Help...I must have Halfhimers

  • Walt DuBose
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2007
      I need some help. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is and I KNOW
      that 5 years ago I would have known immediately what the problem was.

      When I try to look at a CD using my KDE desktop CD app. it says...I don't have
      access rights to the location (/mnt/cdrom). The permissions show drwx 777 root
      root.

      The CD in there was burned off of a MS W2K box and a NTFS file system.

      Am I going to be able to see any of the files on this CD?

      Attached is a copy of my /etc/mtab which is the same as my /etc/fstab.

      What am I doing wrong? Why won't the CD mount and why can't I see the files?

      Thanks,

      Walt/K5YFW
    • jhaynesatalumni
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2007
        I don't know anything about supermount, but in some contexts you have
        to way "user" in addition to "ro" as a mount option to let anybody
        mount it.
      • Rick Kunath
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2007
          Walt DuBose wrote:
          > I need some help. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is and I KNOW
          > that 5 years ago I would have known immediately what the problem was.
          >
          > When I try to look at a CD using my KDE desktop CD app. it says...I don't have
          > access rights to the location (/mnt/cdrom). The permissions show drwx 777 root
          > root.

          The line in fstab from my Mandriva install:

          /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto
          umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

          You are missing the user option.

          > The CD in there was burned off of a MS W2K box and a NTFS file system.

          The CD won't have an NTFS file system on it. You are restricting your CD
          to one possible CD file system though (fs=iso9660).

          > Am I going to be able to see any of the files on this CD?

          Should be able to see them.

          > Attached is a copy of my /etc/mtab which is the same as my /etc/fstab.
          >
          > What am I doing wrong? Why won't the CD mount and why can't I see the files?

          Any reason why you aren't auto mounting the CD?

          Rick Kunath, k9ao