How to log a SSB Voice contact

  • k9jri@att.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 28, 2010
      I have not been able to figure out how to log a SSB voice contact in the fldigi log other than to manually change the mode entry in the log after it has been entered.

      Am I missing something obvious?

      - Mike
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 28, 2010
        k9jri@... wrote:
        > I have not been able to figure out how to log a SSB voice contact in the fldigi log other than to manually change the mode entry in the log after it has been entered.
        >
        > Am I missing something obvious?
        >
        > - Mike

        Why would you use fldigi (Fast Light Digital Modem) for SSB logging.

        Your method will work, but don't expect SSB to be added to fldigi or the
        logging.

        You might want to look at the stand alone logbook here ::

        http://www.w1hkj.com/index.htm#logbook

        Ed W3NR
      • Blake Michael
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 28, 2010
          Well,  I do have a very nice logging program, MacloggerDX, that I can import all of my fldigi contacts into.  If I happened to be using fldigi on my MacBook, when away from home, it might be nice to be able to select "SSB", as I could do on MixW, and enter the occasional voice contact.

          Not a big deal, just a question.   I don't expect anything.

          Michael Blake

          On Mar 28, 2010, at 8:38 PM, Ed wrote:

          k9jri@... wrote:
          > I have not been able to figure out how to log a SSB voice contact in the fldigi log other than to manually change the mode entry in the log after it has been entered.
          >
          > Am I missing something obvious?
          >
          > - Mike

          Why would you use fldigi (Fast Light Digital Modem) for SSB logging.

          Your method will work, but don't expect SSB to be added to fldigi or the
          logging.

          You might want to look at the stand alone logbook here ::

          http://www.w1hkj. com/index. htm#logbook

          Ed W3NR

        • Dick Kriss
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 28, 2010
            On 3/28/10 6:38 PM, "k9jri@..." <k9jri@...> wrote:

            > I have not been able to figure out how to log a SSB voice contact in the
            > fldigi log other than to manually change the mode entry in the log after it
            > has been entered.
            >
            > Am I missing something obvious?
            >
            > - Mike

            Mike K9JRI,

            I had the same question a few months ago and SSB is not one of the
            modes supported by fldigi; however, just log your phone contact as
            you would any other QSO. After you have saved the QSO, view the
            logbook and change the mode to SSB and be sure to click on Update
            to save the change. If you forgot to add the 55 or 59 report just add
            it to the log and Update again.

            I use fldigi as my daily log of QSO's and every so often export the log
            so it can be imported to my Aether log. You can do the same with
            MLDX. FYI, the Mac OS X Aether will soon be integrated with fldigi.

            Fldigi logs SSB just as well as any other QSO. You just have to
            edit the logbook.

            73 Dick AA5VU
          • Glenn Valenta (K0BO)
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 28, 2010
              I find that if you have xlog open while using fldigi, pressing "log" in fldigi
              puts the contact info into it. When I only do SSB, I only run xlog. It seems to
              be the only way to get all the logs in one place. (ala-HRD)

              This trick also works if you have two or three instances of FLDigi running on
              one puter too, allowing multiple radios on different modes and bands to be
              logged in one place!

              If one were to make a "SSB" or "voice" mode in fldigi, having the spec display
              pause and allow logging, one could get away from having to run an external
              logging program. FLDigi could become the one-stop program for ham radio.

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 3, 2010
                Glenn Valenta (K0BO) wrote:
                > I find that if you have xlog open while using fldigi, pressing "log" in fldigi
                > puts the contact info into it. When I only do SSB, I only run xlog. It seems to
                > be the only way to get all the logs in one place. (ala-HRD)
                >
                > This trick also works if you have two or three instances of FLDigi running on
                > one puter too, allowing multiple radios on different modes and bands to be
                > logged in one place!
                >
                > If one were to make a "SSB" or "voice" mode in fldigi, having the spec display
                > pause and allow logging, one could get away from having to run an external
                > logging program. FLDigi could become the one-stop program for ham radio.

                Next beta release will have a receive-only mode SSB.

                Dave
              • Blake Michael
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 3, 2010
                  Wonderful!

                  Thanks Dave.

                  Michael Blake

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 3, 2010
                    On 4/3/10 11:20 AM, "Dave Freese W1HKJ" <w1hkj@...> wrote:

                    > Next beta release will have a receive-only mode SSB.
                    >
                    > Dave

                    Thanks.... that will be a nice addition that will be useful and used.

                    Dick AA5VU