to hamlib or not to hamlib (was: Fldigi and K3)

  • Pierfrancesco Caci
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2010
      On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 00:39, Ed <autek@...> wrote:
      > Personally, hamlib would be my last choice for rig control.

      Ed,
      can you elaborate on that please?
      I find that using hamlib with its rpc.rigd gives more flexibility,
      allowing simultaneous use of different programs that access the radio,
      versus a single program accessing it directly.

      Pf

      --
      Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2010
        Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:
        > On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 00:39, Ed <autek@...> wrote:
        >> Personally, hamlib would be my last choice for rig control.
        >>

        > Ed,
        > can you elaborate on that please?
        > I find that using hamlib with its rpc.rigd gives more flexibility,
        > allowing simultaneous use of different programs that access the radio,
        > versus a single program accessing it directly.
        >
        > Pf

        With hamlib and my FT-450 I can only access frequency and rig mode. With
        rigCAT I can also select filter bandwidth. With flrig I also can select
        settings for 10 other rig functions.

        I think a persons choice for rig control would depend on their operating
        demands.

        Ed W3NR
      • Rick Kunath
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2010
          Ed wrote:
          > With hamlib and my FT-450 I can only access frequency and rig mode. With
          > rigCAT I can also select filter bandwidth. With flrig I also can select
          > settings for 10 other rig functions.
          >
          > I think a persons choice for rig control would depend on their operating
          > demands.
          >

          > Ed W3NR

          As for me, I've used HamLib successfully over the years with a variety
          of radios. Also some receivers too.

          One thing I found out early on was that because the development work on
          the individual radio modules is all done by volunteers, mostly the
          person writing the module doesn't have access to the radio itself to
          test all of the functions. So they rely on us to do some testing and
          report back anything that does not work well. I have had lots of luck
          working with some of the developers over the years getting features fine
          tuned or added for various radios I owned at one time or another.

          I generally used CuteCom under Linux to do the testing and debugging of
          the actual CAT commands. This is a GUI based application and works so
          easily for this. Once the developer knows what needs to be seen by the
          radio, it's easy to add it.

          Even just sending along S-meter calibration data to the maintainer for
          your radio helps. I have access to a bunch of communications service
          monitors here so I can generate calibrated signal strengths. And getting
          the table for the S-meter right is something anyone who has access to a
          generator can forward to the maintainer for your radio's module.

          It's always amazing to me how well HamLib works when some of the
          programming is done straight from the manual with the maintainer not
          necessarily having your exact radio in front of them.

          If we lend a little hand, we can make HamLib even better.

          I know I'll do what I can. And thanks and kudos to the HamLib devel team.

          Rick Kunath, k9ao