Re: [linuxham] Re: Fldigi and K3

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 4 3:39 PM
      la3rk wrote:
      > Seems that the clue to my small problem is solved. I checked feedback from K3 using rigctl.
      >
      > USB and LSB modes are correctly reported by hamlib.
      >
      > When I set the K3 to datamode, the mode is reported as RTTY. If I change the K3 to alternate sideband in datamode, hamlib reports RTTYR.
      >
      > To me it seems that fldigi assumes that RTTY is on LSB which for the K3 is wrong as all data modes are on USB. I either need to rewrite the hamlib rig driver to trick fldigi into using the correct sideband. It may be easier to tweak the xml files used by RigCat.
      >
      > I am not sure this would work with RTTY, I assume RTTY are sensitive wrt mark and space frequencies, will need to check.
      >
      > 73 de Olaf

      fldigi assumes all modes, including RTTY, are USB. This was decided by
      the Alpha testers quite a long time ago.

      To me it seems that either the K3 or hamlib is the problem, not fldigi.

      Personally, hamlib would be my last choice for rig control.

      Ed W3NR

      one of the "original" alpha testers
    • Nate Bargmann
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 4 5:00 PM
        * On 2010 04 Feb 17:40 -0600, Ed wrote:

        > Personally, hamlib would be my last choice for rig control.

        Gee, thanks. That makes all the hacking I've done the past couple of
        weeks worthwhile even if it's not too visible yet. :-/

        73, de Nate >>

      • Stelios Bounanos
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 4 6:20 PM

          > fldigi assumes all modes, including RTTY, are USB. This was decided by
          > the Alpha testers quite a long time ago.

          Yes, but the issue is RTTY as in "rig mode" and not as in "digital mode".

          > To me it seems that either the K3 or hamlib is the problem, not fldigi.

          Agreed, fldigi cannot know whether the RTTY rig mode is USB or LSB.

          > Personally, hamlib would be my last choice for rig control.

          For me it would be the first choice. Hamlib is an incredibly valuable
          effort and there is nothing else like it in the free software world.
          There is still room for different approaches (rigcat, flrig) to be
          useful, but in no way does that detract from hamlib.

          Stelios, M0GLD.
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 5 3:48 AM
            Stelios Bounanos wrote:

            >> fldigi assumes all modes, including RTTY, are USB. This was decided by
            >> the Alpha testers quite a long time ago.
            >
            > Yes, but the issue is RTTY as in "rig mode" and not as in "digital mode".
            >
            >> To me it seems that either the K3 or hamlib is the problem, not fldigi.
            >
            > Agreed, fldigi cannot know whether the RTTY rig mode is USB or LSB.
            >
            >> Personally, hamlib would be my last choice for rig control.
            >
            > For me it would be the first choice. Hamlib is an incredibly valuable
            > effort and there is nothing else like it in the free software world.
            > There is still room for different approaches (rigcat, flrig) to be
            > useful, but in no way does that detract from hamlib.

            First of all I did not mean to reflect on anyone's work on or with
            hamlib. Hamlib has been the only choice for rig control in Linux for a
            long time. In my case, hamlib would not be my 1st choice for rig control
            in fldigi. flrig offers more features for rig control within fldigi or
            as a standalone. rigCAT would be next choice.

            All one has to do is compare the choices for rig control and decide
            which suits their operating demands the best.

            Now, back to the original question posed by Olaf.

            Sorry for all the confusion.