Re: [linuxham] Waterfall Settings

  • Roger G6CKR
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2010
      On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 19:25 -0600, Dick Kriss wrote:

      > I have been messing around with the fldigi Waterfall settings to
      > find the optimum numbers for my setup. I realize the default
      > settings are 0 for Upper Signal Level and 70 for the Signal Range.
      >
      > When I use the 0 and 70 my waterfall is almost black and I find
      > it takes a really strong signal to show up in yellow. If I change
      > the Signal Level to –5 to –15 the background starts to turn blue
      > and the signals seem easier to detect
      >
      > I wonder if I need to adjust my SignaLink USB to increase or
      > decrease the audio input to fldigi?
      >
      > My setup is a Kenwood TS-570S via a SignaLink USB.
      >
      > I wonder what numbers others have found are the optimum
      > WF settings?
      >
      > Dick AA5VU

      Hi
      Check menu 34 ( AF output level for digital operation) if using the rear
      connector. Mine is set to 5 which gives a reasonable adjustment range on
      the front rx control. Normal setting is then in the middle third of the
      range of the control.
      If I recall correctly there is a link that can be changed in the
      SignaLink USB But I have to admit to forgetting if I changed it or not.
      For Ref menu 33 sets the AF in via the rear connector Mine is set to 1
      73 Roger G6CKR
    • Dick Kriss
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2010
        On 2/3/10 11:59 AM, "Roger G6CKR" <radio@...> wrote:

        > On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 19:25 -0600, Dick Kriss wrote:
        >>

        >> I have been messing around with the fldigi Waterfall settings to
        >> find the optimum numbers for my setup. I realize the default
        >> settings are 0 for Upper Signal Level and 70 for the Signal Range.
        >>
        >> When I use the 0 and 70 my waterfall is almost black and I find
        >> it takes a really strong signal to show up in yellow. If I change
        >> the Signal Level to ­5 to ­15 the background starts to turn blue
        >> and the signals seem easier to detect
        >>
        >> I wonder if I need to adjust my SignaLink USB to increase or
        >> decrease the audio input to fldigi?
        >>
        >> My setup is a Kenwood TS-570S via a SignaLink USB.
        >>
        >> I wonder what numbers others have found are the optimum
        >> WF settings?
        >>
        >> Dick AA5VU
        >>

        > Hi
        > Check menu 34 ( AF output level for digital operation) if using the rear
        > connector. Mine is set to 5 which gives a reasonable adjustment range on
        > the front rx control. Normal setting is then in the middle third of the
        > range of the control.
        > If I recall correctly there is a link that can be changed in the
        > SignaLink USB But I have to admit to forgetting if I changed it or not.
        > For Ref menu 33 sets the AF in via the rear connector Mine is set to 1
        > 73 Roger G6CKR

        Roger G6CKR,

        Good tip.... I just reset my SignaLink USB Rx control to 12 O'Clock (mid
        position and bumped up my TS-570S Menu #34 (RF Output) to 8 on the
        1 to 9 scale. Now I can get the expected looking waterfall on fldigi 3.13BV
        using the 0 and 60 settings.

        I think it depends on band conditions.

        Seems to be working great now

        73 Dick AA5VU