Re: [linuxham] Fldigi and K3

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2010
      la3rk wrote:
      > Are using K3 and Fldigi. Fldigi communicates with the K3 by use of hamlib. Frequency, mode and rig keying works ok.
      >
      > When using the K3 data mode, the sideband assumed by Fldigi seems to be wrong as the Fldigi readout assumes LSB, ie the frequencies shown on the waterfall moves the wrong direction and shows the wrong frequency.
      >
      > Setting the K3 to USB mode reverts the display on Fldigi and everything is correct.
      >
      > To me it seems that either Hamlib reports the wrong sideband or Fldigi assumes the wrong sideband unless specifically told which sideband is in use.
      >
      > K3 consistently uses the upper sideband when in data mode.
      >
      > Anybody with experience on this?
      >
      > 73 de Olaf, LA3RK

      Make sure the K3 is using USB for Data modes.

      Ed W3NR
    • la3rk
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 4, 2010
        According to K3 manual DATA mode uses usb on all bands. However, fldigi reports this mode assuming K3 is in lsb mode. Changing the rig to USB results in correct readout on fldigi. Either this is a built in assumption in fldigi or the sideband is incorrectly collected via hamlib.

        73 de Olaf LA3RK

        > la3rk wrote:
        > > Are using K3 and Fldigi. Fldigi communicates with the K3 by use of hamlib. Frequency, mode and rig keying works ok.
        > >
        > > When using the K3 data mode, the sideband assumed by Fldigi seems to be wrong as the Fldigi readout assumes LSB, ie the frequencies shown on the waterfall moves the wrong direction and shows the wrong frequency.
        > >
        > > Setting the K3 to USB mode reverts the display on Fldigi and everything is correct.
        > >
        > > To me it seems that either Hamlib reports the wrong sideband or Fldigi assumes the wrong sideband unless specifically told which sideband is in use.
        > >
        > > K3 consistently uses the upper sideband when in data mode.
        > >
        > > Anybody with experience on this?
        > >
        > > 73 de Olaf, LA3RK
        >
        > Make sure the K3 is using USB for Data modes.
        >

        > Ed W3NR

      • Nate Bargmann
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 4, 2010
          * On 2010 04 Feb 07:43 -0600, la3rk wrote:

          > According to K3 manual DATA mode uses usb on all bands. However, fldigi reports this mode assuming K3 is in lsb mode. Changing the rig to USB results in correct readout on fldigi. Either this is a built in assumption in fldigi or the sideband is incorrectly collected via hamlib.

          In Hamlib the K3 backend calls the Kenwood backend code directly so its
          behavior will be consistent with Kenwood models. If the radio is
          capable of indicating which sideband it is using in DATA mode then it
          will need its own custom backend function to pass that information up
          to Fldigi.

          I note that I see the same behavior when using Hamlib for Fldigi with
          my FT-817 that in Dig mode the waterfall is inverted as for LSB. The
          radio itself can select either USB or LSB for Dig mode but so far as I
          know cannot return that information via the CAT commands. However, the
          rigxml for the FT-817 has the waterfall for USB.

          Perhaps what is needed is a toggle to manually set the waterfall to USB
          or LSB if the rig backend causes the waterfall to be inverted.

          73, de Nate >>

        • Jens Petersen
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 4, 2010
            On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 13:40:43 -0000, you wrote:

            >According to K3 manual DATA mode uses usb on all bands. However, fldigi reports this mode assuming K3 is in lsb mode. Changing the rig to USB results in correct readout on fldigi. Either this is a built in assumption in fldigi or the sideband is incorrectly collected via hamlib.

            I am using RicCAT here and the waterfall is correct, but fldigi show
            that K3 is in DATA-R mode (it is in DATA mode).

            Then I edited the K3.xml file and got fldigi to show the correct mode,
            but now the waterfall is reversed :-(

            --
            OV1A Jens

            The power of accurate observation is called cynicism by people who don't have it.
          • la3rk
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 4, 2010
              Seems that the clue to my small problem is solved. I checked feedback from K3 using rigctl.

              USB and LSB modes are correctly reported by hamlib.

              When I set the K3 to datamode, the mode is reported as RTTY. If I change the K3 to alternate sideband in datamode, hamlib reports RTTYR.

              To me it seems that fldigi assumes that RTTY is on LSB which for the K3 is wrong as all data modes are on USB. I either need to rewrite the hamlib rig driver to trick fldigi into using the correct sideband. It may be easier to tweak the xml files used by RigCat.

              I am not sure this would work with RTTY, I assume RTTY are sensitive wrt mark and space frequencies, will need to check.

              73 de Olaf

              --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Jens Petersen <jp@...> wrote:

              > On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 13:40:43 -0000, you wrote:
              >

              > >According to K3 manual DATA mode uses usb on all bands. However, fldigi reports this mode assuming K3 is in lsb mode. Changing the rig to USB results in correct readout on fldigi. Either this is a built in assumption in fldigi or the sideband is incorrectly collected via hamlib.
              >
              > I am using RicCAT here and the waterfall is correct, but fldigi show
              > that K3 is in DATA-R mode (it is in DATA mode).
              >
              > Then I edited the K3.xml file and got fldigi to show the correct mode,
              > but now the waterfall is reversed :-(
              >
              > --
              > OV1A Jens
              >
              > The power of accurate observation is called cynicism by people who don't have it.

            • Stelios Bounanos
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 4, 2010
                Hi Olaf,

                > Seems that the clue to my small problem is solved. I checked feedback from K3
                > using rigctl.

                > USB and LSB modes are correctly reported by hamlib.

                > When I set the K3 to datamode, the mode is reported as RTTY. If I change the
                > K3 to alternate sideband in datamode, hamlib reports RTTYR.

                > To me it seems that fldigi assumes that RTTY is on LSB which for the
                > K3 is wrong as all data modes are on USB. I either need to rewrite the
                > hamlib rig driver to trick fldigi into using the correct sideband. It
                > may be easier to tweak the xml files used by RigCat.

                The RTTY == LSB assumption is valid for many other rigs (apparently).
                Have you tried the Sideband setting in fldigi (Rig Control->Hamlib)? It
                was added for exactly this reason.

                Stelios, M0GLD.
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 4, 2010
                  la3rk wrote:
                  > Seems that the clue to my small problem is solved. I checked feedback from K3 using rigctl.
                  >
                  > USB and LSB modes are correctly reported by hamlib.
                  >
                  > When I set the K3 to datamode, the mode is reported as RTTY. If I change the K3 to alternate sideband in datamode, hamlib reports RTTYR.
                  >
                  > To me it seems that fldigi assumes that RTTY is on LSB which for the K3 is wrong as all data modes are on USB. I either need to rewrite the hamlib rig driver to trick fldigi into using the correct sideband. It may be easier to tweak the xml files used by RigCat.
                  >
                  > I am not sure this would work with RTTY, I assume RTTY are sensitive wrt mark and space frequencies, will need to check.
                  >
                  > 73 de Olaf

                  fldigi assumes all modes, including RTTY, are USB. This was decided by
                  the Alpha testers quite a long time ago.

                  To me it seems that either the K3 or hamlib is the problem, not fldigi.

                  Personally, hamlib would be my last choice for rig control.

                  Ed W3NR

                  one of the "original" alpha testers
                • Nate Bargmann
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 4, 2010
                    * On 2010 04 Feb 17:40 -0600, Ed wrote:

                    > Personally, hamlib would be my last choice for rig control.

                    Gee, thanks. That makes all the hacking I've done the past couple of
                    weeks worthwhile even if it's not too visible yet. :-/

                    73, de Nate >>

                  • Stelios Bounanos
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 4, 2010

                      > fldigi assumes all modes, including RTTY, are USB. This was decided by
                      > the Alpha testers quite a long time ago.

                      Yes, but the issue is RTTY as in "rig mode" and not as in "digital mode".

                      > To me it seems that either the K3 or hamlib is the problem, not fldigi.

                      Agreed, fldigi cannot know whether the RTTY rig mode is USB or LSB.

                      > Personally, hamlib would be my last choice for rig control.

                      For me it would be the first choice. Hamlib is an incredibly valuable
                      effort and there is nothing else like it in the free software world.
                      There is still room for different approaches (rigcat, flrig) to be
                      useful, but in no way does that detract from hamlib.

                      Stelios, M0GLD.
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 5, 2010
                        Stelios Bounanos wrote:

                        >> fldigi assumes all modes, including RTTY, are USB. This was decided by
                        >> the Alpha testers quite a long time ago.
                        >
                        > Yes, but the issue is RTTY as in "rig mode" and not as in "digital mode".
                        >
                        >> To me it seems that either the K3 or hamlib is the problem, not fldigi.
                        >
                        > Agreed, fldigi cannot know whether the RTTY rig mode is USB or LSB.
                        >
                        >> Personally, hamlib would be my last choice for rig control.
                        >
                        > For me it would be the first choice. Hamlib is an incredibly valuable
                        > effort and there is nothing else like it in the free software world.
                        > There is still room for different approaches (rigcat, flrig) to be
                        > useful, but in no way does that detract from hamlib.

                        First of all I did not mean to reflect on anyone's work on or with
                        hamlib. Hamlib has been the only choice for rig control in Linux for a
                        long time. In my case, hamlib would not be my 1st choice for rig control
                        in fldigi. flrig offers more features for rig control within fldigi or
                        as a standalone. rigCAT would be next choice.

                        All one has to do is compare the choices for rig control and decide
                        which suits their operating demands the best.

                        Now, back to the original question posed by Olaf.

                        Sorry for all the confusion.