Re: [linuxham] Issues with 3.12.5 In Kbuntu 9.10 with KDE 4.3.3 (AMD 64 bit)
FLDIGI sound card problems in 64 bit, kbuntu 9.10 karmic/kola appear to be resolved by a recent kernel upgrade release to 2.6.31-17-generic, at least foro alsa
Message 1 of 5
, Jan 10, 2010
FLDIGI sound card problems in 64 bit, kbuntu 9.10 karmic/kola appear to be resolved by a recent kernel upgrade release to 2.6.31-17-generic, at least foro alsa oss sound card use .
The previous sound card problems with loosing tx with either fldigi or gmsk in 9.10 Kbuntu/Ubuntu when calling firefox, pidgin, vlc or other programs that use the sound card appear to be resolved, at last for now
I can now call qrz through firefox with the fldigi call button now without having to reboot to get tx back... which always terminated a deep dx contact. I hope it lasts.
Now I need to test and see if either portaudio or pulse audio are
From: Donald Walters <popadoc_atmo@...> To: firstname.lastname@example.org Sent: Sun, December 6, 2009 10:43:19 PM Subject: [linuxham] Issues with 3.12.5 In Kbuntu 9.10 with KDE 4.3.3 (AMD 64 bit)
I have recompiled and installed fldigi 3.12.5 in Kbuntu 9.10 (64 bit) with KDE 4.3.3 . Compared to the repository version of fldigi Kbuntu/Ubuntu/ Debian repository 3.11.4. 3.15.5 does seem to work ok, but there are serious issues:
1. Fonts are very poor in all the text in 3..12.15, particular the upper left frequency displayed.. All the fonts look like old dot matrix printer fonts.
I don't remember seeing this with 3.12.15 installed in the earlier LDS Hardy 8.53 (which is still there sitting inactive on a second, spare drive ).
2. Also, I notice that the default fonts that at are
available in 3.11.4 are all different from those in 3.12.5. I remember that this was a deliberate change for 3.12.5... Is this a problem with 64 bit
3. How do I change the default starting
frequency. At start up, both 3.11.4 and 3.12.5 start with 3.850, but can I change this. I remember in earlier version, and perhaps is was gmfsk where this was changeable in the startup file.
4. I notice when I run the the PSK browser, then the whole Kbuntu session becomes unstable, there is a ~50% chance that if I start up Firefox or some other program, that the sound card will no longer function...( very strange). At best I have to stop the X session, but usually have to reboot to get the sound back... Ideas??
5. By the way, the ONLY way I could get the sound card to work in Kbuntu 9.10 64 bit was to use ALSA/OSS sound. Amaroc, VLC, fldigi, etc would not work otherwise.
Port auto or pulse audio have never worked in any fldigi version.. (not sure with hardy, but I think OSS is the working sound mode there also)
In any case, I HAD to install the NVIDIA
restricted drivers to get the SOUND card to work in Kbuntu 9.10 64 bit... go figure?
Nada otherwise, no matter what choice of /ALSA/OSS port-audio, pulse-audio that I tired would work. (but the sound card would sound on session startup...!)
Suggestions requested. I can alter and recompile the source code as necessary. (hopefully, without having to alter the kernel source which is now 2.6.31-16-generic)
Don W W9DKI (New to this group)
Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.