Re: [linuxham] Re: fldigi-3.20.0b9 posted

  • Brian Lloyd
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2010
      On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 1:35 AM, w1hkj <w1hkj@...> wrote:

      > Also wish to vote yes for a non-functioning SSB mode for logging purposes, just an SSB on the mode pull down that does nothing but put ssb in the log would be very nice.

      Asked for many times. So it is time for the developers to listen and
      deliver.

      Yes. It should get as much as possible from the radio via CAT and prepopulate the log entry with mode (USB/LSB), frequency, and time.

      Hmm, I wonder if the program could generate a reasonable estimate of RST from S-meter data gathered from CAT? I suppose that, since fldigi is on and running, you could be looking at FFT data too. If you look at the medium term variation (say, over 10 seconds) of S-meter reading you can get an idea of noise level and strength above noise level. If the low reading is very low and the high reading much higher you can probably guess at a higher R-value. I am sure we could come up with some interesting heuristics that would be at least as good as someone's WAG. And even if the user doesn't like the programs's guess he/she can still overwrite it manually.

      For that matter, it should be possible to do this even more easily with the digital modes because you have already calculated S/N (readability) and IMD (tone/quality).

      You know, strength really doesn't matter. It is S/N that really matters. But now I am starting to ramble as I think aloud.

      > Great Program, I use it every day in as many modes as I can find someone to talk with. Thank you and all the contributers for the super effort.

      I am with Al. Great program. As I have said, it is the one I use to teach about digital modes to my students.

      --
      73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL

    • bobslinuxbox_63
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2010
        Has anyone been able to get this combination working? I have been unable to get receive. I am using ubuntu 9.10

        Bob/kg2rp
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2010
          bobslinuxbox_63 wrote:
          > Has anyone been able to get this combination working? I have been unable to get receive. I am using ubuntu 9.10
          >
          > Bob/kg2rp

          Are you using Portaudio or Pulse ?

          Sounds to me as though you have not selected the correct audio capture
          device. But to be of any help we really need to know what sound server
          you are using.

          Ed W3NR
        • B Bennett
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 6, 2010
            Thanks Ed. I set it for PortAudio and am using 'pulse' for Capture and Playback and now can RX. I also have the mixer on /dev/mixer and set for Line In where the cable is connected.

            Now to get the TX working!

            Bob/kg2rp