Re: [linuxham] Re: Microham USB III, Mandriva 2010, and FLDIGI

  • Rick Kunath
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 14, 2010
      On Sunday 14 February 2010 02:35:27 pm you wrote:
      > Here is a snippet from dmesg which seems relevant, but I do not
      > understand what it is saying:
      >
      > usb 6-1.1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
      > usb 6-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=08bb, idProduct=2902
      > usb 6-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
      > usb 6-1.1: Product: USB Audio CODEC
      > usb 6-1.1: Manufacturer: Burr-Brown from TI
      > usb 6-1.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
      > input: Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio CODEC as
      > /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.1/usb6/6-1/6-1.1/6-1.1:1.3/input/input5
      > generic-usb 0003:08BB:2902.0003: input,hidraw2: USB HID v1.00 Device
      > [Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio CODEC ] on
      > usb-0000:00:1d.1-1.1/input3
      > usb 6-1.2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
      > usb 6-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=eeef
      > usb 6-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
      > usb 6-1.2: Product: USB Interface III
      > usb 6-1.2: Manufacturer: microHAM
      > usb 6-1.2: SerialNumber: U3SC1WMI
      > usb 6-1.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

      Something's being seen alright...

      Do you have any USB headphones and do you see the mixer created for them when
      you plug them in?

      There still should be a mixer tab for this somewhere.

      What's your KDE or Gnome mixer show for this card? Is there a tab for it? Can
      you grab a screenshot of say Kmix?

      Rick
    • Rick Kunath
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 14, 2010
        On Sunday 14 February 2010 02:14:16 pm you wrote:
        > More data:
        >
        > In a console, alsamixer -c 1 shows the same PCM slider as Kmix for USB
        > audio CODEC. These move in tandem as well as the Pavcontrol playback
        > audio control for the USB audio CODEC.
        >
        > With Pulse selected in FLDIGI and Pavcontrol FLDIGI ca pture set to
        > USB_audio-CODEC Analog Stereo (but not with Monitor USB_audio CODEC Analog
        > Stereo) there is waterfall and decode! A bit of progress!

        Excellent.

        > Transmitting with the FLDIGI stream on USB_analog CODEC Analog Stereo still
        > gives no output. When transmit ends, there are two "E: flush: bad state"
        > messages in the console where FLDIGI was started.

        Is this the release version of Fldigi or the latest Alpha?

        Rick Kunath, k9ao
      • k8pet
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 14, 2010
          This is the 2010 release with current updates.

          --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Rick Kunath <k9ao@...> wrote:

          > On Sunday 14 February 2010 02:14:16 pm you wrote:
          > > More data:
          > >
          > > In a console, alsamixer -c 1 shows the same PCM slider as Kmix for USB
          > > audio CODEC. These move in tandem as well as the Pavcontrol playback
          > > audio control for the USB audio CODEC.
          > >
          > > With Pulse selected in FLDIGI and Pavcontrol FLDIGI ca pture set to
          > > USB_audio-CODEC Analog Stereo (but not with Monitor USB_audio CODEC Analog
          > > Stereo) there is waterfall and decode! A bit of progress!
          >
          > Excellent.
          >

          > > Transmitting with the FLDIGI stream on USB_analog CODEC Analog Stereo still
          > > gives no output. When transmit ends, there are two "E: flush: bad state"
          > > messages in the console where FLDIGI was started.
          >
          > Is this the release version of Fldigi or the latest Alpha?
          >
          > Rick Kunath, k9ao

        • Rick Kunath
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 14, 2010
            On Sunday 14 February 2010 05:32:45 pm you wrote:
            > This is the 2010 release with current updates.

            I was wondering about the Fldigi release?

            There have been some huge improvements to the Pulse code in the last few
            Alphas.

            Rick Kunath, k9ao
          • k8pet
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 14, 2010
              Howdy Rick,

              Unfortunately, there are no USB headsets at
              hand.

              Because I couldn't see how to do an attachment (perhaps not allowed in this group), I put a screenshot from Kmix and from Alsamixer for the USB audio CODEC into a photo album. The pictures themselves are awaiting moderater approval.

              Both show the same thing, a PCM control set the maximum. Moving the USB audio CODEC PCM slider in Kmix moves the Pavcontrol USB audio Codec Analog Stereo slider on the Output Devices tab.

              Jack
              k8pet

              --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Rick Kunath <k9ao@...> wrote:

              > On Sunday 14 February 20r10 02:35:27 pm you wrote:
              > > Here is a snippet from dmesg which seems relevant, but I do not
              > > understand what it is saying:
              > >
              > > usb 6-1.1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
              > > usb 6-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=08bb, idProduct=2902
              > > usb 6-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
              > > usb 6-1.1: Product: USB Audio CODEC
              > > usb 6-1.1: Manufacturer: Burr-Brown from TI
              > > usb 6-1.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
              > > input: Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio CODEC as
              > > /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.1/usb6/6-1/6-1.1/6-1.1:1.3/input/input5
              > > generic-usb 0003:08BB:2902.0003: input,hidraw2: USB HID v1.00 Device
              > > [Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio CODEC ] on
              > > usb-0000:00:1d.1-1.1/input3
              > > usb 6-1.2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
              > > usb 6-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=eeef
              > > usb 6-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
              > > usb 6-1.2: Product: USB Interface III
              > > usb 6-1.2: Manufacturer: microHAM
              > > usb 6-1.2: SerialNumber: U3SC1WMI
              > > usb 6-1.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
              >
              > Something's being seen alright...
              >
              > Do you have any USB headphones and do you see the mixer created for them when
              > you plug them in?
              >
              > There still should be a mixer tab for this somewhere.
              >
              > What's your KDE or Gnome mixer show for this card? Is there a tab for it? Can
              > you grab a screenshot of say Kmix?
              >
              > Rick

            • Rick Kunath
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 14, 2010
                On Sunday 14 February 2010 06:04:35 pm you wrote:

                > Because I couldn't see how to do an attachment (perhaps not allowed in this
                > group), I put a screenshot from Kmix and from Alsamixer for the USB audio
                > CODEC into a photo album. The pictures themselves are awaiting moderater
                > approval.
                >
                > Both show the same thing, a PCM control set the maximum. Moving the USB
                > audio CODEC PCM slider in Kmix moves the Pavcontrol USB audio Codec
                > Analog Stereo slider on the Output Devices tab.

                Nothing on the recording tab of PA volume control, and the Fldigi sliders
                don't work?

                You could send a screenshot off list to me if you wanted.

                Rick Kunath, k9ao
              • k8pet
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 14, 2010
                  Aha! The FLDIGI is the current release. Alpha's are yet another avenue to explore.

                  The Microham III is such a nice piece of hardware that I am surprised nobody has jumped in with a simple answer proving that the issue is due to a malfunction between the keyboard and chair in my shack.

                  More data:

                  On Windoze Vista, the manufacturer's software shows USB audio CODEC speakers. Windoze XP shows a master and wave and they move the corresponding slider or the blance in the XP mixer. A screenshot from XP is awaiting moderator approval for the photo album for this group.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 14, 2010
                    k8pet wrote:
                    > Howdy Rick,
                    >
                    > Unfortunately, there are no USB headsets at
                    > hand.
                    >
                    > Because I couldn't see how to do an attachment (perhaps not allowed in this group), I put a screenshot from Kmix and from Alsamixer for the USB audio CODEC into a photo album. The pictures themselves are awaiting moderater approval.
                    >
                    > Both show the same thing, a PCM control set the maximum. Moving the USB audio CODEC PCM slider in Kmix moves the Pavcontrol USB audio Codec Analog Stereo slider on the Output Devices tab.
                    >
                    > Jack
                    > k8pet
                    >

                    > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Rick Kunath <k9ao@...> wrote:
                    >> On Sunday 14 February 20r10 02:35:27 pm you wrote:
                    >>> Here is a snippet from dmesg which seems relevant, but I do not
                    >>> understand what it is saying:
                    >>>
                    >>> usb 6-1.1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
                    >>> usb 6-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=08bb, idProduct=2902
                    >>> usb 6-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
                    >>> usb 6-1.1: Product: USB Audio CODEC
                    >>> usb 6-1.1: Manufacturer: Burr-Brown from TI
                    >>> usb 6-1.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
                    >>> input: Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio CODEC as
                    >>> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.1/usb6/6-1/6-1.1/6-1.1:1.3/input/input5
                    >>> generic-usb 0003:08BB:2902.0003: input,hidraw2: USB HID v1.00 Device
                    >>> [Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio CODEC ] on
                    >>> usb-0000:00:1d.1-1.1/input3
                    >>> usb 6-1.2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
                    >>> usb 6-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=eeef
                    >>> usb 6-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
                    >>> usb 6-1.2: Product: USB Interface III
                    >>> usb 6-1.2: Manufacturer: microHAM
                    >>> usb 6-1.2: SerialNumber: U3SC1WMI
                    >>> usb 6-1.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
                    >> Something's being seen alright...
                    >>
                    >> Do you have any USB headphones and do you see the mixer created for them when
                    >> you plug them in?
                    >>
                    >> There still should be a mixer tab for this somewhere.
                    >>
                    >> What's your KDE or Gnome mixer show for this card? Is there a tab for it? Can
                    >> you grab a screenshot of say Kmix?
                    >>
                    >> Rick

                    Sorry, I was out picking up the kids from a trip.

                    The pics uplods were waiting approval when I got home.

                    They should be on the web page by now.

                    Ed W3NR

                    moderator
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 14, 2010
                      k8pet wrote:
                      > Aha! The FLDIGI is the current release. Alpha's are yet another avenue to explore.
                      >
                      > The Microham III is such a nice piece of hardware that I am surprised nobody has jumped in with a simple answer proving that the issue is due to a malfunction between the keyboard and chair in my shack.
                      >
                      > More data:
                      >
                      > On Windoze Vista, the manufacturer's software shows USB audio CODEC speakers. Windoze XP shows a master and wave and they move the corresponding slider or the blance in the XP mixer. A screenshot from XP is awaiting moderator approval for the photo album for this group.

                      I've approved all of the photos. Sorry guys, just a little slow tonite.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 14, 2010
                        Well lets see what Google has to say, 195 hits for ::

                        snd_pcm_hw_params_set_format( pcm, hwParams, Pa2AlsaFormat( hostFormat

                        I would suggest to install Aumix GTK. Look to see if when fldigi starts
                        something is not being muted that shouldn't.

                        You cannot select the Monitor function in Pulse for fldigi.

                        I've seen this before over the years with fldigi ::

                        E: flush: bad state

                        But for the life of me I can't remember the cure.

                        If I were to guess, you are missing a setting somewhere. I've worked
                        with other users and the Microham, and the problem has never been with
                        the audio.

                        OSS will not work, you will need to use either Pulse or Port.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 14, 2010
                          One last suggestion, start fldigi with the --config-dir switch to a test
                          directory. Test the different audio servers 1 at a time, deleting the
                          previous test directory before starting a new one.

                          Ed W3NR
                        • k8pet
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 2 6:46 PM
                            This thread has been about looking in the wrong place for the lack of audio using this combination of gear. The issue was actually related to rig control, not audio!

                            Everything works perfectly with this combination IF YOU DO NOT USE "CAT command for PTT" with RigCAT or the analogous "PTT by Hamlib command" with Hamlib rig control. This is because, on the TS-2000, the CAT command to put the rig in the transmit mode also enables the front panel microphone input -- not the aux input!

                            With RigCAT, use "Toggle RTS for PTT".

                            For CW using PulseAudtio, use the Pulse Audio volume control to set the right playback channel to maximum and set the left channel to a low value (in my case 5) to so the Microham III transmit level potentiometer setting is easier. For QSK, make sure the "Toggle RTS for PTT" is not checked.

                            Jack
                            k8pet