Re: [linuxham] Re: RSID

  • Nuttenschleuder
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 5, 2010
      Hellschreiber is hardly a new mode.  I believe it was extensivly used by the German army between the first world war until around the early 80,s.  It is however one of the coolest nostalgic digital modes out there.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 5, 2010, at 4:03 PM, "Gerald K. Sherman" <ve4gks@...> wrote:

      It was with a certain sense of dismay that I read of the recent
      disagreements about a standard for RSID, and the intentions of some
      individuals to take it (RSID) in their own directions. Part of what
      makes some of our new technology work is that everybody works together
      to develop a standard, and everybody uses the same standard. Look at
      IRLP & D-STAR. They didn't exist when I got my ticket (40 years ago
      this August). If everybody used their (different) standard, where would
      these technologies be today? Gone the way of spark-gap transmitters,
      most likely. I do not mean to criticize those who seek to improve the
      standard. Far from it. But please, let's all work together. Linux
      works because everybody works to improve it, and shares those
      improvements with others. I cannot claim to be making any of those
      improvements, because I don't know the languages used to make them. My
      programming expertise, when I was working (I am retired), was in the
      RS-274 G-code used for the control of metalworking machinery. I have
      only recently become active again, after being almost inactive for close
      to 35 years. Talk about time & technology shock! I can only express my
      thanks to those who write the programs that I use and appreciate. You
      know who you are (and not all of you are hams - I use Open Office
      extensively). My ability in working with Linux is limited to using my
      (limited) ability with the system to help those who are even less
      experienced than myself. I will admit to needing quite a bit of help
      myself, because I have basically taken Linux as a replacement for the
      bloated systems from you-know-who, and their appetite for new hardware
      every few years. The best that I have been able to provide to our world
      is personal experience with my own equipment, which may be added to any
      database (I use the term database in its very broadest sense) of things
      that do, or do not, play well together. I was able to provide the
      information that Linux works directly with an ICOM 7200's USB port,
      because I have & use this radio.

      I think I have said enough and made my point, so I will let this topic
      end here.

      By the way, with regard to these new digital modes (PSK, Olivia,
      Hellschreiber, etc.), would somebody like to take the time to enlighten
      me as to the pros & cons of the different modes? I understand PSK is
      very popular. Remember, you are helping to cure a case of the shock
      mentioned earlier.

      Thanks & 73 to all

      Gerry Sherman, VE4GKS

    • af6it
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 6, 2010
        Gerry,

        Who was attempting to "take it (RSID) in their own directions"? All I saw was a call to include some overlooked mode variations (that they at least not be overridden when RSID cannot report because it is an unrecognized variant) and a request that the selection process be a little more public... And no, I do not mean to imply there was ever an attempt at exclusivity, just that the process is still young. The discussion was just part of the growing process. At least that is my take on it. Seems to me that we ALL wish to see it standardized and useful where it is most needed.

        Stu AF6IT

        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald K. Sherman" <ve4gks@...> wrote:

        > It was with a certain sense of dismay that I read of the recent
        > disagreements about a standard for RSID, and the intentions of some
        > individuals to take it (RSID) in their own directions. Part of what
        > makes some of our new technology work is that everybody works together
        > to develop a standard, and everybody uses the same standard. Look at
        > IRLP & D-STAR. They didn't exist when I got my ticket (40 years ago
        > this August). If everybody used their (different) standard, where would
        > these technologies be today? Gone the way of spark-gap transmitters,
        > most likely. I do not mean to criticize those who seek to improve the
        > standard. Far from it. But please, let's all work together. Linux
        > works because everybody works to improve it, and shares those
        > improvements with others. I cannot claim to be making any of those
        > improvements, because I don't know the languages used to make them. My
        > programming expertise, when I was working (I am retired), was in the
        > RS-274 G-code used for the control of metalworking machinery. I have
        > only recently become active again, after being almost inactive for close
        > to 35 years. Talk about time & technology shock! I can only express my
        > thanks to those who write the programs that I use and appreciate. You
        > know who you are (and not all of you are hams - I use Open Office
        > extensively). My ability in working with Linux is limited to using my
        > (limited) ability with the system to help those who are even less
        > experienced than myself. I will admit to needing quite a bit of help
        > myself, because I have basically taken Linux as a replacement for the
        > bloated systems from you-know-who, and their appetite for new hardware
        > every few years. The best that I have been able to provide to our world
        > is personal experience with my own equipment, which may be added to any
        > database (I use the term database in its very broadest sense) of things
        > that do, or do not, play well together. I was able to provide the
        > information that Linux works directly with an ICOM 7200's USB port,
        > because I have & use this radio.
        >
        > I think I have said enough and made my point, so I will let this topic
        > end here.
        <snip>