Re: [linuxham] to hamlib or not to hamlib (was: Fldigi and K3)

  • Rick Kunath
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5 5:08 AM
      Ed wrote:
      > With hamlib and my FT-450 I can only access frequency and rig mode. With
      > rigCAT I can also select filter bandwidth. With flrig I also can select
      > settings for 10 other rig functions.
      >
      > I think a persons choice for rig control would depend on their operating
      > demands.
      >

      > Ed W3NR

      As for me, I've used HamLib successfully over the years with a variety
      of radios. Also some receivers too.

      One thing I found out early on was that because the development work on
      the individual radio modules is all done by volunteers, mostly the
      person writing the module doesn't have access to the radio itself to
      test all of the functions. So they rely on us to do some testing and
      report back anything that does not work well. I have had lots of luck
      working with some of the developers over the years getting features fine
      tuned or added for various radios I owned at one time or another.

      I generally used CuteCom under Linux to do the testing and debugging of
      the actual CAT commands. This is a GUI based application and works so
      easily for this. Once the developer knows what needs to be seen by the
      radio, it's easy to add it.

      Even just sending along S-meter calibration data to the maintainer for
      your radio helps. I have access to a bunch of communications service
      monitors here so I can generate calibrated signal strengths. And getting
      the table for the S-meter right is something anyone who has access to a
      generator can forward to the maintainer for your radio's module.

      It's always amazing to me how well HamLib works when some of the
      programming is done straight from the manual with the maintainer not
      necessarily having your exact radio in front of them.

      If we lend a little hand, we can make HamLib even better.

      I know I'll do what I can. And thanks and kudos to the HamLib devel team.

      Rick Kunath, k9ao