Trouble with fltk

  • johnrmace
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
      Dave and the crew,

      I've been using fldigi on a Fedora Core 4 system for some time, having
      compiled from source, but I took the decision to convert to Ubuntu
      6.06 and start over. The fldigi binary works fine, but in the best ham
      tradition I want to tinker under the hood and so I tried to install
      fltk. I nursed it through the ./configure stage after telling it where
      to find the X11 libs, but now it won't "make". I think the linker
      fails after compiling fluid:
      .
      .
      .
      Compiling factory.cxx...
      Compiling file.cxx...
      Compiling fluid.cxx...
      Compiling function_panel.cxx...
      Compiling template_panel.cxx...
      Compiling undo.cxx...
      Compiling widget_panel.cxx...
      Linking fluid...
      /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
      collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
      make[1]: *** [fluid] Error 1
      john@linux:~/fltk-1.1.7$

      Before I try the proper place for this (fltk forum) I thought I'd ask
      here - has anyone had the same problem?
      My Ubuntu is quite freshly installed, but I did have to instal some
      extra dependencies (gcc etc.) to get through the ./configure stage.
      Perhaps I'm still missing something.

      The binary package works great though - thanks!

      John, G3ZTU
    • Bob Nielsen
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
        On Mar 1, 2007, at 1:19 PM, johnrmace wrote:

        > Dave and the crew,
        >
        > I've been using fldigi on a Fedora Core 4 system for some time, having
        > compiled from source, but I took the decision to convert to Ubuntu
        > 6.06 and start over. The fldigi binary works fine, but in the best ham
        > tradition I want to tinker under the hood and so I tried to install
        > fltk. I nursed it through the ./configure stage after telling it where
        > to find the X11 libs, but now it won't "make". I think the linker
        > fails after compiling fluid:
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > Compiling factory.cxx...
        > Compiling file.cxx...
        > Compiling fluid.cxx...
        > Compiling function_panel.cxx...
        > Compiling template_panel.cxx...
        > Compiling undo.cxx...
        > Compiling widget_panel.cxx...
        > Linking fluid...
        > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
        > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
        > make[1]: *** [fluid] Error 1
        > john@linux:~/fltk-1.1.7$
        >
        > Before I try the proper place for this (fltk forum) I thought I'd ask
        > here - has anyone had the same problem?
        > My Ubuntu is quite freshly installed, but I did have to instal some
        > extra dependencies (gcc etc.) to get through the ./configure stage.
        > Perhaps I'm still missing something.
        >
        > The binary package works great though - thanks!

        If one installs the 'build-essential' package, it will take care of
        gcc and few other things needed to compile.

        I encountered a similar, but slightly different error (ubuntu 6.10):

        /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lfltk_jpeg

        Bob, N7XY
      • Stephen Brown Jr
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
          I had the very same problems with FLTK and I'll pass along the email I got back from Dave on it(this was prior to me joining this group):

          Recompile and install the fltk library:

          Use the following to configure the compile from within the fltk-1.1.7
          directory

          sudo make uninstall

          ./configure $* --enable-threads --enable-xft --enable-localjpeg
          --enable-localpng --enable-localzlib

          make

          sudo make install

          then try a recompile of the latest fldigi

          Dave

          That should take care of it, I am running Ubuntu 6.06 and was able to compile it no problems after that, runs like a champ.

          73's
          Stephen
          N1VLV

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
            Bob and Stephen,
            thanks for the quick help!
            I did install the gcc compiler etc. by installing the build-essential
            package, and it was after that I got the problem.
            Bob, I've just tried that, but still no joy, still errors when linking
            fluid.
            It's getting late here, I could just be tired, so I'll try again tomorrow.
            Good night, and thanks again,
            73 John G3ZTU

            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Brown Jr"
            <stephen.brown75@...> wrote:

            > I had the very same problems with FLTK and I'll pass along the email
            I got
            > back from Dave on it(this was prior to me joining this group):
            >
            > Recompile and install the fltk library:
            >
            > Use the following to configure the compile from within the fltk-1.1.7
            > directory
            >
            > sudo make uninstall
            >
            > ./configure $* --enable-threads --enable-xft --enable-localjpeg
            > --enable-localpng --enable-localzlib
            >
            > make
            >
            > sudo make install
            >
            > then try a recompile of the latest fldigi
            >
            > Dave
            >
            > That should take care of it, I am running Ubuntu 6.06 and was able to
            > compile it no problems after that, runs like a champ.
            >
            > 73's
            > Stephen
            > N1VLV
            >

            > On 3/1/07, Bob Nielsen <nielsen@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > On Mar 1, 2007, at 1:19 PM, johnrmace wrote:
            > >
            > > > Dave and the crew,
            > > >
            > > > I've been using fldigi on a Fedora Core 4 system for some time,
            having
            > > > compiled from source, but I took the decision to convert to Ubuntu
            > > > 6.06 and start over. The fldigi binary works fine, but in the
            best ham
            > > > tradition I want to tinker under the hood and so I tried to install
            > > > fltk. I nursed it through the ./configure stage after telling it
            where
            > > > to find the X11 libs, but now it won't "make". I think the linker
            > > > fails after compiling fluid:
            > > > .
            > > > .
            > > > .
            > > > Compiling factory.cxx...
            > > > Compiling file.cxx...
            > > > Compiling fluid.cxx...
            > > > Compiling function_panel.cxx...
            > > > Compiling template_panel.cxx...
            > > > Compiling undo.cxx...
            > > > Compiling widget_panel.cxx...
            > > > Linking fluid...
            > > > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
            > > > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
            > > > make[1]: *** [fluid] Error 1
            > > > john@linux:~/fltk-1.1.7$
            > > >
            > > > Before I try the proper place for this (fltk forum) I thought
            I'd ask
            > > > here - has anyone had the same problem?
            > > > My Ubuntu is quite freshly installed, but I did have to instal some
            > > > extra dependencies (gcc etc.) to get through the ./configure stage.
            > > > Perhaps I'm still missing something.
            > > >
            > > > The binary package works great though - thanks!
            > > >

            > > If one installs the 'build-essential' package, it will take care of
            > > gcc and few other things needed to compile.
            > >
            > > I encountered a similar, but slightly different error (ubuntu 6.10):
            > >
            > > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lfltk_jpeg
            > >
            > > Bob, N7XY

          • Stelios Bounanos
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007

              > Dave and the crew,
              > I've been using fldigi on a Fedora Core 4 system for some time, having
              > compiled from source, but I took the decision to convert to Ubuntu
              > 6.06 and start over. The fldigi binary works fine, but in the best ham
              > tradition I want to tinker under the hood and so I tried to install
              > fltk. I nursed it through the ./configure stage after telling it where
              > to find the X11 libs, but now it won't "make". I think the linker
              > fails after compiling fluid:
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > Compiling factory.cxx...
              > Compiling file.cxx...
              > Compiling fluid.cxx...
              > Compiling function_panel.cxx...
              > Compiling template_panel.cxx...
              > Compiling undo.cxx...
              > Compiling widget_panel.cxx...
              > Linking fluid...
              > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
              > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
              > make[1]: *** [fluid] Error 1
              > john@linux:~/fltk-1.1.7$

              [snip]

              John,

              If the linker fails for -lfoo, then it cannot find libfoo.so or libfoo.a
              in its library search path. You can find out which package contains
              libfoo.so using, for instance,

              "apt-file search libfoo.so"

              (you would need to install apt-file and do "apt-file update" first).

              At the moment you are missing libXext.so, which is in libxext-dev.

              On Debian/Ubuntu there used to be a single package that contained all
              X11 development headers and libraries, but with the introduction of
              modular X.org, it was broken into various smaller packages. So of those
              you want libxext-dev, but see below.

              Is there some advantage to recompiling fltk manually? I'm too lazy to
              check the Ubuntu package, but on Debian unstable libfltk1.1
              build-depends on the jpeg, zlib and png libraries, and is compiled with

              "--enable-shared --enable-threads --enable-xft --enable-xinerama
              --without-links"

              This should have the same effect as the

              "./configure $* --enable-threads --enable-xft --enable-localjpeg
              --enable-localpng --enable-localzlib"

              proposed elsewhere in this thread because the enable-local* flags
              default to auto.

              So, John, try installing libfltk1.1-dev instead. This will take care of
              the fltk side of things. You may also want hamlib-dev and so on.

              If you do need to recompile fltk from source, try

              "apt-get build-dep libfltk1.1"

              first. This will bring in libxext-dev and everything else that fltk
              needs to compile.

              Rgds,
              /-sb.
            • Nate Bargmann
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2007
                Did you, as root, run ldconfig after make install?

                Does /etc/ld.so.conf have the directory FLTK was installed into? e.g.
                /usr/local/lib ?

                73, de Nate >>

                --
                Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
                Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 2, 2007
                  Nate,
                  I haven't got as far as make install yet, it bombs out during make.
                  When I get that far, if there's a problem I'll know one of the things
                  to look for, thanks.
                  73 John G3ZTU

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 2, 2007
                    Stelios,
                    I thought it was dangerous to assume everything I'd need would be in
                    the build-essential package.
                    I was also cautious about using a pre-compiled binary, following
                    Dave's advice, but if there's a package out there which has all the
                    right buttons pressed I'll give it a try.
                    There's enough advice in your mail to keep me playing for ages tonight
                    when I get home from work, looking forward to it, thanks!
                    I now know why it was easy to get up and running on Fedora Core 4 - 4
                    CD's full of stuff! Ubuntu's single disk is a dream to install and
                    use, but there's a lot more to download to start tinkering.
                    I'm not complaining, it's what this hobby is all about. Fun!
                    Thanks again Stelios, and see you on the bands!
                    73 John G3ZTU

                    --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Stelios Bounanos <lham@...> wrote:

                    > > Dave and the crew,
                    > > I've been using fldigi on a Fedora Core 4 system for some time, having
                    > > compiled from source, but I took the decision to convert to Ubuntu
                    > > 6.06 and start over. The fldigi binary works fine, but in the best ham
                    > > tradition I want to tinker under the hood and so I tried to install
                    > > fltk. I nursed it through the ./configure stage after telling it where
                    > > to find the X11 libs, but now it won't "make". I think the linker
                    > > fails after compiling fluid:
                    > > .
                    > > .
                    > > .
                    > > Compiling factory.cxx...
                    > > Compiling file.cxx...
                    > > Compiling fluid.cxx...
                    > > Compiling function_panel.cxx...
                    > > Compiling template_panel.cxx...
                    > > Compiling undo.cxx...
                    > > Compiling widget_panel.cxx...
                    > > Linking fluid...
                    > > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
                    > > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
                    > > make[1]: *** [fluid] Error 1
                    > > john@linux:~/fltk-1.1.7$
                    >
                    > [snip]
                    >

                    > John,
                    >
                    > If the linker fails for -lfoo, then it cannot find libfoo.so or libfoo.a
                    > in its library search path. You can find out which package contains
                    > libfoo.so using, for instance,
                    >
                    > "apt-file search libfoo.so"
                    >
                    > (you would need to install apt-file and do "apt-file update" first).
                    >
                    > At the moment you are missing libXext.so, which is in libxext-dev.
                    >
                    > On Debian/Ubuntu there used to be a single package that contained all
                    > X11 development headers and libraries, but with the introduction of
                    > modular X.org, it was broken into various smaller packages. So of those
                    > you want libxext-dev, but see below.
                    >

                    > Is there some advantage to recompiling fltk manually? I'm too lazy to
                    > check the Ubuntu package, but on Debian unstable libfltk1.1
                    > build-depends on the jpeg, zlib and png libraries, and is compiled with
                    >
                    > "--enable-shared --enable-threads --enable-xft --enable-xinerama
                    > --without-links"
                    >
                    > This should have the same effect as the
                    >
                    > "./configure $* --enable-threads --enable-xft --enable-localjpeg
                    > --enable-localpng --enable-localzlib"
                    >
                    > proposed elsewhere in this thread because the enable-local* flags
                    > default to auto.
                    >

                    > So, John, try installing libfltk1.1-dev instead. This will take care of
                    > the fltk side of things. You may also want hamlib-dev and so on.
                    >
                    > If you do need to recompile fltk from source, try
                    >
                    > "apt-get build-dep libfltk1.1"
                    >
                    > first. This will bring in libxext-dev and everything else that fltk
                    > needs to compile.
                    >

                    > Rgds,
                    > /-sb.

                  • johnrmace
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 4, 2007

                      > > Dave and the crew,
                      > > I've been using fldigi on a Fedora Core 4 system for some time, having
                      > > compiled from source, but I took the decision to convert to Ubuntu
                      > > 6.06 and start over. The fldigi binary works fine, but in the best ham
                      > > tradition I want to tinker under the hood and so I tried to install
                      > > fltk. I nursed it through the ./configure stage after telling it where
                      > > to find the X11 libs, but now it won't "make". I think the linker
                      > > fails after compiling fluid:
                      > > .
                      > > .
                      > > .
                      > > Compiling factory.cxx...
                      > > Compiling file.cxx...
                      > > Compiling fluid.cxx...
                      > > Compiling function_panel.cxx...
                      > > Compiling template_panel.cxx...
                      > > Compiling undo.cxx...
                      > > Compiling widget_panel.cxx...
                      > > Linking fluid...
                      > > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
                      > > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
                      > > make[1]: *** [fluid] Error 1
                      > > john@linux:~/fltk-1.1.7$
                      >
                      > [snip]
                      >

                      > John,
                      >
                      > If the linker fails for -lfoo, then it cannot find libfoo.so or libfoo.a
                      > in its library search path. You can find out which package contains
                      > libfoo.so using, for instance,
                      >
                      > "apt-file search libfoo.so"
                      >
                      > (you would need to install apt-file and do "apt-file update" first).
                      >
                      > At the moment you are missing libXext.so, which is in libxext-dev.
                      >
                      > On Debian/Ubuntu there used to be a single package that contained all
                      > X11 development headers and libraries, but with the introduction of
                      > modular X.org, it was broken into various smaller packages. So of those
                      > you want libxext-dev, but see below.
                      >

                      > Is there some advantage to recompiling fltk manually? I'm too lazy to
                      > check the Ubuntu package, but on Debian unstable libfltk1.1
                      > build-depends on the jpeg, zlib and png libraries, and is compiled with
                      >
                      > "--enable-shared --enable-threads --enable-xft --enable-xinerama
                      > --without-links"
                      >
                      > This should have the same effect as the
                      >
                      > "./configure $* --enable-threads --enable-xft --enable-localjpeg
                      > --enable-localpng --enable-localzlib"
                      >
                      > proposed elsewhere in this thread because the enable-local* flags
                      > default to auto.
                      >

                      > So, John, try installing libfltk1.1-dev instead. This will take care of
                      > the fltk side of things. You may also want hamlib-dev and so on.
                      >
                      > If you do need to recompile fltk from source, try
                      >
                      > "apt-get build-dep libfltk1.1"
                      >
                      > first. This will bring in libxext-dev and everything else that fltk
                      > needs to compile.
                      >

                      > Rgds,
                      > /-sb.

                      Stelios,
                      not wanting to be beaten, I persevered with building fltk by doing
                      "apt-get build-dep libfltk1.1" and that did the trick - fltk compiled
                      and installed, and I was then able to build fldigi successfully.
                      I'm on the air again!
                      1.30 works great, save the transmit audio (red) fader on the left -
                      doesn't have any effect, but I can adjust my tx level from the pcm
                      control on the config window. I've always been baffled by audio in Linux.
                      My build behaves identically to the binary download.
                      Thanks again, Stelios, for your help, you got me on the air.
                      73,
                      John G3ZTU