Re: [linuxham] Upgrade OS and fldigi

    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 2, 2009
      On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 16:01:39 -0500
      Warren Stritter <wb4ahd@...> wrote:

      > > OK. Did it right and got this:
      > >
      > Reading package lists... Done
      > Building dependency tree
      > Reading state information... Done
      > The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
      > required:
      > extra-xdg-menus
      > Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
      > libhamlib-utils
      > 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
      > Need to get 0B/129kB of archives.
      > After this operation, 397kB of additional disk space will be used.
      > Selecting previously deselected package libhamlib-utils.
      > (Reading database ... 139925 files and directories currently
      > installed.) Unpacking libhamlib-utils
      > (from .../libhamlib-utils_1.2.9-1ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
      > Processing triggers for man-db ...
      > Setting up libhamlib-utils (1.2.9-1ubuntu1) ...
      > When I did rigctl --list, there was 9 for Ten -Tec rigs but none
      > were for the Paragon 585.
      > Warren WB4AHD

      Well, its listed as shown below::

      1609 Ten-Tec TT-585 Paragon 0.1 Alpha

      I'm using 1.2.10 for hamlib. Ubuntu uses 1.2.9, but that shouldn't
      matter. A newer version of hamlib usauly is bug fixes and adding new
      rigs.

      This is the general area where I found it ::

      2601 Video4Linux SW/FM radio 0.2 Beta
      2201 TAPR DSP-10 0.2 Alpha
      1801 Kachina 505DSP 0.3 Alpha
      1609 Ten-Tec TT-585 Paragon 0.1 Alpha
      505 AOR AR3030 0.4 Untested
      361 Icom IC-7200 0.5 Untested

      Ed W3NR
    • Nate Bargmann
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 2, 2009
        * Ed <autek@...> [2009 Dec 02 15:44 -0600]:
        > Well, its listed as shown below::
        >

        > 1609 Ten-Tec TT-585 Paragon 0.1 Alpha
        >
        > I'm using 1.2.10 for hamlib. Ubuntu uses 1.2.9, but that shouldn't
        > matter. A newer version of hamlib usauly is bug fixes and adding new
        > rigs.

        In this case it matters. The TT-585 Paragon was added to tentec.c on
        April 22, 2009, well after 1.2.9 was released so what is there is
        included in 1.2.10. However, what is there is only a skeleton of
        backend functions that do nothing except return the -RIG_ENIMPL error
        value. The Paragon backend is in need of a lot of development to be
        useful at all.

        You can check
        http://hamlib.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/hamlib/trunk/tentec/paragon.c?view=log
        to see if any new code has been checked in and thus needs testing via
        the daily SVN snapshot:

        http://n0nb.users.sourceforge.net/

        Sorry that the Paragon has yet to receive any love in Hamlib.

        73, de Nate >>

      • Warren Stritter
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 11, 2009

          --
          I have looked for documentation on how to download, and install programs. I have found some stuff that is rather gneric and some that is explicit but nothing that describes in general how to do it.
              The man files are very specific but you have to know how to do it and use the man file to figure out  the details.

          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 11, 2009
            On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:23:01 -0500
            Warren Stritter <wb4ahd@...> wrote:

            > I Down loaded the hamlib 1.2.10 solurce files and found some
            > instructions on how to install it. Here are the steps I took:
            > 1. I unzipped the files by double clipping the tar ball.
            > 2. In terminal I got to the directory that had the source.
            > 3. I entered ./configure.
            > 3. make.
            > 4. sudo make load

            Try..... sudo make install

            You may have to go back and uninstall the old version of hamlib first.
            I do this as a matter of routine no matter the application I'm working
            with. May not be the "correct" way, but it works for me.

            > Everything seemed to work ok and did a search for hamlib and found
            > it in local/bin.
            > I executed rigcTL -l and it apparently found the old hamlib, because
            > the Paragon was not in there and fldigi did not have the paragon in
            > it's list either.What am I doing wrong and where can I find a
            > document of some sort to figure out what to do?
            > I have programmed in fortran, assembly language, and visual c++, but
            > that was many years ago. I'm retired now and maybe to old to do this
            > any more. Warren WB4AHD

            I just Googled "compiling from source" there were 6,790,000 articles on
            how-to.

            Normally you will have

            ./configure

            make

            sudo make install

            Usually in the top level of the application is a readme and/or an
            install file where the author should have defined any special configure
            switches or instructions.

            Ed W3NR
          • Nate Bargmann
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 11, 2009
              * Warren Stritter <wb4ahd@...> [2009 Dec 11 12:26 -0600]:

              > > I have looked for documentation on how to download, and install programs. I
              > > have found some stuff that is rather gneric and some that is explicit but
              > > nothing that describes in general how to do it.
              > >
              > The man files are very specific but you have to know how to do it and
              > use the man file to figure out the details.
              > I Down loaded the hamlib 1.2.10 solurce files and found some instructions on
              > how to install it. Here are the steps I took:
              > 1. I unzipped the files by double clipping the tar ball.
              > 2. In terminal I got to the directory that had the source.
              > 3. I entered ./configure.
              > 3. make.
              > 4. sudo make load
              > Everything seemed to work ok and did a search for hamlib and found it in
              > local/bin.
              > I executed rigcTL -l and it apparently found the old hamlib, because the
              > Paragon was not in there and fldigi did not have the paragon in it's list
              > either.What am I doing wrong and where can I find a document of some sort to
              > figure out what to do?

              As this is the first time you've likely installed Hamlib from source,
              you will need to run `sudo ldconfig' so that the dynamic loader ld.so
              can find your newly installed Hamlib. You can also take a look at
              /etc/ld.so.conf to be certain that /usr/local/lib is in that file on a
              line by itself.

              > I have programmed in fortran, assembly language, and visual c++, but that
              > was many years ago. I'm retired now and maybe to old to do this any more.

              It's a libc issue. Normally when you install software packages from
              the Ubuntu repositories the scripts included with the packages handle
              running ldconfig for you so you never really see it. When installing
              from source we have to be sure to do that step so the system can find
              the new library files.

              Now, it may be wise to remove the old version of Hamlib installed
              through your package manager unless you have other software installed
              that would be removed due to the dependency on Hamlib. The two should
              coexist but be aware that a potential for conflict does exist.

              73, de Nate >>

            • Warren Stritter
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 28, 2009
                I hope everyone has had a merry christmas!
                I finally got 1.2.10 loaded. With some desperate tries I was able to try the new version on fldigi but got a rig does not respond error instead of the error I should have gotten. Also found out the the rigctl program is now rigctld. I think this thread is long enough and, with some exceptions is complete. Comming later may be needhe help on getting rid of the garbage left over from my many unsuccessful tries! I will start another thread on using rigctld.
                Thanks to everyone and a happy new year to all!
                Warren WB4AHD

                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 28, 2009
                  * Warren Stritter <wb4ahd@...> [2009 Dec 28 12:05 -0600]:
                  > Also found out the the rigctl program is now rigctld.

                  Not exactly. The rigctld program is intended as a way for a program to
                  communicate with Hamlib via a network socket. This is useful from
                  various "scripting" languages but also opens up many possibilities for
                  network control. It is still evolving and is still considered
                  experimental.

                  Meanwhile, rigctl is the interactive program for the console (or one
                  shot command) and is our primary debugging tool.

                  Don't spend too much time trying to figure out rigctld unless you're
                  writing a program and wish to use a network socket to communicate with
                  your radio.

                  73, de Nate >>