Re: [linuxham] Trouble with fltk

  • Stephen Brown Jr
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
      I had the very same problems with FLTK and I'll pass along the email I got back from Dave on it(this was prior to me joining this group):

      Recompile and install the fltk library:

      Use the following to configure the compile from within the fltk-1.1.7
      directory

      sudo make uninstall

      ./configure $* --enable-threads --enable-xft --enable-localjpeg
      --enable-localpng --enable-localzlib

      make

      sudo make install

      then try a recompile of the latest fldigi

      Dave

      That should take care of it, I am running Ubuntu 6.06 and was able to compile it no problems after that, runs like a champ.

      73's
      Stephen
      N1VLV

      On 3/1/07, Bob Nielsen <nielsen@...> wrote:

      On Mar 1, 2007, at 1:19 PM, johnrmace wrote:

      > Dave and the crew,
      >
      > I've been using fldigi on a Fedora Core 4 system for some time, having
      > compiled from source, but I took the decision to convert to Ubuntu
      > 6.06 and start over. The fldigi binary works fine, but in the best ham
      > tradition I want to tinker under the hood and so I tried to install
      > fltk. I nursed it through the ./configure stage after telling it where
      > to find the X11 libs, but now it won't "make". I think the linker
      > fails after compiling fluid:
      > .
      > .
      > .
      > Compiling factory.cxx...
      > Compiling file.cxx...
      > Compiling fluid.cxx...
      > Compiling function_panel.cxx...
      > Compiling template_panel.cxx...
      > Compiling undo.cxx...
      > Compiling widget_panel.cxx...
      > Linking fluid...
      > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
      > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
      > make[1]: *** [fluid] Error 1
      > john@linux:~/fltk-1.1.7$
      >
      > Before I try the proper place for this (fltk forum) I thought I'd ask
      > here - has anyone had the same problem?
      > My Ubuntu is quite freshly installed, but I did have to instal some
      > extra dependencies (gcc etc.) to get through the ./configure stage.
      > Perhaps I'm still missing something.
      >
      > The binary package works great though - thanks!

      If one installs the 'build-essential' package, it will take care of
      gcc and few other things needed to compile.

      I encountered a similar, but slightly different error (ubuntu 6.10):

      /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lfltk_jpeg

      Bob, N7XY

    • johnrmace
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
        Bob and Stephen,
        thanks for the quick help!
        I did install the gcc compiler etc. by installing the build-essential
        package, and it was after that I got the problem.
        Bob, I've just tried that, but still no joy, still errors when linking
        fluid.
        It's getting late here, I could just be tired, so I'll try again tomorrow.
        Good night, and thanks again,
        73 John G3ZTU

        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Brown Jr"
        <stephen.brown75@...> wrote:

        > I had the very same problems with FLTK and I'll pass along the email
        I got
        > back from Dave on it(this was prior to me joining this group):
        >
        > Recompile and install the fltk library:
        >
        > Use the following to configure the compile from within the fltk-1.1.7
        > directory
        >
        > sudo make uninstall
        >
        > ./configure $* --enable-threads --enable-xft --enable-localjpeg
        > --enable-localpng --enable-localzlib
        >
        > make
        >
        > sudo make install
        >
        > then try a recompile of the latest fldigi
        >
        > Dave
        >
        > That should take care of it, I am running Ubuntu 6.06 and was able to
        > compile it no problems after that, runs like a champ.
        >
        > 73's
        > Stephen
        > N1VLV
        >

        > On 3/1/07, Bob Nielsen <nielsen@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > On Mar 1, 2007, at 1:19 PM, johnrmace wrote:
        > >
        > > > Dave and the crew,
        > > >
        > > > I've been using fldigi on a Fedora Core 4 system for some time,
        having
        > > > compiled from source, but I took the decision to convert to Ubuntu
        > > > 6.06 and start over. The fldigi binary works fine, but in the
        best ham
        > > > tradition I want to tinker under the hood and so I tried to install
        > > > fltk. I nursed it through the ./configure stage after telling it
        where
        > > > to find the X11 libs, but now it won't "make". I think the linker
        > > > fails after compiling fluid:
        > > > .
        > > > .
        > > > .
        > > > Compiling factory.cxx...
        > > > Compiling file.cxx...
        > > > Compiling fluid.cxx...
        > > > Compiling function_panel.cxx...
        > > > Compiling template_panel.cxx...
        > > > Compiling undo.cxx...
        > > > Compiling widget_panel.cxx...
        > > > Linking fluid...
        > > > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
        > > > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
        > > > make[1]: *** [fluid] Error 1
        > > > john@linux:~/fltk-1.1.7$
        > > >
        > > > Before I try the proper place for this (fltk forum) I thought
        I'd ask
        > > > here - has anyone had the same problem?
        > > > My Ubuntu is quite freshly installed, but I did have to instal some
        > > > extra dependencies (gcc etc.) to get through the ./configure stage.
        > > > Perhaps I'm still missing something.
        > > >
        > > > The binary package works great though - thanks!
        > > >

        > > If one installs the 'build-essential' package, it will take care of
        > > gcc and few other things needed to compile.
        > >
        > > I encountered a similar, but slightly different error (ubuntu 6.10):
        > >
        > > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lfltk_jpeg
        > >
        > > Bob, N7XY

      • Stelios Bounanos
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007

          > Dave and the crew,
          > I've been using fldigi on a Fedora Core 4 system for some time, having
          > compiled from source, but I took the decision to convert to Ubuntu
          > 6.06 and start over. The fldigi binary works fine, but in the best ham
          > tradition I want to tinker under the hood and so I tried to install
          > fltk. I nursed it through the ./configure stage after telling it where
          > to find the X11 libs, but now it won't "make". I think the linker
          > fails after compiling fluid:
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > Compiling factory.cxx...
          > Compiling file.cxx...
          > Compiling fluid.cxx...
          > Compiling function_panel.cxx...
          > Compiling template_panel.cxx...
          > Compiling undo.cxx...
          > Compiling widget_panel.cxx...
          > Linking fluid...
          > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
          > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
          > make[1]: *** [fluid] Error 1
          > john@linux:~/fltk-1.1.7$

          [snip]

          John,

          If the linker fails for -lfoo, then it cannot find libfoo.so or libfoo.a
          in its library search path. You can find out which package contains
          libfoo.so using, for instance,

          "apt-file search libfoo.so"

          (you would need to install apt-file and do "apt-file update" first).

          At the moment you are missing libXext.so, which is in libxext-dev.

          On Debian/Ubuntu there used to be a single package that contained all
          X11 development headers and libraries, but with the introduction of
          modular X.org, it was broken into various smaller packages. So of those
          you want libxext-dev, but see below.

          Is there some advantage to recompiling fltk manually? I'm too lazy to
          check the Ubuntu package, but on Debian unstable libfltk1.1
          build-depends on the jpeg, zlib and png libraries, and is compiled with

          "--enable-shared --enable-threads --enable-xft --enable-xinerama
          --without-links"

          This should have the same effect as the

          "./configure $* --enable-threads --enable-xft --enable-localjpeg
          --enable-localpng --enable-localzlib"

          proposed elsewhere in this thread because the enable-local* flags
          default to auto.

          So, John, try installing libfltk1.1-dev instead. This will take care of
          the fltk side of things. You may also want hamlib-dev and so on.

          If you do need to recompile fltk from source, try

          "apt-get build-dep libfltk1.1"

          first. This will bring in libxext-dev and everything else that fltk
          needs to compile.

          Rgds,
          /-sb.
        • Nate Bargmann
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2007
            Did you, as root, run ldconfig after make install?

            Does /etc/ld.so.conf have the directory FLTK was installed into? e.g.
            /usr/local/lib ?

            73, de Nate >>

            --
            Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
            Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2007
              Nate,
              I haven't got as far as make install yet, it bombs out during make.
              When I get that far, if there's a problem I'll know one of the things
              to look for, thanks.
              73 John G3ZTU

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2007
                Stelios,
                I thought it was dangerous to assume everything I'd need would be in
                the build-essential package.
                I was also cautious about using a pre-compiled binary, following
                Dave's advice, but if there's a package out there which has all the
                right buttons pressed I'll give it a try.
                There's enough advice in your mail to keep me playing for ages tonight
                when I get home from work, looking forward to it, thanks!
                I now know why it was easy to get up and running on Fedora Core 4 - 4
                CD's full of stuff! Ubuntu's single disk is a dream to install and
                use, but there's a lot more to download to start tinkering.
                I'm not complaining, it's what this hobby is all about. Fun!
                Thanks again Stelios, and see you on the bands!
                73 John G3ZTU

                --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Stelios Bounanos <lham@...> wrote:

                > > Dave and the crew,
                > > I've been using fldigi on a Fedora Core 4 system for some time, having
                > > compiled from source, but I took the decision to convert to Ubuntu
                > > 6.06 and start over. The fldigi binary works fine, but in the best ham
                > > tradition I want to tinker under the hood and so I tried to install
                > > fltk. I nursed it through the ./configure stage after telling it where
                > > to find the X11 libs, but now it won't "make". I think the linker
                > > fails after compiling fluid:
                > > .
                > > .
                > > .
                > > Compiling factory.cxx...
                > > Compiling file.cxx...
                > > Compiling fluid.cxx...
                > > Compiling function_panel.cxx...
                > > Compiling template_panel.cxx...
                > > Compiling undo.cxx...
                > > Compiling widget_panel.cxx...
                > > Linking fluid...
                > > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
                > > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
                > > make[1]: *** [fluid] Error 1
                > > john@linux:~/fltk-1.1.7$
                >
                > [snip]
                >

                > John,
                >
                > If the linker fails for -lfoo, then it cannot find libfoo.so or libfoo.a
                > in its library search path. You can find out which package contains
                > libfoo.so using, for instance,
                >
                > "apt-file search libfoo.so"
                >
                > (you would need to install apt-file and do "apt-file update" first).
                >
                > At the moment you are missing libXext.so, which is in libxext-dev.
                >
                > On Debian/Ubuntu there used to be a single package that contained all
                > X11 development headers and libraries, but with the introduction of
                > modular X.org, it was broken into various smaller packages. So of those
                > you want libxext-dev, but see below.
                >

                > Is there some advantage to recompiling fltk manually? I'm too lazy to
                > check the Ubuntu package, but on Debian unstable libfltk1.1
                > build-depends on the jpeg, zlib and png libraries, and is compiled with
                >
                > "--enable-shared --enable-threads --enable-xft --enable-xinerama
                > --without-links"
                >
                > This should have the same effect as the
                >
                > "./configure $* --enable-threads --enable-xft --enable-localjpeg
                > --enable-localpng --enable-localzlib"
                >
                > proposed elsewhere in this thread because the enable-local* flags
                > default to auto.
                >

                > So, John, try installing libfltk1.1-dev instead. This will take care of
                > the fltk side of things. You may also want hamlib-dev and so on.
                >
                > If you do need to recompile fltk from source, try
                >
                > "apt-get build-dep libfltk1.1"
                >
                > first. This will bring in libxext-dev and everything else that fltk
                > needs to compile.
                >

                > Rgds,
                > /-sb.

              • johnrmace
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 4, 2007

                  > > Dave and the crew,
                  > > I've been using fldigi on a Fedora Core 4 system for some time, having
                  > > compiled from source, but I took the decision to convert to Ubuntu
                  > > 6.06 and start over. The fldigi binary works fine, but in the best ham
                  > > tradition I want to tinker under the hood and so I tried to install
                  > > fltk. I nursed it through the ./configure stage after telling it where
                  > > to find the X11 libs, but now it won't "make". I think the linker
                  > > fails after compiling fluid:
                  > > .
                  > > .
                  > > .
                  > > Compiling factory.cxx...
                  > > Compiling file.cxx...
                  > > Compiling fluid.cxx...
                  > > Compiling function_panel.cxx...
                  > > Compiling template_panel.cxx...
                  > > Compiling undo.cxx...
                  > > Compiling widget_panel.cxx...
                  > > Linking fluid...
                  > > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
                  > > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
                  > > make[1]: *** [fluid] Error 1
                  > > john@linux:~/fltk-1.1.7$
                  >
                  > [snip]
                  >

                  > John,
                  >
                  > If the linker fails for -lfoo, then it cannot find libfoo.so or libfoo.a
                  > in its library search path. You can find out which package contains
                  > libfoo.so using, for instance,
                  >
                  > "apt-file search libfoo.so"
                  >
                  > (you would need to install apt-file and do "apt-file update" first).
                  >
                  > At the moment you are missing libXext.so, which is in libxext-dev.
                  >
                  > On Debian/Ubuntu there used to be a single package that contained all
                  > X11 development headers and libraries, but with the introduction of
                  > modular X.org, it was broken into various smaller packages. So of those
                  > you want libxext-dev, but see below.
                  >

                  > Is there some advantage to recompiling fltk manually? I'm too lazy to
                  > check the Ubuntu package, but on Debian unstable libfltk1.1
                  > build-depends on the jpeg, zlib and png libraries, and is compiled with
                  >
                  > "--enable-shared --enable-threads --enable-xft --enable-xinerama
                  > --without-links"
                  >
                  > This should have the same effect as the
                  >
                  > "./configure $* --enable-threads --enable-xft --enable-localjpeg
                  > --enable-localpng --enable-localzlib"
                  >
                  > proposed elsewhere in this thread because the enable-local* flags
                  > default to auto.
                  >

                  > So, John, try installing libfltk1.1-dev instead. This will take care of
                  > the fltk side of things. You may also want hamlib-dev and so on.
                  >
                  > If you do need to recompile fltk from source, try
                  >
                  > "apt-get build-dep libfltk1.1"
                  >
                  > first. This will bring in libxext-dev and everything else that fltk
                  > needs to compile.
                  >

                  > Rgds,
                  > /-sb.

                  Stelios,
                  not wanting to be beaten, I persevered with building fltk by doing
                  "apt-get build-dep libfltk1.1" and that did the trick - fltk compiled
                  and installed, and I was then able to build fldigi successfully.
                  I'm on the air again!
                  1.30 works great, save the transmit audio (red) fader on the left -
                  doesn't have any effect, but I can adjust my tx level from the pcm
                  control on the config window. I've always been baffled by audio in Linux.
                  My build behaves identically to the binary download.
                  Thanks again, Stelios, for your help, you got me on the air.
                  73,
                  John G3ZTU