Re: [linuxham] Need Elmer Help Please with Yaesu ft 857D USB SigL setup

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2010
      n7mnk wrote:
      New laptop running windows 7 with out serial port.
      USB to Serial converter cable
      USB Siglink sound card
      Yaesu FT 857 D radio

      Download the latest FLDIGI program. I can not seem to figure out how to get control of the radio and frequency display of program? I think I have tried all the various combinations of either setup the Hamlib and the Cat rig setup. With no luck. I am sure its something I am not seeing or doing.

      If anyone can point me in the right direction to go with this it would be much appreciated.
      Do I want the CAT or the Hamlib setup for this to work? What baud rate does the program like from the radio etc…

      Look forward to making what looks like a good program work.

      N7MNK - Arthur

      Let's see if we can't get you running on rigCAT Arthur.

      Download the file FT857D.xml from the xml archives on the main web site: http://www.w1hkj.com/xmls/yaesu/FT-857D.xml

      Save the file to this folder:  C:\Users\<urname>\fldigi.files\rigs\

      where <urname> is your log on name (could be Admin if you do not use a log in name)

      Set your transceiver Menu for CAT RATE (menu #019) to 38400

      Note which COM port your USB to Serial Converter is located.  Let's assume it is COM5

      Connect the computer and transceiver, and start fldigi.

      Open the configuration dialog to the RigCat tab and set up to look like this:

      This is on a Linux computer, so your Device will be name iaw the Win7 convention, starting with COM1 ...

      Open the event log (main menu item "Help / Event log") and set the report level to debug (move slider all the way to the right).

      Now press the Initialize button.

      You should see activity in the event log.  With luck the frequency display on fldigi should now control the radio.  If not I want you to save the event log.  Do that by right clicking in the event panel, "Select All" and then "Save as ...".

      Send me the saved event log to w1hkj@...

      Let the group know of any successes or failures.

      73, Dave, W1HKJ
    • n7mnk
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2010
        Well nope, still no work-ie, Below is maybe some more infor to help.

        I did send a direct email also Dave with the event log. I wonder if since the USB to Serial cable is com port setting in windows 7 may be the issue. It shows Com 2 with a 9600 baud setting? the radio and fldigi is set for 38400?

        Fldigi version 3.12.5 I believe the latest version

        the USB to Serial cable I am using is: Prolific USB to Serial Comm Port (com 2) 9600baud.
        .. that is what is shown in device manger as its name and setting.

        I am using the USB Signalink for sound card.
        I have also downloaded the ft-857d.xml file to the rigs dir. and rerunned the initalize cmd button.

        Well that is what I know thus far... Any ideas?

        > n7mnk wrote:
        > > New laptop running windows 7 with out serial port.
        > > USB to Serial converter cable
        > > USB Siglink sound card
        > > Yaesu FT 857 D radio
        > >
        > > Download the latest FLDIGI program. I can not seem to figure out how to get control of the radio and frequency display of program? I think I have tried all the various combinations of either setup the Hamlib and the Cat rig setup. With no luck. I am sure its something I am not seeing or doing.
        > >
        > > If anyone can point me in the right direction to go with this it would be much appreciated.
        > > Do I want the CAT or the Hamlib setup for this to work? What baud rate does the program like from the radio etc...
        > >
        > > Look forward to making what looks like a good program work.
        > >
        > > N7MNK - Arthur
        > >
        > Let's see if we can't get you running on rigCAT Arthur.
        >
        > Download the file FT857D.xml from the xml archives on the main web site:
        > http://www.w1hkj.com/xmls/yaesu/FT-857D.xml
        >
        > Save the file to this folder: C:\Users\<urname>\fldigi.files\rigs\
        >
        > where <urname> is your log on name (could be Admin if you do not use a
        > log in name)
        >
        > Set your transceiver Menu for CAT RATE (menu #019) to 38400
        >
        > Note which COM port your USB to Serial Converter is located. Let's
        > assume it is COM5
        >
        > Connect the computer and transceiver, and start fldigi.
        >
        > Open the configuration dialog to the RigCat tab and set up to look like
        > this:
        >

        > This is on a Linux computer, so your Device will be name iaw the Win7
        > convention, starting with COM1 ...
        >
        > Open the event log (main menu item "Help / Event log") and set the
        > report level to debug (move slider all the way to the right).
        >
        > Now press the Initialize button.
        >
        > You should see activity in the event log. With luck the frequency
        > display on fldigi should now control the radio. If not I want you to
        > save the event log. Do that by right clicking in the event panel,
        > "Select All" and then "Save as ...".
        >
        > Send me the saved event log to w1hkj@...
        >
        > Let the group know of any successes or failures.
        >
        > 73, Dave, W1HKJ

      • n7mnk
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2010
          Got it working now.. here is what I found.
          The profilic USB to Serial COMM cable I have came with a rigblaster plus that I never used before. When I went to use it with fldigi I went to their web site (profilic site) and downloaded the latest driver or what I thought was and no go that was the problem. Unistalled that and then went to rigblaster site and downloaded their driver and works like a charm now. I am using the CAT config and found it to work now just fine.

          N7MNK Arthur

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2010
            n7mnk wrote:
            > Got it working now.. here is what I found.
            > The profilic USB to Serial COMM cable I have came with a rigblaster plus that I never used before. When I went to use it with fldigi I went to their web site (profilic site) and downloaded the latest driver or what I thought was and no go that was the problem. Unistalled that and then went to rigblaster site and downloaded their driver and works like a charm now. I am using the CAT config and found it to work now just fine.
            >
            > N7MNK Arthur

            Thanks for sharing your success with the rest of us Arthur :-)

            73, Dave, W1HKJ