gMFSK, USB port, ptt

  • ditzian
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2010
      I am trying to use gMFSK and I am having a problem with ptt. Here is my setup:

      xlog
      gMFSK
      no serial port
      no parallel port
      USB port
      Ten-Tec Omni VI
      PCLinuxOS
      no commercial interface, only voltage divider and direct connection from rig serial port to USB via converter cable

      gMFSK is decoding signals OK. gMFSK works properly with xlog. gMFSK reads the Omni's frequency data properly with the following setting: Preferences > Hamlib > Settings = /dev/ttyUSB0.

      However, I cannot seem to find a way to get software PTT to work.

      I set Settings > Preferences >Hamlog > Features to use Hamlog PTT. Then I set Settings >Preferences > Devices > PTT > PTT Device to /dev/ttyUSB0. I get the following error message when I try to operate ptt: sound_open_for_write: opensnd: open: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy

      Then I reset Settings >Preferences > Devices > PTT > PTT Device to None and got the same error message. So the problem appears to be at the place where I say to use Hamlog PTT.

      In each case, after I make a change in a setting, I shut down gMFSK and reopen it.

      Previously, I had gMFSK PTT working on another computer running PCLinuxOS that had a regular serial port.

      Does someone know how to get software PTT to work via a USB port?

      Jan, KX2A
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2010
        ditzian wrote:
        I am trying to use gMFSK and I am having a problem with ptt.  Here is my setup:

        xlog
        gMFSK

        Which version please.
        no serial port
        no parallel port
        USB port
        Ten-Tec Omni VI
        PCLinuxOS
        no commercial interface, only voltage divider and direct connection from rig serial port to USB via converter cable

        That will probably work at very low power levels, but for anything over 10-15 watts you probably want to use transformer isolation to prevent RFI via ground loops.
        gMFSK is decoding signals OK.  gMFSK works properly with xlog.  gMFSK reads the Omni's frequency data properly with the following setting: Preferences > Hamlib > Settings = /dev/ttyUSB0.

        However, I cannot seem to find a way to get software PTT to work.
        Are you expecting to use the CAT command for ptt or a h/w switch controlled via the /dev/ttyUSB0 device?  You should not try to use both simultaneously.  You did not mention which rev level of the hamlib library that you are using.

        Have you tried controlling the Omni-VI using the hamlib test program rigctl?  That might help you to isolate the problem to the interface or gmfsk.

        You might also want to try the latest posted version of fldigi as it also can use hamlib for controlling the Omni-VI.

        73's Dave, W1HKJ
      • Jan Ditzian
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2010
          On 01/02/2010 07:52 AM, w1hkj wrote:

          ditzian wrote:

[...]

          Dave,

          At the moment, the Omni is down with a relay problem.  However, fldgi did work, so that is a fix, of sorts.  The developer of gMFSK suggested that I use fldgi, because of gMFSK's outmoded method of accessing the sound card, so I took that as pretty much the last word.

          As for the interface, I spent a few minutes writing a response to you that brought up my past experience with RTTY, PSK, and running up to 1000 watts output on these modes without a problem, using software modems and control.  Then I said to myself, "Mr. Ditzian (I don't know myself very well, so I try to stay on cordial terms), why don't you open up that little plastic box that contains the voltage divider; I seem to remember a little green Radio Shack isolation transformer."  Well, I took my advice, and did just that, and there it was, green as ever, inside the little box.

          Good catch, Dave.  Others should take note, if you build such an interface (two resistors, one isolation transformer, wire, connectors), use the isolation transformer; the box will cost more than the components anyway.  I think I built the interface, box included, for under $10.

          73,

          Jan, KX2A