Re: [linuxham] W1AW Frequency Measuring Test (FMT)

  • Phil Barnett
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 6, 2009
      On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 13:59 -0600, Dick Kriss wrote:
      > Good way to test your fldigi setup.
      >
      > 73 Dick
      >
      > Reminder from ARRL.
      >
      > W1AW Frequency Measuring Test (FMT)
      >
      > The W1AW Frequency Measuring Test (FMT) has taken
      > several different formats over the past few years. This
      > year, we return to the "classic" FMT -- measuring the
      > frequency of an unmodulated carrier. Accurate frequency
      > measurement is required of all hams for both regulatory
      > compliance -- "stay in the band!" -- and operating
      > convenience, particularly on the new digital modes. The
      > W1AW FMT will run on November 12, 2009 at 0245 UTC
      > (this is Wednesday evening, November 11, 2009 at 9:45
      > PM EST). It will replace any W1AW bulletin normally
      > scheduled for that time. It is recommended that participants
      > listen to W1AW's transmissions prior to the event to get
      > an idea of conditions to see which band (or bands) will
      > be best for measurement purposes. Read more at
      >
      > <http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2009/11/02/11175/?nc=1>

      No need to wait for this if you have a rig with A/B slots in the VFO.

      Tune to the highest WWV signal you can get, or CHU.
      (for example, 10,000,000 hz)

      Select LSB

      Tune up from the expected frequency 1khz. (10,001,000 hz)

      Toggle the A/B button

      Select USB

      Tune down from the expected frequency 1khz. (09,999,000 hz)

      Watch the waterfall.

      Toggle the A/B button.

      If the 1khz carrier line stays lined up when you toggle, your radio is
      on frequency.

      It is important to use the highest frequency you can find active.
    • Nate Bargmann
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 6, 2009
        * Dick Kriss <aa5vu@...> [2009 Nov 06 13:59 -0600]:
        > Good way to test your fldigi setup.

        I've used Fldigi for my entry the past few years. I use the log Fldigi
        generates into a spreadsheet and try to refine those numbers into a
        reliable frequency error. The tip about practicing with WWV is sound
        advice. Also, keep your radio temperature stable. It is interesting
        to watch the frequency error as the room temperature changes.
        Participating in the FMTs is an eye opener as we are often times fooled
        by the apparent stability of the digital readouts.

        73, de Nate >>

      • Dick Kriss
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 7, 2009
          No joy! Got all dressed and ready and could not hear
          W1AW, WA6ZTY on the West coast or K5CM, in
          Oklahoma. The FMT was a bust.

          73 Dick AA5VU
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 7, 2009
            On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 06:55:41 -0600
            Dick Kriss <aa5vu@...> wrote:

            > No joy! Got all dressed and ready and could not hear
            > W1AW, WA6ZTY on the West coast or K5CM, in
            > Oklahoma. The FMT was a bust.
            >
            > 73 Dick AA5VU

            Were you not about 5 days early for your "date" ?

            http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2009/11/02/11175/?nc=1

            Ed W3NR
          • Dick Kriss
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 7, 2009
              On 11/7/09 7:09 AM, "Ed" <autek@...> wrote:

              > Were you not about 5 days early for your "date" ?
              >
              > http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2009/11/02/11175/?nc=1
              >
              > Ed W3NR

              Daylight Savings time must have caused a brain freeze
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 7, 2009
                Dick Kriss <aa5vu@...> wrote:

                > No joy! Got all dressed and ready and could not hear
                > W1AW, WA6ZTY on the West coast or K5CM, in
                > Oklahoma. The FMT was a bust.
                >
                > 73 Dick AA5VU

                Overlooking Dick's "senior moment" has anyone tried using the
                Frequency Analysis against WWV or another time standard ?

                I had some interesting results with WWV and my Icom 735, which is
                getting near to 20 years old. Was surprised to see how accurate it
                still is. My best was -0.04, not bad.

                Ed W3NR
              • Dick Kriss

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 11, 2009
                    * Dick Kriss <aa5vu@...> [2009 Nov 11 17:46 -0600]:
                    > Reminder.... I hope I have the date correct this time

                    Yup. Tonight at 8:45 PM CST.

                    73, de Nate >>

                  • Dick Kriss
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 11, 2009
                      Should the rig be in USB, CW or AM mode?

                      I plan to run with the rig in USB but have fldigi in Freq Analysis mode.

                      I plan to park on the ARRL stated frequency in the QSO Freq box and
                      log the offset by mousing on the test tone.

                      I hope this is correct.

                      Dick AA5VU
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 11, 2009
                        Dick Kriss wrote:
                        > Should the rig be in USB, CW or AM mode?
                        >
                        > I plan to run with the rig in USB but have fldigi in Freq Analysis mode.
                        >
                        > I plan to park on the ARRL stated frequency in the QSO Freq box and
                        > log the offset by mousing on the test tone.
                        >
                        > I hope this is correct.
                        >
                        > Dick AA5VU

                        Practice with W1AW on 5, 10, 15 MHz or the Canadian standard on 6 MHz.

                        Set the transceiver to USB
                        Put the frequency 1 KHz lower than the carrier frequency. That will put
                        the tone at 1 KHz.

                        Set the waterfall to X4 mode with the waterfall cursor at 1000 Hz.

                        Adjust the waterfall cursor by +/- 1 Hz increments until the analyzer is
                        tracking the carrier. Either use the mouse click, the mouse wheel or
                        the frequency control below the waterfall. All will work. Let the
                        analyzer stabilize (about 1 to 2 minutes). The Readout in the status
                        bar is the measured frequency. You can then calculate your offset on
                        each of the four frequencies. Use these values for the transceiver
                        calibration curve so you can apply the corrections the to FMT measurements.

                        Good Luck all.

                        73, Dave, W1HKJ