Re: [linuxham] Fldigi for Field Day

  • Jaak Hohensee
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2010
      1.06.2010 3:51, Ed kirjutas:

      Start a new log, you can always go back in and rename it.

      I remember the case when  lost my new contest log after short sprint-contest and restored all manually  from screen logfile.
      This was abt year ago.  I dont remember the reason, what I missed but omething with saving or similar.
      But contest mode is really good, I use only fldigi for contest and fd.

      vy73 Jaak
      es1hj
    • k0og
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
        Ed & Jaak,

        Thanks for your comments.

        Indeed, it appears that the contest mode is very well developed, and the little bit of experimentation I've done so far has shown it to be easy to set up.

        Thanks for the pointers. I'll be running it on a WinXP laptop, probably mostly PSK31, but will also try other modes. We have a dedicated CW station for paddle operators, but I might try a little CW with it also.

        Am looking forward to putting it through its paces, especially with some inexperienced operators.

        73,
        -Joe-
      • Gerald K. Sherman
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 5, 2010
          It was with a certain sense of dismay that I read of the recent
          disagreements about a standard for RSID, and the intentions of some
          individuals to take it (RSID) in their own directions. Part of what
          makes some of our new technology work is that everybody works together
          to develop a standard, and everybody uses the same standard. Look at
          IRLP & D-STAR. They didn't exist when I got my ticket (40 years ago
          this August). If everybody used their (different) standard, where would
          these technologies be today? Gone the way of spark-gap transmitters,
          most likely. I do not mean to criticize those who seek to improve the
          standard. Far from it. But please, let's all work together. Linux
          works because everybody works to improve it, and shares those
          improvements with others. I cannot claim to be making any of those
          improvements, because I don't know the languages used to make them. My
          programming expertise, when I was working (I am retired), was in the
          RS-274 G-code used for the control of metalworking machinery. I have
          only recently become active again, after being almost inactive for close
          to 35 years. Talk about time & technology shock! I can only express my
          thanks to those who write the programs that I use and appreciate. You
          know who you are (and not all of you are hams - I use Open Office
          extensively). My ability in working with Linux is limited to using my
          (limited) ability with the system to help those who are even less
          experienced than myself. I will admit to needing quite a bit of help
          myself, because I have basically taken Linux as a replacement for the
          bloated systems from you-know-who, and their appetite for new hardware
          every few years. The best that I have been able to provide to our world
          is personal experience with my own equipment, which may be added to any
          database (I use the term database in its very broadest sense) of things
          that do, or do not, play well together. I was able to provide the
          information that Linux works directly with an ICOM 7200's USB port,
          because I have & use this radio.

          I think I have said enough and made my point, so I will let this topic
          end here.

          By the way, with regard to these new digital modes (PSK, Olivia,
          Hellschreiber, etc.), would somebody like to take the time to enlighten
          me as to the pros & cons of the different modes? I understand PSK is
          very popular. Remember, you are helping to cure a case of the shock
          mentioned earlier.

          Thanks & 73 to all

          Gerry Sherman, VE4GKS
        • Nuttenschleuder

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 6, 2010
              Gerry,

              Who was attempting to "take it (RSID) in their own directions"? All I saw was a call to include some overlooked mode variations (that they at least not be overridden when RSID cannot report because it is an unrecognized variant) and a request that the selection process be a little more public... And no, I do not mean to imply there was ever an attempt at exclusivity, just that the process is still young. The discussion was just part of the growing process. At least that is my take on it. Seems to me that we ALL wish to see it standardized and useful where it is most needed.

              Stu AF6IT

              --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald K. Sherman" <ve4gks@...> wrote:

              > It was with a certain sense of dismay that I read of the recent
              > disagreements about a standard for RSID, and the intentions of some
              > individuals to take it (RSID) in their own directions. Part of what
              > makes some of our new technology work is that everybody works together
              > to develop a standard, and everybody uses the same standard. Look at
              > IRLP & D-STAR. They didn't exist when I got my ticket (40 years ago
              > this August). If everybody used their (different) standard, where would
              > these technologies be today? Gone the way of spark-gap transmitters,
              > most likely. I do not mean to criticize those who seek to improve the
              > standard. Far from it. But please, let's all work together. Linux
              > works because everybody works to improve it, and shares those
              > improvements with others. I cannot claim to be making any of those
              > improvements, because I don't know the languages used to make them. My
              > programming expertise, when I was working (I am retired), was in the
              > RS-274 G-code used for the control of metalworking machinery. I have
              > only recently become active again, after being almost inactive for close
              > to 35 years. Talk about time & technology shock! I can only express my
              > thanks to those who write the programs that I use and appreciate. You
              > know who you are (and not all of you are hams - I use Open Office
              > extensively). My ability in working with Linux is limited to using my
              > (limited) ability with the system to help those who are even less
              > experienced than myself. I will admit to needing quite a bit of help
              > myself, because I have basically taken Linux as a replacement for the
              > bloated systems from you-know-who, and their appetite for new hardware
              > every few years. The best that I have been able to provide to our world
              > is personal experience with my own equipment, which may be added to any
              > database (I use the term database in its very broadest sense) of things
              > that do, or do not, play well together. I was able to provide the
              > information that Linux works directly with an ICOM 7200's USB port,
              > because I have & use this radio.
              >
              > I think I have said enough and made my point, so I will let this topic
              > end here.
              <snip>