Repositories

  • Curt Givens
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2010
      I thought I had a saved a message that showed the correct way to add a repository to the update manager and synaptic in ubuntu (currently karmic) but alas it seems to have vanished with several hundred other messages when I tried to straigten out some folders in my mail account. I'd be most gratful if someone could post the information so synaptic can update fldigi for me. Thanks

      de Curt KC8STE

    • Martin Ewing
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2010
        You edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list . For more, you can type 'man sources.list'.

        73 Martin AA6E

        --
        Dr. Martin S. Ewing, AA6E
        Member IEEE, URSI, AAS, ARRL
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2010
          Curt Givens wrote:

          I thought I had a saved a message that showed the correct way to add a repository to the update manager and synaptic in ubuntu (currently karmic) but alas it seems to have vanished with several hundred other messages when I tried to straigten out some folders in my mail account. I'd be most gratful if someone could post the information so synaptic can update fldigi for me. Thanks

          de Curt KC8STE

          synaptic and the apt-get command obtain repository information from the same file:

          /etc/apt/sources.list

          You can edit this file with an editor such as gedit, but must use the sudo command for write access:

          >sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

          This is a copy of my /etc/apt/source.list file

          ==========snip
          # deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386 (20090420.1)]/ jaunty main restricted
          # See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
          # newer versions of the distribution.

          deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty main restricted
          deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty main restricted

          ## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
          ## distribution.
          deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-updates main restricted
          deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-updates main restricted

          ## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
          ## team. Also, please note that software in universe WILL NOT receive any
          ## review or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
          deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty universe
          deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty universe
          deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-updates universe
          deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-updates universe

          ## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
          ## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
          ## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
          ## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
          ## security team.
          deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty multiverse
          deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty multiverse
          deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-updates multiverse
          deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-updates multiverse

          ## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
          ## repository.
          ## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
          ## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
          ## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
          ## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
          ## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
          # deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-backports main restricted universe multiverse
          # deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-backports main restricted universe multiverse

          ## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
          ## 'partner' repository.
          ## This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is offered by Canonical and the
          ## respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu users.
          # deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu jaunty partner
          # deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu jaunty partner

          deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jaunty-security main restricted
          deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jaunty-security main restricted
          deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jaunty-security universe
          deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jaunty-security universe
          deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jaunty-security multiverse
          deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jaunty-security multiverse
          deb http://ftp.berlios.de/pub/fldigi/binaries jaunty main
          ==============snip

          Note the final 7 lines.  You should be able to substitute karmic everywhere that you see jaunty.

          You can also enter these from the configuration panel for synaptic.  Whichever you find easier.

          73, Dave, W1HKJ

        • Warren Stritter

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 31, 2010
              Curt Givens wrote:
              > I thought I had a saved a message that showed the correct way to add a repository to the update manager and synaptic in ubuntu
              > (currently karmic) but alas it seems to have vanished with several
              > hundred other messages when I tried to straigten out some folders in
              > my mail account. I'd be most gratful if someone could post the
              > information so synaptic can update fldigi for me. Thanks
              >

              > de Curt KC8STE

              https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Packages

              Ed W3NR
            • Roger G6CKR
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 31, 2010
                On Sun, 2010-01-31 at 16:54 -0600, w1hkj wrote:

                > Curt Givens wrote:
                > >

                > > I thought I had a saved a message that showed the correct way to add
                > > a repository to the update manager and synaptic in ubuntu (currently
                > > karmic) but alas it seems to have vanished with several hundred
                > > other messages when I tried to straigten out some folders in my mail
                > > account. I'd be most gratful if someone could post the information
                > > so synaptic can update fldigi for me. Thanks
                > >

                > > de Curt KC8STE
                > >
                > synaptic and the apt-get command obtain repository information from
                > the same file:
                >
                > /etc/apt/sources.list
                >
                > You can edit this file with an editor such as gedit, but must use the
                > sudo command for write access:
                >
                > >sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
                I read the other day that
                gksu gedit
                is better than sudo gedit as when launching a GUI device as the sudo
                version can change file privileges.

                73 Roger G6CKR
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 31, 2010

                  Curt Givens wrote:

[...]

                  The popup dialog into which you will enter your password is identical to the one that synaptic prompts.

                  Dave
                • Martin Ewing