The Glowbugs' Christmas

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25, 2009
      The Glowbugs' Christmas
      ******************************

      T'was the night before Christmas
      And all through the shack
      Not a heater was glowing
      In all of the rack.

      Sitting totally silent and quiet that night
      The old HRO shed nary a light.
      The Johnson exciter and its homebrew final
      Felt cold as leftovers, or seat-cover vinyl,

      I drowsed at my workbench feeling tired and weary,
      The print in the Handbook looked fuzzy and smeary.
      I thought, "I'll make coffee", and groaned to my feet
      When I heard a loud clatter outside in the street.

      What the--? I wondered and turned on the lights
      And there I beheld a wondrous sight:
      A battered old van heaped high with components
      And a grizzled old ham with a bagful of doughnuts.

      I noted his callsign-- can't recall it today--
      But a patch on the side read "FMLA".
      I opened the door and hollered "Come in!
      The coffee pot's heating, and we'll sit down and chin!"

      He spoke not a word but whistled in Morse
      A "GE OM", and "By golly, I'm hoarse.
      Too many contacts, and hot rosin smoke."
      I nodded and poured him a mug of jamoke.

      He emptied the doughnuts in a pile on a plate
      And explained in a whistle, "I'm running real late.
      I've new 6L6s and fine 211s, 6146s and good 'SN7s.
      And 866s and 0B2s, type 45s and mil-spec 807s."

      "For the regennie crowd, 201s by the score
      And good ol' type 30s and 19s galore.
      I haven't neglected the passive-parts run
      There's lots of good iron by old Thordarson."

      I nodded and smiled, suppressing a chortle
      As he reached in his pack and left me a 304TL.
      He whistled, "I'm leaving, the coffee was great,
      But I'm overdue in the neighboring state."

      "Keep everyone building the rigs of their choosing
      Or we'll lose the bands that we're lazy in using.
      Transistors or tubes-- any project is fine--
      Just keep on constructing and sharing on line."

      He leaped to his feet and waved a gloved hand
      As he sprang for the door and his rusty old van.
      I heard him exclaim as he drove away from me,
      "Merry Christmas, you Glowbugs, and to all 73!"