > transmitting, the UI and waterfall hangs:
        >
        > 1. Fldigi hangs for about 7 seconds
        > 2. reports soundcard timeouts
        > 3. sends spots to pskreporter.info
        > 4. another soundcard timeout
        > 5. resumes after around 11 seconds
        >
        > I've been playing around with this and once I reset the PSK browser
        > window to something fairly narrow, it almost never hangs but still does
        > occasionally. At first, I was thinking it was the PSK SPOT feature but
        > I'm pretty sure think it's the browser window. I'm now playing around
        > with possibly changing the number of channels to decode, the fonts, etc.
        >
        > - Config options
        > - Waterfall height: 160 pixels

        reduce the waterfall height to reduce both RAM and cpu usage
        > - PSK viewer: 30 channels
        > - Start frequency: 200
        > - inactivity: 15
        > - continuous scrolling: enabled
        >
        > Any thoughts? This is driving me nuts since when it hangs, I miss the
        > remote stations getting back to me, etc. Grrr....
        >
        > --David
        >
        > Machine specific info:
        > ----------------------
        > Centos 5.5 Linux with the various required changes -- been a VERY good
        > Hamshack machine
        > Pentium-M 1.7Ghz : 512M RAM

        Can you put more RAM in this machine? 512 M is pretty minimal. What
        desktop are you running?

        Dave
      • David A. Ranch
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 15, 2010
          Hello Dave,

          Thanks for replying to my email.
          > Can you put more RAM in this machine? 512 M is pretty minimal. What
          > desktop are you running?

          I agree that 512MB is pretty low but it hasn't been an issue until
          recently. I hope to add more RAM but we'll see as this is a pretty old
          machine.

          What desktop? heheh.. KDE. One thing to add is once I changed away
          from the default font, things seem to be happier. I know that fonts can
          mess with all kind of things but I don't quite understand the sound card
          timeout.

          Curious, what's the recommended sound system for linux with FLdigi?
          PortAudio or PulseAudio? Centos 5.5 is a rather old distro and I
          might move up to Fedora to get a bit more modern software stack.

          --David
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 15, 2010
            David A. Ranch wrote:
            Hello Dave,

            Thanks for replying to my email.

            Can you put more RAM in this machine?  512 M is pretty minimal.  What
            desktop are you running?

            I agree that 512MB is pretty low but it hasn't been an issue until
            recently.  I hope to add more RAM but we'll see as this is a pretty old
            machine.

            What desktop?  heheh.. KDE.  One thing to add is once I changed away
            from the default font, things seem to be happier.  I know that fonts can
            mess with all kind of things but I don't quite understand the sound card
            timeout.

            xfce is a pretty nice desktop that will use far fewer resources than KDE.  Cheaper than more RAM or a new machine.
            Curious, what's the recommended sound system for linux with FLdigi?
            PortAudio or PulseAudio?
            Very distro dependent.  My development system is Ubuntu 9.04 and PortAudio works better than PulseAudio on this machine with 4 different sound systems

            Intel on mother board
            Sound Blaster Live 24 ... a $24 Walmart special that is a boat anchor
            TenTec sound interface used with a TenTec ArgoV
            SignaLink USB interfaced to a TenTec Jupiter

            I've occasionally a really cheap USB to Audio converter ($4 from geeks.com).

            All play well with fldigi.  The $4 geeks usb codec is a surprise.  It performs as well as all the other devices.  It probably would not suffice for a direct conversion operation, but it's quiet enough for HF ops.

                Centos 5.5 is a rather old distro and I
            might move up to Fedora to get a bit more modern software stack.

            The alpha test team uses all kinds of h/w and distros; various Linux distros, Free BSD, XP, W2K, Vista, Win7, OS X.  The best PulseAudio drivers seem to be on the latest Debian.  But that distro might take a bit more RAM than you have in that machine.

            BTW I run Ubuntu on several desktop dual boot machines and even on a little Lenovo S10 netbook.  It's dual boot, XP and Ubuntu 9.04.  Ubuntu runs rings around XP on this little box.

            73, Dave, W1HKJ

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 16, 2010
              On 06/15/2010 10:39 PM, David A. Ranch wrote:
              > Hello Dave,
              >
              > Thanks for replying to my email.
              >> Can you put more RAM in this machine? 512 M is pretty minimal. What
              >> desktop are you running?
              >>
              > I agree that 512MB is pretty low but it hasn't been an issue until
              > recently. I hope to add more RAM but we'll see as this is a pretty old
              > machine.
              >
              > What desktop? heheh.. KDE. One thing to add is once I changed away
              > from the default font, things seem to be happier. I know that fonts can
              > mess with all kind of things but I don't quite understand the sound card
              > timeout.
              >
              > Curious, what's the recommended sound system for linux with FLdigi?
              > PortAudio or PulseAudio? Centos 5.5 is a rather old distro and I
              > might move up to Fedora to get a bit more modern software stack.
              >
              > --David

              I would think trying to use KDE with that little of RAM would be just
              about impossible. XFCE would be a better choice in my opinion.

              I've used both Ubuntu and am currently using Debian. I couldn't get
              Pulse to play nice with Ubuntu and used Port. But I have no problems
              with Pulse in Debian.

              Personally I would burn a Puppy CD and see how that works with your
              current machine.

              Like Dave those little $4 USB codecs work well with fldigi.

              Ed W3NR
            • Rick Kunath
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 16, 2010
                Comments inline...
                And <snipped> here and there.

                > >> Can you put more RAM in this machine? 512 M is pretty minimal. What
                > >> desktop are you running?
                > >
                > > I agree that 512MB is pretty low but it hasn't been an issue until
                > > recently. I hope to add more RAM but we'll see as this is a pretty old
                > > machine.
                > >
                > > What desktop? heheh.. KDE.

                What version of KDE. KDE4 is way too intensive for that old machine of yours.

                > > Curious, what's the recommended sound system for linux with FLdigi?
                > > PortAudio or PulseAudio? Centos 5.5 is a rather old distro and I
                > > might move up to Fedora to get a bit more modern software stack.

                Pulse has been rock solid in Mandriva 2010.0 and up. But oyu don't have
                enough machine to run KDE. I'd try a lighter weight windoe manager as was
                suggested.

                > about impossible. XFCE would be a better choice in my opinion.

                Yep, I agree.

                > I've used both Ubuntu and am currently using Debian. I couldn't get
                > Pulse to play nice with Ubuntu and used Port. But I have no problems
                > with Pulse in Debian.

                Like I mentioned, PulseAudio has been rock solid in Mandriva 2010.0, and
                2010.1 is expected to be released next week.

                Rick Kunath, k9ao
              • o11oo1oo
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2013
                  3 year old answer still works.
                  I had sound timeout troubles while receiving and even worse things during xmit with fc18/gnome3 on asus eeepc with 2g ram crop up a couple weeks ago. This afternoon I figured out setting up xfce desktop. No more timeout issues.