hamlib not working under ubuntu 9.10

  • Graham Saville
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2009
      Hi all has anyone got hamlib to work with ubuntu 9.10?
      I have found that after upgrade it now does not work however the
      rpc.rigd does work which seems strange.
      73's From Graham G1RNZ
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 2009
        On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 17:46:05 +0000
        Graham Saville <graham.saville@...> wrote:

        > Hi all has anyone got hamlib to work with ubuntu 9.10?
        > I have found that after upgrade it now does not work however the
        > rpc.rigd does work which seems strange.
        > 73's From Graham G1RNZ

        Did you compile hamlib from source ? If so did you from a terminal

        sudo ldconfig

        Ed W3NR
      • Graham Saville
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 30, 2009
          Ed wrote:
          > On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 17:46:05 +0000
          > Graham Saville <graham.saville@...> wrote:
          >

          >> Hi all has anyone got hamlib to work with ubuntu 9.10?
          >> I have found that after upgrade it now does not work however the
          >> rpc.rigd does work which seems strange.
          >> 73's From Graham G1RNZ
          >>

          > Did you compile hamlib from source ? If so did you from a terminal
          >
          > sudo ldconfig
          >

          > Ed W3NR
          >

          > ------------------------------------

          Hi Ed I installed from the Ubuntu 9.10 repository however I would
          normally run ./configure if installing from source.

          Graham G1RNZ
        • dm5160
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 31, 2009
            More of a general note on Ubuntu 9.10; I'd try an earlier kernel as part of your troubleshooting until 9.10 stabilizes. I've seen issues with the two latest : 2.6.31-15 and 2.6.31.16. So be sure to keep an earlier release of the kernel around. For me the 2.6.31-14 version seems the most stable.
            fldigi version: 3.12.5 (3.12.3 tested also).
            hamlib: stock from repository for 9.10.
            Doug - k4ddm
          • Graham Saville
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2010
              dm5160 wrote:
              > More of a general note on Ubuntu 9.10; I'd try an earlier kernel as part of your troubleshooting until 9.10 stabilizes. I've seen issues with the two latest : 2.6.31-15 and 2.6.31.16. So be sure to keep an earlier release of the kernel around. For me the 2.6.31-14 version seems the most stable.
              > fldigi version: 3.12.5 (3.12.3 tested also).
              > hamlib: stock from repository for 9.10.
              > Doug - k4ddm

              Hi Doug I have tried 2.6.31-14 but this still does not work, there was a
              bug report filed for ubuntu karmic some while ago not sure if it was for
              alpha release but not sure what to try next have found karmic to be ok
              in all other respects. Would be nice to know if others are having
              similar problems as I.

              Graham G1RNZ
            • Roger G6CKR
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2010
                > dm5160 wrote:
                > > More of a general note on Ubuntu 9.10; I'd try an earlier kernel as part of your troubleshooting until 9.10 stabilizes. I've seen issues with the two latest : 2.6.31-15 and 2.6.31.16. So be sure to keep an earlier release of the kernel around. For me the 2.6.31-14 version seems the most stable.
                > > fldigi version: 3.12.5 (3.12.3 tested also).
                > > hamlib: stock from repository for 9.10.
                > > Doug - k4ddm
                > >

                > Hi Doug I have tried 2.6.31-14 but this still does not work, there was a
                > bug report filed for ubuntu karmic some while ago not sure if it was for
                > alpha release but not sure what to try next have found karmic to be ok
                > in all other respects. Would be nice to know if others are having
                > similar problems as I.
                >
                > Graham G1RNZ

                I have the stock 1.2.9-1 hamlib on a 32 bit 9.10 machine which was
                upgraded from 9.04. and updated as needed to currently be running

                roger@bilbo:~$ cat /proc/version
                Linux version 2.6.31-17-generic (buildd@palmer) (gcc version 4.4.1
                (Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu8) ) #54-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 10 16:20:31 UTC 2009

                I have just switched from rigcat to hamlib and can still control my
                TS570 OK.

                Useful site form terminal commands
                <http://www.linuxguide.it/linux_commands_line_en.htm>
                73 Roger G6CKR
              • dm5160
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
                  --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Graham Saville <graham.saville@...> wrote:
                  > Hi Doug I have tried 2.6.31-14 but this still does not work, there was a
                  > bug report filed for ubuntu karmic some while ago not sure if it was for
                  > alpha release but not sure what to try next have found karmic to be ok
                  > in all other respects. Would be nice to know if others are having
                  > similar problems as I.
                  >
                  > Graham G1RNZ

                  Graham, could you be more specific about what you are using to talk to hamlib (if rigctl include command syntax) and the underlying interface and rig? I saw in the earlier post that rpc.rigd seemed to work; maybe elaborate on this as well. Not saying I can help, but others might gain more insight into your problem.
                  Doug k4ddm.
                • Graham Saville
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
                    dm5160 wrote:
                    > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Graham Saville <graham.saville@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Hi Doug I have tried 2.6.31-14 but this still does not work, there was a
                    >> bug report filed for ubuntu karmic some while ago not sure if it was for
                    >> alpha release but not sure what to try next have found karmic to be ok
                    >> in all other respects. Would be nice to know if others are having
                    >> similar problems as I.
                    >>
                    >> Graham G1RNZ
                    >>

                    > Graham, could you be more specific about what you are using to talk to hamlib (if rigctl include command syntax) and the underlying interface and rig? I saw in the earlier post that rpc.rigd seemed to work; maybe elaborate on this as well. Not saying I can help, but others might gain more insight into your problem.
                    > Doug k4ddm.

                    Hi Doug thanks for the reply I have now solved the problem today. It was
                    a some what strange result that involved some human error on my part. I
                    have a comms port card that has three ports on it I have always used
                    port ttyS2 for radio use but for some reason after upgrade the port has
                    now become port ttyS0. I did not think to check that the labels had
                    changed until today and they have now all works okay.

                    My thanks to all those who have offered help

                    --

                    * 73's From Graham G1RNZ Email: g1rnz@...
                    <mailto:g1rnz@...>*