Re: [linuxham] Contestia

  • Jaak Hohensee
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
      Contestia is dead mode. Difficult to see any validated pro against Olivia or MFSK16.
      Contestia 250/4 produce 39wpm and -3dB, Olivia 250/4 21wpm and -10dB in poor conditions.
      MFSK16 59wpm and -10dB and BPSKF63 42wpm and -6dB so in poor conditions.
      more info:  www.edutee.net/digiqrp ( Path Simulation tab)

      73, de Jaak
      es1hj/qrp

      nod468 wrote:

      Dave: I wonder if you could put contestia on fldigi?? its twice as fast as Olivia but not quite as robust (because of the speed) but works very well for me..Multipsk has it and so does the dm780 v5..73 Don W1OER

    • Kirk, K6KAR
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010

        Jaak,

        No Contestia is not a dead mode.  I’m finding more and having more QSO’s using Contestia.  Do I wish it was incorporated into Fldigi?  You bet!!  Hopefully in the future, it will be.

        73

        Kirk, K6KAR

        --
        Philw de KA1GMN
      • Jaak Hohensee
        Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2010
          Phil, Contestia have rather value as new or different, not communicational or design value.

          Last times the Olivia itself is very rare used here in region 1 or if used, then mainly by same hams. Seems that mfsk16 with sending pic times more popular.
          My suggestion for Olivia users was to shrink the Olivia 500 channels numbers and to define dx-window with 500/32 format. And to incorporate other most value mfsk-type modes like DominoEX/Thor, MFSK16 to "olivia bandplan".
          Olivia 500/32 is strong slow mode with -17dB but good for dx-hunting when the band is "closed" or when there are present strong QSB - case that is more common in hight latitude areas.
          I had Olivia 500/32 QSO with UT5UBB (abt 1000miles) with 500mW power and ontop was strong psk125 and rtty signal and the copy was near perfect, only some characters lost. The Olivia main value is snr and and this Olivia value not proper used. Contestia and RTTYM don´t offer anything new in communication viewpoint.

          www.edutee.net/olivia

          73 de Jaak
          es1hj/qrp

          nod468 wrote:

          Dave: I wonder if you could put contestia on fldigi?? its twice as fast as Olivia but not quite as robust (because of the speed) but works very well for me..Multipsk has it and so does the dm780 v5..73 Don W1OER

          --
          Philw de KA1GMN

          --
          Kirjutas ja tervitab
          Jaak Hohensee

        • Brian Lloyd
          Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2010
            On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Jaak Hohensee <jaak.hohensee@...> wrote:

            Phil, Contestia have rather value as new or different, not communicational or design value.

            I agree.

            Last times the Olivia itself is very rare used here in region 1 or if used, then mainly by same hams. Seems that mfsk16 with sending pic times more popular.
            My suggestion for Olivia users was to shrink the Olivia 500 channels numbers and to define dx-window with 500/32 format. And to incorporate other most value mfsk-type modes like DominoEX/Thor, MFSK16 to "olivia bandplan".

            I agree with this also. It would be nice to find more stations that would be willing to switch between modes so we can understand which modes work best under what conditions.

            Olivia 500/32 is strong slow mode with -17dB but good for dx-hunting when the band is "closed" or when there are present strong QSB - case that is more common in hight latitude areas.

            Yes. I can regularly work stations with low power (10W or so) with 100% copy even when PSK is poor copy with 100W. I would like to find more stations with whom I could compare the performance of Olivia 500/16 with THOR-11 and MFSK16.

            I had Olivia 500/32 QSO with UT5UBB (abt 1000miles) with 500mW power and ontop was strong psk125 and rtty signal and the copy was near perfect, only some characters lost. The Olivia main value is snr and and this Olivia value not proper used. Contestia and RTTYM don´t offer anything new in communication viewpoint.

            I agree. One of the things we need is a better understanding of how the various modes work under different conditions. In terms of communications efficiency, i.e. energy per information bit transferred, Olivia doesn't seem to fare that well but boy does it get text through when the conditions are poor. The width of Olivia (500Hz) doesn't bother me as the bands are relatively empty right now. I can imagine that could become an issue when there are more sunspots but right now it is pretty much the only game in town for me if I want to have a successful QSO with anyone right now.

            So the big question is whether Contestia actually provides anything in terms of efficiency over the other MFSK modes, e.g. Olivia, DominoEX, THOR, MFSK16. My suspicion is that THOR is the real sleeper but I can't find anyone to test with. I think I have only had one or two THOR QSOs and they both started out as Olivia QSOs.

            BTW, I have had a good deal of success by placing my Olivia signal just above the top of the PSK sub-band. I think that more PSK users will see the signal and try to copy it. I have drawn out some PSK users that way.

            --
            73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL