Re: [linuxham] Re: Fldigi and K3

  • Nate Bargmann
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 4, 2010
      * On 2010 04 Feb 17:40 -0600, Ed wrote:

      > Personally, hamlib would be my last choice for rig control.

      Gee, thanks. That makes all the hacking I've done the past couple of
      weeks worthwhile even if it's not too visible yet. :-/

      73, de Nate >>

    • Stelios Bounanos
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 4, 2010

        > fldigi assumes all modes, including RTTY, are USB. This was decided by
        > the Alpha testers quite a long time ago.

        Yes, but the issue is RTTY as in "rig mode" and not as in "digital mode".

        > To me it seems that either the K3 or hamlib is the problem, not fldigi.

        Agreed, fldigi cannot know whether the RTTY rig mode is USB or LSB.

        > Personally, hamlib would be my last choice for rig control.

        For me it would be the first choice. Hamlib is an incredibly valuable
        effort and there is nothing else like it in the free software world.
        There is still room for different approaches (rigcat, flrig) to be
        useful, but in no way does that detract from hamlib.

        Stelios, M0GLD.
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 5, 2010
          Stelios Bounanos wrote:

          >> fldigi assumes all modes, including RTTY, are USB. This was decided by
          >> the Alpha testers quite a long time ago.
          >
          > Yes, but the issue is RTTY as in "rig mode" and not as in "digital mode".
          >
          >> To me it seems that either the K3 or hamlib is the problem, not fldigi.
          >
          > Agreed, fldigi cannot know whether the RTTY rig mode is USB or LSB.
          >
          >> Personally, hamlib would be my last choice for rig control.
          >
          > For me it would be the first choice. Hamlib is an incredibly valuable
          > effort and there is nothing else like it in the free software world.
          > There is still room for different approaches (rigcat, flrig) to be
          > useful, but in no way does that detract from hamlib.

          First of all I did not mean to reflect on anyone's work on or with
          hamlib. Hamlib has been the only choice for rig control in Linux for a
          long time. In my case, hamlib would not be my 1st choice for rig control
          in fldigi. flrig offers more features for rig control within fldigi or
          as a standalone. rigCAT would be next choice.

          All one has to do is compare the choices for rig control and decide
          which suits their operating demands the best.

          Now, back to the original question posed by Olaf.

          Sorry for all the confusion.