Re: [linuxham] Experimental FLdigi Debian package

  • Bob Nielsen
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2007
      On Mar 4, 2007, at 9:23 AM, Ed wrote:

      > Nate Bargmann wrote:
      >> Joop, PG4I, has put together a Debian package for FLdigi:
      >>
      >> http://www.xs4all.nl/~pa4tu/tmp/fldigi_1.30-1_i386.deb
      >>
      >> It will probably be in the main Sid archive soon. I have been
      >> running
      >> it since Friday and it works well. It may work on Etch or Ubuntu
      >> Edgy
      >> as well.
      >>
      >> 73, de Nate >>
      >>

      > Works in Etch only if you get libhamlib2 1.2.6 from Sid. Not sure what
      > Ubuntu uses for hamlib.

      I installed it successfully on a Ubuntu 6.10 system, which has
      libhamlib2 1.2.6.1-1. When I try to execute it from a terminal,
      nothing happens (no error messages; it just sits there). The 1.30
      binary from the fldigi web site works fine, however. I'll try
      pulling the Debian source package and see if it will build on this
      system.

      Bob, N7XY
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2007
        Bob Nielsen wrote:

        > I installed it successfully on a Ubuntu 6.10 system, which has
        > libhamlib2 1.2.6.1-1. When I try to execute it from a terminal,
        > nothing happens (no error messages; it just sits there). The 1.30
        > binary from the fldigi web site works fine, however. I'll try
        > pulling the Debian source package and see if it will build on this
        > system.
        >
        > Bob, N7XY

        Bob, you may need the -dev for hamlib as well as libfltk and this is a
        long shot, xorg-dev.

        HTH 73

        Debian GNU/Linux
      • Bob Nielsen
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2007
          On Mar 4, 2007, at 4:16 PM, Ed wrote:

          > Bob Nielsen wrote:
          >

          >> I installed it successfully on a Ubuntu 6.10 system, which has
          >> libhamlib2 1.2.6.1-1. When I try to execute it from a terminal,
          >> nothing happens (no error messages; it just sits there). The 1.30
          >> binary from the fldigi web site works fine, however. I'll try
          >> pulling the Debian source package and see if it will build on this
          >> system.
          >>
          >> Bob, N7XY
          >

          > Bob, you may need the -dev for hamlib as well as libfltk and this is a
          > long shot, xorg-dev.

          Thanks Ed, but I already have those (-devs are normally only needed
          for compiling). I don't know if I will be able to build it from the
          debian source, since I got some linker errors when using the original
          source. I used the Ubuntu version of fltk, which supposedly was
          built with the correct flags. I may try building that from source,
          however, to see if it makes any difference.

          Bob
        • Bob Nielsen
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 5, 2007
            On Mar 4, 2007, at 1:34 PM, Bob Nielsen wrote:

            > On Mar 4, 2007, at 9:23 AM, Ed wrote:
            >
            >> Nate Bargmann wrote:
            >>> Joop, PG4I, has put together a Debian package for FLdigi:
            >>>
            >>> http://www.xs4all.nl/~pa4tu/tmp/fldigi_1.30-1_i386.deb
            >>>
            >>> It will probably be in the main Sid archive soon. I have been
            >>> running
            >>> it since Friday and it works well. It may work on Etch or Ubuntu
            >>> Edgy
            >>> as well.
            >>>
            >>> 73, de Nate >>
            >>>

            >> Works in Etch only if you get libhamlib2 1.2.6 from Sid. Not sure
            >> what
            >> Ubuntu uses for hamlib.
            >>

            > I installed it successfully on a Ubuntu 6.10 system, which has
            > libhamlib2 1.2.6.1-1. When I try to execute it from a terminal,
            > nothing happens (no error messages; it just sits there). The 1.30
            > binary from the fldigi web site works fine, however. I'll try
            > pulling the Debian source package and see if it will build on this
            > system.
            >
            > Bob, N7XY

            Oops, the reason my system has libhamlib2 1.2.6.1 is that I compiled
            it from source. It showed up when I did 'apt-cache policy' because I
            had used checkinstall to install the binary. The stock version in
            Ubuntu 6.10 is 1.2.5-7build1. I'm sorry if this caused any
            confusion. Perhaps the next Ubuntu release (which I believe will be
            next month) has the newer version.