Re: FAQ (was: Top/Bottom Posting)

  • w0vne
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 4, 2009
      > If they are too lazy to read a help file or a wiki, what makes you
      > think they will take the time to document any problem solving or rig
      > specific information. There are very few problem solved messages posted
      > to the list. There is a basic core group of fldigi users that are eager
      > to help anyone, but the lack of feedback hinders the gathering of good
      > information.
      >

      > > 73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL
      Hi Brian:

      I think I started this thread with some lame questions. The answers which include some great ideas on documentation in the modern age and some points that I think are worth pondering. That documentation tends to be not as primary as the program itself.

      I may well be lazy but for what its worth I spent several hours trying to find what I thought were simple answers. I used this forum a little bit out of expedience because I was trying to use the program in a contest and figured this would be a quick and easy way to get a couple of quick answers.

      The links I got pointed to several things I had not stumbled on. That might be me. The brain is not as sharp as it once was. I admit I might not have followed the logic of how the doc was laid out. I'm still used to indexes in the back of written books!

      One question was just a matter of me not "getting" the idea of "modes" being "modems" and that setting up the "modem" was the same as altering the mode for say CW. Modems is stuck in my head as little silver boxes with HAYES on the front with several blinking lights. Clearly this was what my Air Force friends call "A short circuit between the headphones."

      I DO understand that there is a fair sized group of people who buy or download a program and the first thing they look up is the support phone number. And in fact the first call might be "Please read the manual to me over the phone now" When I got involved in Circads development we had an agreement where I would for a time take all the calls from the Ham radio people (Support) because of the discount price I had them agree to. They called me after several months asking how many "idiot" calls I had taken and I admitted most were very good ones that pointed out flaws in our manual or online index. They were astonished because most of the calls they got were "read me the book now!"

      I'm not saying that if the doc is not clear to me its not right. I "might" be but as Chevy Chase once said, "Forget about me. I'm a veg."

      ;-) - 73 de Jay W0VNE