Re: [linuxham] Re: Fldigi and K3

  • Stelios Bounanos
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 4, 2010

      > fldigi assumes all modes, including RTTY, are USB. This was decided by
      > the Alpha testers quite a long time ago.

      Yes, but the issue is RTTY as in "rig mode" and not as in "digital mode".

      > To me it seems that either the K3 or hamlib is the problem, not fldigi.

      Agreed, fldigi cannot know whether the RTTY rig mode is USB or LSB.

      > Personally, hamlib would be my last choice for rig control.

      For me it would be the first choice. Hamlib is an incredibly valuable
      effort and there is nothing else like it in the free software world.
      There is still room for different approaches (rigcat, flrig) to be
      useful, but in no way does that detract from hamlib.

      Stelios, M0GLD.
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 5, 2010
        Stelios Bounanos wrote:

        >> fldigi assumes all modes, including RTTY, are USB. This was decided by
        >> the Alpha testers quite a long time ago.
        >
        > Yes, but the issue is RTTY as in "rig mode" and not as in "digital mode".
        >
        >> To me it seems that either the K3 or hamlib is the problem, not fldigi.
        >
        > Agreed, fldigi cannot know whether the RTTY rig mode is USB or LSB.
        >
        >> Personally, hamlib would be my last choice for rig control.
        >
        > For me it would be the first choice. Hamlib is an incredibly valuable
        > effort and there is nothing else like it in the free software world.
        > There is still room for different approaches (rigcat, flrig) to be
        > useful, but in no way does that detract from hamlib.

        First of all I did not mean to reflect on anyone's work on or with
        hamlib. Hamlib has been the only choice for rig control in Linux for a
        long time. In my case, hamlib would not be my 1st choice for rig control
        in fldigi. flrig offers more features for rig control within fldigi or
        as a standalone. rigCAT would be next choice.

        All one has to do is compare the choices for rig control and decide
        which suits their operating demands the best.

        Now, back to the original question posed by Olaf.

        Sorry for all the confusion.