Re: [linuxham] errors w/ fldigi on SuSE 11.1 through SignaLink USB

  • Roger G6CKR
    Message 1 of 21 , May 1, 2010
      On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 08:03 -0400, Ed wrote:
      > On 04/29/2010 07:56 AM, Jim Glover wrote:
      > > Well, things are not looking good.
      > >
      > > I've downloaded and run a Puppy Linux live CD, and fldigi performs there the
      > > same as it was doing on my openSuSE ... it hangs on transmit. I now have to
      > > suspect that I have a hardware problem. Either my SignaLink USB device, or
      > > my USB interface, must be broken.
      > >
      > > (Does anyone happen to know off the top of their head where on the 'net
      > > SignaLink USB expertise can be found?)
      > >
      > > 73,
      > > Jim WB5UDE
      > >

      > I would suspect some RFI in the shack. Try some chokes on the SL device
      > and see if that helps. Don't overlook the keyboard and/or the mouse.
      >
      > A simple test is to turn the power out to minimum and see what happens.
      >
      > HTH
      >
      > Ed W3NR
      Also try with the radio switched off you can monitor the SignaLink by
      the PTT led and the relay clicking.
      If that is fine then as Ed says go looking for RF issues.

      I discovered the other day that an auto tuner with 3 so239 input sockets
      had a disconnected wire for the common ground of the 3 sockets and the
      circuit board.
      It did not stop the tuner matching but was causing rfi.
      73 Roger G6CKR
    • Roger G6CKR
      Message 2 of 21 , May 1, 2010
        On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 18:13 -0700, Jim Glover wrote:
        > On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 08:03:49AM -0400, Ed wrote:
        > > On 04/29/2010 07:56 AM, Jim Glover wrote:
        > > > Well, things are not looking good.
        > > >
        > > > I've downloaded and run a Puppy Linux live CD, and fldigi performs there the
        > > > same as it was doing on my openSuSE ... it hangs on transmit. I now have to
        > > > suspect that I have a hardware problem. Either my SignaLink USB device, or
        > > > my USB interface, must be broken.
        > > >
        > > > (Does anyone happen to know off the top of their head where on the 'net
        > > > SignaLink USB expertise can be found?)
        > > >
        > > > 73,
        > > > Jim WB5UDE
        > > >

        > > I would suspect some RFI in the shack. Try some chokes on the SL device
        > > and see if that helps. Don't overlook the keyboard and/or the mouse.
        > >
        > > A simple test is to turn the power out to minimum and see what happens.
        > >
        > > HTH
        > >
        > > Ed W3NR
        >
        > Ed, you pegged it.
        >
        > Even turning the power down to 5 watts did not solve the problem. I had
        > to tune it out of band so it would refuse to transmit, to confirm that the
        > only difference between joy, and no joy, was whether it was transmitting.
        >
        > Now I'm going to be looking for some of those snap-together cores to wind
        > a few turns of my USB cable, for starters, around.
        >
        > 73,
        > Jim WB5UDE

        The perils of playing catchup on a busy list.
        pleased to see you have nailed the reason at least and ;ets hope the fix
        is easy..
        Probably worth having the other post in the archive as it is a bit
        easier that forcing the radio out of band.
        My opened TS570 would have to go a long way before it would not TX.
        73 Roger G6cKR
      • Jim Glover
        Message 3 of 21 , May 1, 2010
          > Probably worth having the other post in the archive as it is a bit
          > easier that forcing the radio out of band.

          I made that choice due to the fact that otherwise, I still would not
          be able to rule out the possibility that the SignaLink USB device
          might have been behaving differently with a connection to the XCVR,
          vs. none. My test led me to an even higher confidence that there
          was no room for error--it was unquestionably RFI. Nevertheless, I
          agree that your alternative is easier (and for some of us, would be
          dramatically easier).

          Thanks, Roger!

          On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 11:15:34AM +0100, Roger G6CKR wrote:
          > On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 18:13 -0700, Jim Glover wrote:

          > > > I would suspect some RFI in the shack. Try some chokes on the SL device
          > > > and see if that helps. Don't overlook the keyboard and/or the mouse.
          > > >
          > > > A simple test is to turn the power out to minimum and see what happens.
          > > >
          > > > HTH
          > > >
          > > > Ed W3NR
          > >
          > > Ed, you pegged it.
          > >
          > > Even turning the power down to 5 watts did not solve the problem. I had
          > > to tune it out of band so it would refuse to transmit, to confirm that the
          > > only difference between joy, and no joy, was whether it was transmitting.
          > >
          > > Now I'm going to be looking for some of those snap-together cores to wind
          > > a few turns of my USB cable, for starters, around.
          > >
          > > 73,
          > > Jim WB5UDE
          > >
          > The perils of playing catchup on a busy list.
          > pleased to see you have nailed the reason at least and ;ets hope the fix
          > is easy..
          > Probably worth having the other post in the archive as it is a bit
          > easier that forcing the radio out of band.
          > My opened TS570 would have to go a long way before it would not TX.
          > 73 Roger G6cKR

        • Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)
          Message 4 of 21 , May 1, 2010
            Jim Glover wrote:
            > Well, things are not looking good.

            By now I hope they are looking better :)

            <snip>

            > (Does anyone happen to know off the top of their head where on the 'net
            > SignaLink USB expertise can be found?)

            You might try the following group:

            73 de ZR1HPC
            Hylton