Re: [linuxham] tx / rx 'volume' controls

  • Rick Kunath
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 7, 2010
      On Sunday 07 February 2010 05:35:08 pm you wrote:
      > I'm not getting anywhere figuring out why, with the 'manage mixer' box in
      > soundcard configuration>mixer checked, adjusting the sliders on the main
      > fldigi screen appears to have no effect on anything.

      I don't have the Signalink unit, so don't know the specifics on the soundcard
      in it.

      Does the KDE or Gnome mixer have controls for the Signalink unit on a tab?
      I.e. can the soundcard's levels be adjusted via a software mixer at all?

      If not, you are not going to get the mixer sliders in Fldigi working.

      As far as I know there haven't been any changes to the mixer portion of Fldigi
      for a while, so what you have should be workable.

      Since this Signalink unit is a second soundcard, you will have to alias the
      mixer controls and the then (probably) map mixer elements manually. On some
      primary soundcards this is needed also.

      Fldigi used the alsa-oss emulated mixer to adjust the soundcard's software
      mixer elements. Make sure this is installed. Then make sure the alsa-oss
      emulated mixer elements are mapped to the correct actual controls on your
      soundcard. The package maintainer for your soundcard driver generally does
      this mapping, but it's not always done right.

      I have posted details on how to determine what to do and how to re-map these
      mixer controls (if you need to) on the list a few times. You will find the
      details on a list search at the list's Yahoo page.

      But again, if the Signalink unit has no software adjustable controls, you are
      out of luck.

      Does anyone know if it does?

      Rick Kunath, k9ao
    • o11oo1oo
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 7, 2010
        Roger & Rick

        Thanks for the info. I'll try some more searching of the list here about the 'remapping', but if nothing makes sense to me (I a Linux noob) it appears it won't be a deal-breaker.

        Dan
      • Rick Kunath
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 7, 2010
          On Sunday 07 February 2010 06:43:43 pm you wrote:

          > Thanks for the info. I'll try some more searching of the list here about
          > the 'remapping', but if nothing makes sense to me (I a Linux noob) it
          > appears it won't be a deal-breaker.

          The first thing is to see if there are even software controls for the Signalink
          unit. The mixer for the driver in use should have these shown.

          In KDE (or Gnome) you'd get a mixer window with a tab for each recognized
          soundcard. If you see one for the Signalink unit, you can likely get the
          Fldigi mixer sliders working easily.

          Rick Kunath, k9ao
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 7, 2010
            o11oo1oo wrote:
            > Roger & Rick
            >
            > Thanks for the info. I'll try some more searching of the list here about the 'remapping', but if nothing makes sense to me (I a Linux noob) it appears it won't be a deal-breaker.
            >
            > Dan

            Here is the link ::

          • Mike
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 8, 2010
              Just leave the standard audio settings on the netbook at maximum.  Be sure to tag the Audio Codec soundcard in the fldigi soundcard menu.

              This works just fine with the EeePC 900 and the USB SignaLink in Ubunto.

              Vy 73 de Mike  GU3WHN