Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [linuxham] How to Work an Inverted RTTY Station

Expand Messages
  • Dick Kriss
    ... I tried the fldigi mode switch and it change the rig from USB to LSB but I still could not decode the signal. FYI, I rebooted the Mac and cannot get the Rv
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 10, 2009
    Re: [linuxham] How to Work an Inverted RTTY Station


    On 12/10/09 9:55 AM, "Dick Kriss" <aa5vu@...> wrote:

    On 12/10/09 9:40 AM, "Ed" <autek@... <mailto:autek%40comcast.net> > wrote:
    >    
    > On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 09:37:46 -0600
    > Dick Kriss <aa5vu@... <mailto:aa5vu%40arrl.net>  <mailto:aa5vu%40arrl.net> > wrote:
    >
    >> I noticed the following spot on the cluster and could
    >> hear the station but could not decode his transmission
    >> using fldigi.
    >>
    >>> 14083.3  HZ1HN       10-Dec-2009 1328Z  RTTY Inverted
    >>> HZ <A61OO>
    >>
    >> Does fldig have a reverse button for working stations calling
    >> inverted?
    >>
    >> Dick AA5VU
    >
    > Yep.....bottom right on the gui "RV".
    >
    > Flips both RX/TX.
    >
    > Ed W3NR

    It is still dimmed out on my 3.13BF and I went to the User Interface
    Configuration/Oper' Controls and the Enable All button checked all
    and I even used the Save button. Closed and restarted fldigi and it
    still dimmed out.

    I have learn from the past to NEVER (ever) use the Restore Defaults
    button on any panel as it is global command for all settings in
    fldigi rather than the setting in the panel.

    Maybe I have to reboot OS X to get fldigi to accept the change?

    Still trying to get the Rv active and the signal is fading.  Like waiting
    on an Alpha to warm up. HiHi

    Dick AA5VU


    I tried the fldigi mode switch and it change the rig from USB to LSB but
    I still could not decode the signal.

    FYI, I rebooted the Mac and cannot get the Rv button to be active. The
    Oper’ Controls panel shows it checked. I am wondering if this is a
    bug in the OS X version?

    I will send a copy to your email address so you can see what I am
    talking about
  • Stelios Bounanos
    ... The Rv button is only enabled for modes for which reverse sideband makes sense, and it only affects how the audio signal is decoded or generated. It should
    Message 2 of 13 , Dec 10, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      >>>>> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 09:55:33 -0600, Dick Kriss <aa5vu@...> said:

      > It is still dimmed out on my 3.13BF and I went to the User Interface
      > Configuration/Oper' Controls and the Enable All button checked all
      > and I even used the Save button. Closed and restarted fldigi and it
      > still dimmed out.

      > I have learn from the past to NEVER (ever) use the Restore Defaults
      > button on any panel as it is global command for all settings in
      > fldigi rather than the setting in the panel.

      > Maybe I have to reboot OS X to get fldigi to accept the change?

      The Rv button is only enabled for modes for which reverse sideband makes
      sense, and it only affects how the audio signal is decoded or generated.
      It should be enabled if you are in RTTY mode.


      --

      73,
      Stelios, M0GLD.
    • w1hkj
      ... The Rv button is mode dependent Dick. It is only active if the mode is sensitive to a frequency reversal. PSK is not QPSK is. RTTY is. Feld-Hell is not,
      Message 3 of 13 , Dec 10, 2009
      • 0 Attachment
        Dick Kriss wrote:
        
        On 12/10/09 9:40 AM, "Ed" <autek@...> wrote:
          
           
        On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 09:37:46 -0600
        Dick Kriss <aa5vu@... <mailto:aa5vu%40arrl.net> > wrote:
        
            
        I noticed the following spot on the cluster and could
        hear the station but could not decode his transmission
        using fldigi.
        
              
        14083.3  HZ1HN       10-Dec-2009 1328Z  RTTY Inverted
        HZ <A61OO>
                
        Does fldig have a reverse button for working stations calling
        inverted?
        
        Dick AA5VU
              
        Yep.....bottom right on the gui "RV".
        
        Flips both RX/TX.
        
        Ed W3NR
            
        It is still dimmed out on my 3.13BF and I went to the User Interface
        Configuration/Oper' Controls and the Enable All button checked all
        and I even used the Save button. Closed and restarted fldigi and it
        still dimmed out. 
        
        I have learn from the past to NEVER (ever) use the Restore Defaults
        button on any panel as it is global command for all settings in
        fldigi rather than the setting in the panel.
        
        Maybe I have to reboot OS X to get fldigi to accept the change?
        
        Still trying to get the Rv active and the signal is fading.  Like waiting
        on an Alpha to warm up. HiHi
        
        Dick AA5VU 
        
          
        The Rv button is mode dependent Dick.  It is only active if the mode is sensitive to a frequency reversal.  PSK is not QPSK is.  RTTY is.  Feld-Hell is not, Hell-80 is.

        Dave
      • Dick Kriss
        ... I changed the rig from USB to LSB and plugged the mouse in the right side of the keyboard rather than the left side. :-)
        Message 4 of 13 , Dec 10, 2009
        • 0 Attachment
          On 12/10/09 9:42 AM, "Ed" <autek@...> wrote:

          >
          > Or you can turn your rig upside down....hihi
          >
          > Just couldn't resist..............
          >
          > Ed W3NR
          >

          I changed the rig from USB to LSB and plugged the
          mouse in the right side of the keyboard rather than
          the left side. :-)
        • Dino Papas
          Dick -- the Rev button is lit in my setup (on RTTY) with V3.12.5 and OS 10.4.11. As Ed (I think) said, the Rev button is dimmed for those modes where it s not
          Message 5 of 13 , Dec 10, 2009
          • 0 Attachment
            Dick -- the Rev button is lit in my setup (on RTTY) with V3.12.5 and OS 10.4.11.

            As Ed (I think) said, the Rev button is dimmed for those modes where it's not applicable.

            Dino

            On 10Dec2009, at 11:13 AM, Dick Kriss wrote:

             
            On 12/10/09 9:42 AM, "Ed" <autek@comcast. net> wrote:

            >
            > Or you can turn your rig upside down....hihi
            >
            > Just couldn't resist...... ........
            >
            > Ed W3NR
            >

            I changed the rig from USB to LSB and plugged the
            mouse in the right side of the keyboard rather than
            the left side. :-)

          • Dick Kriss
            ... Stelios, M0GLD Bingo!! You nailed it! As soon as I changed the mode to RTTY the Rv button became active. The station I was trying to work was in RTTY and
            Message 6 of 13 , Dec 10, 2009
            • 0 Attachment
              On 12/10/09 10:09 AM, "Stelios Bounanos, M0GLD" <lham@...> wrote:

              >>>>>> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 09:55:33 -0600, Dick Kriss <aa5vu@...
              >>>>>> <mailto:aa5vu%40att.net> > said:
              >
              >> It is still dimmed out on my 3.13BF and I went to the User Interface
              >> Configuration/Oper' Controls and the Enable All button checked all
              >> and I even used the Save button. Closed and restarted fldigi and it
              >> still dimmed out.
              >
              >> I have learn from the past to NEVER (ever) use the Restore Defaults
              >> button on any panel as it is global command for all settings in
              >> fldigi rather than the setting in the panel.
              >
              >> Maybe I have to reboot OS X to get fldigi to accept the change?
              >
              > The Rv button is only enabled for modes for which reverse sideband makes
              > sense, and it only affects how the audio signal is decoded or generated.
              > It should be enabled if you are in RTTY mode.

              Stelios, M0GLD

              Bingo!! You nailed it! As soon as I changed the mode to RTTY the Rv
              button became active. The station I was trying to work was in RTTY
              and while I was messing around with the settings and did several restarts
              I my last saved mode may have been CW.

              Anyway end of the problem. The Rv button is not active for the next
              time I hear or think someone is running RTTY upside down.

              Thanks the tip!

              Dick AA5VU
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.